Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 rescued a ...chipmunk (UPDATE 1 and FINAL)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic rescued a ...chipmunk (UPDATE 1 and FINAL) Next Topic  

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  7:02:31 PM  Show Profile
everyone will think i am crazy...i was riding on a bike path today and came across a chipmunk. at first i thought someone hit him with their bike, but he looked pretty good if that's actually what happened. he was kind of thrashing around and moving his paws around his face like it hurt or something. then i noticed all these fruit pits around him. i don't know if he was choking on them or they were maybe poisonous to him, but he expelled some and then i got more out, maybe like 6 or 8 total. he had a bloody nose and he was shaking his head. i was careful when i picked him up, cause i know he might bite. since we had our young son with us, i had the diaper bag. i cleaned it's face and nose and wrapped him in a diaper and put him in the backpack (diaper bag). this was around 5pm EDT. its now 10pm EDT and he's still kicking. he wants to sleep and makes little squeeking noises. his eyes seem a bit bloody now. its like something happened to his sinuses (do chipmunks have sinuses?). anyway, didn't know if anyone has had any luck caring for chipmunks. i gave him some of my chicken's scratch grain soaked in water, but he doesn't really feel up to eating right now, just sleeping.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - rschaaf on Aug 12 2012 5:05:41 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  7:11:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, Renee! You're amazing! That's one very lucky, very blessed little chipmunk!!! I have no idea how to care for such a little critter, but I"m sure some one of the farmgirls will. I wonder if you could still call a vet or one of those pet ER's for advice? Just be careful, okay? (I'm sure you will be!) I think you're just awesome for coming to its rescue! You ROCK, Farmgirl!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  9:13:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow... you're awesome! Were they stone fruit pits? Those are toxic to my rabbits, I know... even the twigs are, so probably a poor choice in food for the poor lil' dude.

I hope he pulls through. You did a great job!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  04:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Now that's amazing! Good luck with him...I sure hope he pulls through!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  06:11:26 AM  Show Profile
Update...well, koko chip (Koko: cause we found him on the kokosing gap trail near Mt.Vernon, and Chip: cause he's a chipmunk) has made it through the night. he even moved out of his nest near the food bowl. still don't know if he'll pull through or not, but i am encouraged he's made it this far. now the next obsticle is eating.
the pits that i found looked like they could have been wild cherry pits, they were hard. but i thought the wild cherries already bore their fruit, but that doesn't mean he wasnt trying to gather them to store. i could be totally wrong on when those trees bear fruit though...
i may have to go get a hamster cage today!

Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  07:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the update, good luck with little guy! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  08:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Aw, well I think you're doing great! Have you looked up a local wildlife rehabilitation person to ask for advice on food? I'd start there after you get a hamster cage :) Good luck!

Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  08:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Renee: You are a hero in my books for saving Koko Chip!!!!! I love his name. Maybe his throat is scratched up from the pits. I'm happy to hear that he is eating and drinking.
Please keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  5:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Sadly, i don't have good news on this update. Koko Chip passed away around 7pm EDT. I thought we were making some progress, but i guess we didn't unless the shock of everything just took its toll. i just got done burying him out by the daylillies (the designated spot for the rodents who've passed on). i feel so silly cause i am tearing up and crying over a chipmunk that i didn't even have a day ago. :-(

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  6:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to hear the news about little Koko Chip. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  6:30:00 PM  Show Profile
not silly at all, I completely understand. so sorry, just know you gave it your best shot!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  7:01:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Koko Chip passed away. You did everything you could and so much more than you had to for that little guy. You did great, and his last day was much better than it would've been without you!

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  04:33:00 AM  Show Profile
Bless you for trying.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile
OM thank you for trying to help this little one. Your not silly in mourning little chips death. I'm kicking myself for not trying to help an orphaned antelope baby this spring. I watched it's momma struggle with a busted back leg and then she disappeared but left baby near our property. Baby hung on and we naively thought it was old enough to forage on it's own but then it too disappeared. It's so hard to know what to do for our wild friends.

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  1:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Bless you for trying--I'd do the very same thing, from helping him, to holding and loving him, to crying over him after he'd passed. I have done it so many times with the little birds, deer mice and the baby rabbits that my dog, Elie, brings to me in the Springtime. Some make it, some don't and I cry myself silly over the whole ordeal. Then do it all over again. Bless you for taking care of one of Mother Nature's creatures. Just as I'm writing this, my co-worker came downstairs to my office, outraged. She said that her sister just called, in tears, that while she was outside talking with a neighbor, someone drove by and threw a tiny kitten out the car window. The little thing is safe now, but who knows if she is injured. I just hope that there are more people out there like, Renee, and farmgirls on this forum, than like the people that tossed that kitten.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  2:35:38 PM  Show Profile
You are not silly at all. I posted a similar question when bluebirds died in my yard. I think you are a wonderful person for trying so hard. I would have cried, too. Big hugs to you!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  12:50:22 PM  Show Profile
I agree your not silly but have a huge sweet heart. You gave him your best and thats way more than most would do. Sending you a big hug and thanking God there are people like you.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic rescued a ...chipmunk (UPDATE 1 and FINAL) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page