Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 do you have a written out "emergency" plan?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic do you have a written out "emergency" plan? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Mom and i were talking the other day about how none of us really knows what anyone else does on our farm. Meaning we all (the four adults) have certain animals and things we take care of and that's just how it is. well, Mom had to leave overnight and left this big list of all the things we had to take care of since she would be gone and it got us to wondering...what if there was a situation where none of us were home (got stuck in a blizzard, car trouble, family emergency) and we had all these animals and farm stuff that needed to be tended to...what would we do? My mom was wondering if any of you farmgals who have farms have a written out to-do list in case someone else (a neighbor, a friend) had to take care of your farm suddenly?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  6:03:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't have anything written out but that's a great idea! I work at night. If I don't leave a to-do list for the spouse and kids for the evening then heaven only knows what I'll come home to!

Annette
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Amy, we do have a plan, I am blessed enough that my grown daughter and grandson and my son and his wife live on the property in there own houses. My brother-in-law and sil also live at the front of our property, everyone knows how to tend to my animals if something should happen. They know where the feed is and how much to feed, they know who goes into what house. I also have it written down, and posted in the barn, that way if things change, I make the changes on the clipboard. Its always up to date. I really don't have to worry about a neighbor helping, because I have enough family here. I also have the vet, and where and what brand and percent of feed I purchase. and any other emergency numbers I can think of. We were close to the fires in Texas last year, and we were put on alert, we packed up what we could, and was ready to be evacuated, I had given orders who was to go and let what animals out of cages, and pens, just let them go. They would not let me evacuate animals, only horses and cows, were taken out earlier, and your household pets could go in car with you. But I could not let them burn up in their cages, I just wanted them to go free.
We learned from that to make sure what was important to go into car, as they also would not let us pull a trailer out. It was tough, but we made it. Said all that to say, we had a plan so that we knew where each family member would go, and where we were to meet. such as the homedepot parking lot. Afterward we all discussed, if it or any other weather related accident would happen, what is important to take, and where to go. Hope this all makes since, sorry to be so long. Linda Farmgirl #946
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  8:44:55 PM  Show Profile
We have emergency plans written out/typed out for hurricane evacuations. Our animals come with us. Emergency plans are a good thing to have and to learn and to have the whole family aware of them.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2012 :  10:35:07 AM  Show Profile
I have a binder I keep updated on all important info. Dr.s, accounts, phone#, bills, everything. So if anything were to happen it is a grab and go sorta thing.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  6:08:27 PM  Show Profile
I have to admit I've been lax about this. No excuse for that! Especially since we live in an old farmhouse and our bedroom is right over the kitchen & utility room. No basement to sit out tornado warnings either. At the very least, we should have a rope ladder. Thank you for bringing this important thing to our attention.
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  05:37:35 AM  Show Profile
We keep meaning to type something up. We write it all out every time we leave. We each take about half a page to explain our chores which seems to always surprise us the a amount of stuff we each do everyday. I just might have to type it up today to save us time next time, or for when there just isn't time. Thanks for the reminder.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic do you have a written out "emergency" plan? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page