teryouth54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Terry
Bark River MI
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  4:53:20 PM  Show Profile
When working on my Green Energy merit badge, I found a comparison & contrast of the methods of energy used in our area-- that includes Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana & Wisconsin--right in my own electric bill! Our company--UPPCo--uses coal primarily, but also uses nuclear, gas, oil, hydroelectric, & renewable sources. It amazes me what other areas use. My hubby worked at 2 of UPPCo's power plants. Both were coal fed. He has done a lot of research on this & has found, including his experience, that coal can be cleaner than other sources. The problem is that the EPA won't allow more usages of clean coal. When we travel to IN to visit our children, I am amazed at the windmill/turbines that are going up around the Lafayette area. You can see them for miles. Someone is putting up windmills/turbines about 45 minutes from our home in Garden, MI. I am truly excited about this. There is so-o much wind in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan! The hydroelectric plants are being shut down or getting so little use here, as the sport fishing clubs are telling the power companies that their water levels are down, when they can produce electricity, the water temps aren't right for the fish, etc. We could use all the hydros for producing clean & efficient energy, I think. Well, that's my comparisons as I see them& with the point of view as a wife of a man who worked at 2 different power plants.

summer girl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

summer
llano tx
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  11:25:05 PM  Show Profile
It is truly amazing how much power can be made from a little wind. As the owner of the first wind turbine in Llano County TX it and I have become an endless source of facination for the town. I have been told by nabors up to three blocks away that they love to watch it spin in the breese. I suspect that they (like me) use it as a wether vane and wind gage. My turbint provides 1/3 of all my electrical needs and I'm not even in an optima wind area.

do what you love, love what you do
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Green Energy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page