mrstillery09
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Monteca
Excelsior Springs Missouri
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  10:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for such a vague subject line, I knew I couldn't fit it all in there! This may end up being a really silly question, but I'm kind of wondering what I should do. I've been lurking awhile and ya'll have such great advice so I thought I'd see what you have to say.

My husband and I just bought our first home, which happens to be a mobile home. This place just seems perfect for us, it'll be paid for in about 8 years, and it sits on 2/3 of an acre. It's not a lot of square footage, or a lot of acres, but it's great for starting out. My problem is I was raised thinking that people who lived in mobile homes are white trash. Everyone in my family knows we have a home of our own but they don't know that it's a mobile, and I don't know if I should mention it. Part of me thinks a home is a home and it shouldn't matter what it is, and another part of me feels awkward not mentioning it. My plan was for people to come see it and me not even broaching the subject.

What do you ladies think though? Am I worrying about nothing?

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  11:19:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I do think you are worrying for nothing. You said it yourself ... a home is a home. I'm sure your family will see that. Good luck.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

CheesemakerBeth
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Beth
PALESTINE Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  11:22:36 AM  Show Profile
I hope you are worrying about nothing! I would hope my friends and family don't judge me because they have bigger, fancier homes. If you are proud of your place, keep it up as best as you can, and enjoy your life, try not to let others make you feel bad even if they try!
God Bless!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  11:30:16 AM  Show Profile
WOW, if anyone looked at you any differant because you have a mobile home, they should not be ones to have in your life...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  11:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree with the other ladies- It doesn't matter what type of home you have- it's fantastic that you have a home! Yes, there are sterotypes but that definitly does not mean that they apply to you! Way to go on getting a home! We are still renting and I am very jealous over here! ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  11:38:10 AM  Show Profile
mrsstillery09 : I know exactly where you are coming from. My thought is (and because I am in the same situation) at least I have a roof over my head. If I extend that hand of friendship and invite people to my home and they judge me based on the type of home I have, then they really aren't that good of a friend anyways. Just saying girl! There are a lot worse places to live than a mobile home. You are blessed! Embrace it!
hugs
jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:29:23 PM  Show Profile
I could never and still never understand how or why would someone judge a book by its cover; in this case, living in a mobile home. Please, don't waste your thoughts on such nonsense. Friends don't judge. I bet you have one beautiful home. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:32:54 PM  Show Profile
If your friends judge you for living in a mobile home, those aren't the friends to keep. A home is where you make it!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

mrstillery09
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Monteca
Excelsior Springs Missouri
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  1:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh thank you all so much!! I truly was worrying on this way too much. I'm hoping no one cares or mentions it, but sometimes people sure can surprise you. I am truly so happy and content where I am, so I hope that feeling carries over to anyone who visits. Thank you all so, so much!
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  1:56:44 PM  Show Profile
Count yourself blessed!

I was almost a homeowner, once. Then my ex left us. We have lived in apartments, and shared family homes, but I've never had a home of my own. I would dance a jig to the moon and back for a home!

Be house proud!!! Family will love you because you're family, not because of your home!!!

P.S I make my home where my heart is, with my kids!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  2:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Monteca: If you are truly happy and content you will pass it own to any one who visits. You sound like a beautiful and joyful person, I bet you are.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  6:52:44 PM  Show Profile
What is important is that it is your home. I have rented for all of my adult life. As I get older, I realize I don't want to have a large home: Too much to clean, too much to furnish, higher taxes, etc. Now that my husband and I are finally employed full-time again (as of this past Monday!) after 18 months of unemployment, I would love to have a mobile home and that is what we are planning for. In fact, I almost made a post last weekend asking farmgirls to post pictures of their mobile home "decorating".

I'd rather spend time decorating a smaller home, crafting, and gardening rather than concerning myself with what others may think. I wish you many happy times in your new home!

Call to farmgirls. . . I'm sure Monteca (like me!) would enjoy seeing pictures of how you make the best of a mobile home, inside and out!

Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  6:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Embrace what you have and who you are- not the type of "structure" that you live in. Regardless of he actual structure, it is your home. I actually think you are one smart cookie!!! How many of us here can say we could pay off our homes in 8 years??? Good for you. As the other gals said- if someone were to judge you for the "type" of home that you live in, then they are not worth having in your life.
Enjoy your wonderful home!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  9:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with everyone else, friends like that you don"t need, the house I raised my kids in and still live most people would turn the noses up too, but I don't care I have 13 acres, when I divorced my husband not one room in the house was finished, the kids and worked on, and as I can I am still working on it 34 years later. It's my little piece of heaven! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  05:44:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow I agree with all the other ladies you should not worry about such a thing. Enjoy your home. My DH and I started out in a mobile home . I loved it. We lived there for 9 years. We saved as much as possible and then built our home. I would go back to my little mobile home in a heart beat. Such wonderful memories there. Thanks for bringing those memories back to me.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  3:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on outgrowing the prejudice behind terms like "white trash." I've known trashy people of all races who live in palatial houses, penthouse apartments and more than a few governor's mansions, and the most wonderful people who live very modestly. I wouldn't hesitate to cross anyone off my friend list who still harbors such backward thinking. Who needs that?

That said, if you want to face people's prejudices with humor, you could send out "we've moved" with pink flamingos and beer cans on the front and inside, "Come visit us to see how we're classing up the neighborhood."

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 11 2012 3:20:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  6:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Enjoy your home, I had to have a sit down with my mom when we started looking for houses and told her not to say anything if we bought a "pre-fabricated" home. It was hard for me because, I was raised the same way, but there are so many that I know that have pre-fab homes and they are truely wonderful.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

Rustic Reb
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Rebecca
Pickford Michigan
97 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  04:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary! Loved the classing up the neighborhood idea! I am rentiing a trailer while I work on my project property.

Don't be sorry that it's over... Be glad that it happened.
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Colina
Homosassa FL
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Send rubyleesmom a Yahoo! Message
We moved from a block home in a nice subdivision to a doublewide and acreage and I would not trade it for the world! It is not the home you live in that makes you, it is the life you make in that home that counts! I agree with the others.. family or not, noone has the right to judge you on something like that.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  10:26:26 PM  Show Profile
We have a trailer too and I say to Hades with the people who have a problem with it,it's paid for,the land is paid for and not many people with big fancy homes can say that anytime soon.
Trailers can be real cute and cozy and easy on the budget to decorate.
I have dealt with a few comments from friends and relations about our home but I don't let it bother me,I just put on my good old Johnny Cash album with the song "Country Trash" and I sing along with old Johnny while washing dishes in my little trailer home,that song always makes me smile and feel content wherever I am and with whatever I have.
Bloom where you are planted!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  12:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Count your blessings and be lucky that you are one of the more fortunate people who have not been foreclosed on because you spent way beyond your means on purchasing a home. Trailers, even though they lose value over time, are a good place to start. You can build at the back of your lot later when you can afford something more.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile
all I can say is...is here cars with no wheels jacked up in your front yard?........is your lawn furniture car & truck seats.....are the candles placed in old used smelly beer cans?...do you have a 'crew' spit can near the front door?...if no to these then honey you sure ain't white trash...xoxo....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  2:19:38 PM  Show Profile
You are right!!!!! A home is a home. And it is also what you make it. Make it cozy, full of love, warm and welcoming. I have not read all the posts, but I am sure you have been very encouraged by all others as well. There was a time when a sod house or a log house was also thought of as too rustic or too unsohpisticated. And look how they turned out!!! They made history!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

summer girl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

summer
llano tx
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  12:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Your friends and family do know that you are not white trash and if someone says you are tell them to leave your property now. There are worce living arangements then mobile homes. Take it form some one who has lived in houces, tents, cars, ships, and a teepee or two a house is just a house it takes a heart to make it a home.

do what you love, love what you do
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  4:47:19 PM  Show Profile
I think it's all about how you maintain it. My mom owns a mobile home and there is no way in heck she is white trash. She keeps up her lawn and has pretty flowers planted. She has some lawn ornaments but doesn't have junk all over the place. I think when people have junk all over and let their lawns go crazy it tends to look a little "trashy." I've seen houses like that. It has nothing to do with what type of home it is.

Forget anyone that would tell you you're white trash for owning a mobile home. I say congratulations on your new home!!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  09:39:39 AM  Show Profile
I have to laugh at this for two reasons.

1- When we were all graduating from high school, I was so IN AWE of a couple of my friends who rented a trailor. It was just SO cool.
2- Think of how many people RETIRE and buy an RV! It's something they long for and strive for - including me! My husband and I would LOVE to do this when we retire. Just totally downsize, simplify and get basic.

I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.

lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Mobile Home...Should I Tell? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page