kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  3:16:42 PM  Show Profile

These Freedom Rangers are 3 weeks old now and I just bought their 3rd ag of chick starter. So it was time for them to go outside. Plus the brooder boxes were hot and there was not much room for 50 birds.

So I added more fence to the lot I had the other meat birds in. Brought one of the wooden brooder boxes out for them to get in at night.

They are more than doubled in size in just 3 weeks. I am very pleased so far in their progress.

Then I made a ram shed out of old pallets and wood I had laying around. I'll go get some rolled roofing for the top tomorrow. I needed a place for the rams so I can have a place for the goats to breed in a few weeks.

I am taking a break from tilling. I just planted collard greens. I am going back out to plant carrots next. Then there is mowing to do. It just never ends. There's always something to do here.

What have y'all been up to today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I did a lot of weeding around the flower beds and in the garden. It started raining, again, but I continued. I'm getting a raised bed ready to plant carrots. Not as busy as you, but busy as I can be. I love the pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  3:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I need temp housing for 1 of my rams during breeding season ... I LOVE the idea of the pallets! How many did you use? I can have hubby keep an eye out for some.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  4:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Teri, I used 6 but I have 3 rams and a buck. If you only need it for 1 ram then just 4 would do. O hve 2 in the back with 2 on each side. And a sheet of that outdoor siding and some boards over the top. It should be fine like that but there were a few holes. But it was all free! We have a pallet shop in town and I get the used ones free. Look around trash bins or behind stores for them.

Marly, you are always busy too. I just planted 3 15' rows of carrots and a full row of beets and a wide full row of collards. Now I have to go milk some goats and gather some eggs!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  4:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  4:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kris. The last time we planted carrots my husband did not want to thin them out. What a mess. This time I will thin them out without him knowing. LOL
Have a great evening.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  5:28:12 PM  Show Profile
I am bad about not thinning anything too. I need to do it though because things get crowded down there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Last year was the first time we planted carrots. One of the other farmgirls mentioned to me about thinning them. Well, my hubby would not hear of it. Later, he said we should have thinned them. Doesn't that sound like a man? Oh, that might have sounded ugly. I should say, that sounds just like something my husband would say!!!!!
Thanks, Kris.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Been Busy Today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page