Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Rubber floor? Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  2:00:43 PM  Show Profile
People have often suggested I might wind up in a rubber room someday (slang for looney bin, if you don't know the term)! Anyway, I'm getting interested in covering the cement floor of my 6'x12' pantry with interlocking tiles (they're big -- about 2 feet square) made of recycled rubber. It comes in varying thicknesses, with 3/8-inch probably best for my needs. This stuff is naturally impervious to mold, mildew, cat messes etc., and adds comfort under foot. I imagine it might help with insulation, since the room is cold in winter. Anyway, I know some people use this stuff in barns, kennel runs, etc. anybody have any experience or advice to share?

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 29 2012 3:13:31 PM

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  8:12:49 PM  Show Profile
I personally don't have horses yet, but rubber matting is great. for relieving foot, leg and back pain when standing in one place for an extended time period. The matting can be heavy to move if in one piece. I'm not sure about the one's that interlock. You would have to still move the mats to clean under them as I have experience in cleaning stalls with matting in them.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  07:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, Lorena. I'd be doing mine wall-to-wall, if I do it. Hope you get your horses someday!

Your manners will define you wherever you go. Never forget it.
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  2:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Just keep in mind that these are rubber and can't breath, so you will have a condensation build up especially on concrete in a damp basement.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  5:12:45 PM  Show Profile
That's an excellent point, Lorena, and one I hadn't considered. Mold and mildew would just collect between the cement and the rubber! Ugh.

In any case, I stopped by my favorite floor/carpet place in town today and made a deal with the owner for very nice wood-look laminate strips that fit together seamlessly over a thin, soft but very durable substrate. When all in place, the surface is easy to keep clean and will look very nice. When I can afford to do it, I can do the kitchen in it as well.

After reading your last comment, I'm really glad I avoided making the mistake of investing in the rubber. It seemed like such a great idea. My floor guy also said, as you did, that the smell is really strong. I imagine my cats would have objected to it.

Farmgirls rule! Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  06:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey no problem. I that rubber is expensive too. It would be such a waste of money. And frustrating as well.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  09:44:58 AM  Show Profile
I found places online that sell the big interlocking squares for about $14 each -- that's 4 square feet, so not too bad, especially considering you don't need any underlayment. I'm actually spending about 4 times more for this other stuff, but I think it'll be better. The rubber smell was the deal-breaker.
Go to Top of Page

felixfelicis
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Rachel
Denver CO
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  9:56:40 PM  Show Profile
I've helped install tiles made of recycled tires all around two stories of wraparound deck. I'm not sure if this is the same stuff you're thinking of using but it was really easy, snapped together like legos, but not so easy that they didn't feel sturdy. What I installed were an inch or so high, and plenty of that hight was hollow space underneath with columns and supports underneath to hold the weight. What I mean to say is that these didn't sit flush to the floor everywhere, which probably won't solve the problem of condensation and mildew but may give it more of a chance to alleviate itself than you're thinking.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
-Bertrand Russell

Edited by - felixfelicis on Sep 04 2012 9:57:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  12:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Rachel. I've decided against rubber in the house, but I can see it would be terrific in other settings, such as you describe. It would have been perfect for me if not for the strong smell.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Rubber floor? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page