Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 House building is in full swing!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic House building is in full swing! Next Topic  

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  6:44:56 PM  Show Profile
So much going on! The house is now completely framed and we have three giant porches! The front porch is 8x63 and the back porches are 32x11 with one up and one on the walkout basement.

I bought an 1880's barn that had been knocked down during a tornado so we are pulling all the beams out to use in the new house. It has been hot, dirty, fun and a treasure hunt! We have found the hay pulley system, loads of old tools, wooden pulleys and (my favorite) a cast iron farm bell that is over a foot wide and in mint condition! We did some research and the foundry is still in business but this bell dates to about 1886.

We are putting a cast iron footed tub (craigslist) in the main bathroom because those fiberglass things are unsightly and this was only $100.

We are trying to add as much reclaimed stuff as we can. New houses don't come with personality and history so we are building it in.

Can't wait to be out on our land!!!

I always have problems posting pics so I may try later.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  7:46:09 PM  Show Profile
How exciting, its always fun to see things finally coming together. The porches sound wonderful, can't wait to see pics when you are able.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  9:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on building your new home! Sounds very exciting and you have some awesome finds. I like how you are incorporating some materials from an old barn into the house. I have an 1898 farmhouse that is made entirely of concrete block. Has lots of character.

Annette
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  10:24:15 AM  Show Profile
How exciting!!! Good luck and congrats to you. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  12:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful! I can't wait to see the photographs! I love the old beams in new buildings.

Bernadine
Farmgirl #121
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic House building is in full swing! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page