Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  01:26:21 AM  Show Profile
If there is such a thing.

I'm usually a jeans, khakis kinda girl. I wear t-shirts or long sleeved cotton shirts and usually Bjorn clogs or sneakers.

I love the "hippie mama" look, but don't know how practical it is for farm livin'. I prefer long skirts because I can crouch down like a guy and not leave any of my "bits" exposed. yet I still look "girly".

Not to mention, what do you do about skirts in the winter? How do you keep your legs warm? What do you wear on your feet?

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  04:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Here there's absolutely NO WAY most days to wear a skirt outside. Prairie winds would have it up around my neck. I'm usually in jeans from sun up to sundown, or sweats in winter, or Carrhart overalls or down. The few times I ever look 'girly' it's in slacks and a nice shirt, or in a heavy A line skirt or jumper. That's nice on a summer evening.

Our winters here are way too severe to even think about skirts if I'm going to be outdoors. Comfort first.

Since I ride most every day, I wear Ariats most every day. It's a brand of shoe/boot that caters to those who spend long hours in the saddle or around the farm. I have Thinsulate lined Ariats for winter use, waterproof Ariats, all sorts of Ariats. They're kinda spendy, but they're well worth it. And I have some really tough Columbia boots for the bitter days. I don't ride in them, but I wear them for choring.

Oh, and it's well worth it to invest in a great set of long underwear.
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  04:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I'm switching from pants to skirts...haven't gone through the winter yet but I'll probably wear leggings of some kind underneath on real cold days.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  06:50:18 AM  Show Profile
I wear leotards under my skirts and dresses or leggings. I also wear high socks with my workboots when it's really cold. I think it's going to be a very cold winter this year. My holly bush out front is loaded with berries (since August.) My dad always said a lot of berries late in summer meant a cold winter. We'll see! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  06:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Where are you, Susan?

We are having an early fall. We had a wet spring, a cooler than normal August, so my guess is a wintry winter.

That's here in northern CT/southern MA

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  07:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
people 100 to 200 years ago wore 5 to 7 slip knitted in winter to keep warm they also worn knitted legging to keep warm here are some idea for you. You can find patterns for these items in weldons practical needlework series by interweave press. ( they are reproduction books of leaflet patterns from early 1900's late 1800's)

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  07:16:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm in Mount Joy, Pa. It is quite chilly today. I agree with you, Kristina. Do you read the farmers almanac? I can't find my copy. I just know that this bush is bending from so many berries. Susan
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  07:51:20 AM  Show Profile
I always go to the Farmer's Almanac online. They give the long range forecast for 2 months for free.

This is for region 1.

quote:

September 2006
1st-3rd. Continued hot. 4th-7th. Violent thunderstorms. Danger of a hurricane along the coast. 8th-11th. Pleasant in New England. Humid, with hit-or-miss showers for the Mid-Atlantic States. 12th-15th. Thunderstorms, then fair. 16th-19th. Pleasant, then thunderstorms develop. 20th-23rd. Dangerous thunderstorms, accompanied by downpours and possible damaging winds for the Northeast. 24th-27th. Fair into New England, then unsettled. 28th-30th. Fair.

October 2006
1st-3rd. Squalls in New England. Hurricane threat to Mid-Atlantic Coast. 4th-7th. Clear and unseasonably chilly. 8th-11th. Unsettled, with rain. 12th-15th. Pleasant. 16th-19th. Stormy. 20th-23rd. Fair and windy. 24th-27th. Scattered showers, then fair. 28th-31st. Stormy, some wet snow possible in New England."

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:05:43 AM  Show Profile
BOY, BETWEEN THE SPRIDERS, THE BERRIES AND THE FARMERS ALMANAC I BETTER START STOCKING UP MY CUPBOARDS.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I always wear skirts unless I am climbing something or working with abrasive materials (aka fencing, cutting wood, clearing brush). My skirts are long enough that on windy days I can pull the back of the skirt up between my legs and tuck it into the front band, but wind like that is rare here. Usualy I cannot get enough breeze to dry the clothes in a decent amount of time. For everyday wear I find skirts to much more comfortable than pants/jeans and with cotton tights and poly pro. long underwear they are very toasty. I can actualy stay warmer than in jeans because it is so much easier to add layers under them and retain mobility. Many days when we are working outdoors, hubby is cold and ready to go in long before I am.

My typical outfit is a long gored denim skirt or a prairie type cotton skirt, light cotton blouse layered with a sport type t-shirt (they last longer and have a better fit) or cami with built in underwire. In winter I just bump up the weight of the blouse and replace the t with a sweater or thermal under shirt, then start layering under the skirt. This year hubby has offered to buy me a onepiece thermal underwear from Cabellas, I think he wants his poly pro. back. When I am at home, over the top of everything I wear an apron. For shoes (when I wear them) I choose sandals for summer, rubber mud type for spring and fall (rainy seasons here), and boots for winter (I have a pair of BabyFat Ariat's that I just love). I use to wear mocs just about everyday of the year (hubby makes them for me), but it is too wet where we live now for that to be practical.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:27:23 AM  Show Profile
I wear pants and skirts, but mostly skirts. It hink they are both functional and comfortable as well as fashionable. I wear a lot of hippy patchwork skirts cause I can make them and Ithink they are cute. I have very poor circulation so I always have socks or tights on. What I found last Winter was that in the house, a petticoat under a skirt and a pair of socks and a pair of panty hose keep me warm enough, but when I go out, I will put on warm tights or long underware. There is just something cute about a long prairie skirt, a winter coat and fixings and a pair of snow boots :D

When I am back to my normal weight (about 130-140) I have some super cute skirts I wear as well as my favorite pair of jeans....but that is about 5 months away, as I have discovered that I don't really start losing baby weight until the baby is about 9-10 months old....OY!

Also, there is something to be said of the same plain t-shirt in a variety of colors. I have a billion of them I swear in a wide array of colors in both long and short sleeve styles. Love them and I layer them too, in the Winter.

Hair up, bandana and an apron and I am ready to get my house chores done....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  10:24:41 AM  Show Profile
I wear jeans, t-shirts or cotton blouses and and apron for everyday. The only time at home I am not wearing an apron is when I have bib overalls on. I love skirts but I am so clumsy and all that I do better in jeans. I do have a few skirts though..more likely to wear them to town. I have gone through periods in my life where I wore long cotton jumpers and white tee shirts all day every day (with an apron of course) I wish I could still fit into THOSE jumpers. I made about 10 of them one summer. They were really fun. about 15 years ago.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Jenny,
I love jumpers too, but hubby can't stand them. His mom wore one for years and it drives him nuts if I put one on. Oh, well. He's deployed 6-9 months out of the year and I bring them out when he's not around.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  11:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm yeah. I run into a bit of issue with the husband too. It would seem while he supports a simple life, he still wants me to "look good".

If I transitioned to spanky pants and jumpers, he might have a cow. It would save Bessie the trouble though!

Anyway, I do need something that is flattering and shows off my figure for him. No french maid outfits need apply, but something kinda cute.

A nice fabric skirt and a good fitting apron might just do it though. I mean, and a shirt too!! *giggle*

I need to find some patterns I think. I've priced patchwork stuff and I can't really justify $50 for a skirt. Especially when I can make one.

Any good sites or patterns I should look up?

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  1:04:52 PM  Show Profile
the 'gypsy' look is my most fav for the last coupla' years. long skirts or mid calf .. and ALWAYS with 'tights and leg warmers' in the cold weather .. and usually with SANDALS ... even in the winter .. the tights and leg warmers look cute with sandals. flowy blouses or great sweaters with the skirts. don't have to muck in the mud too much at cabin creek .. 'cept in the gardens and i still wear my gypsy skirts .. i don't mind a hem of dirt even if going to town! often i'll wear victorian 'petti-slips' under my skirts and let them show at the bottom. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile
hancock's fabric has a a sle on "mccall" patterns oct 7-9 99 cents. And "simplisity" patterns sep. 28 - oct 1 for 99 cents. Butterrick patterns for $1.99 oct.2-6.
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  1:19:45 PM  Show Profile
I wear jeans every day. And I am a big believer in the tee in various colors too. I would love to wear skirts but I am about 30 pounds overweight right now and on medication that makes me hot and clammy. So sweaty thighs??? Ewwww gross!!!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  1:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Cindi!! You rock!! Thank you for the tips!!

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  2:47:27 PM  Show Profile
I wear everything;jeans,overalls, capris, skirts and jumpers. It depends on what the day holds chore-wise and weather-wise. I've made a great jumper using the bib part of old overalls and adding a full skirt to the bottom. It's the best of both worlds! In the winter I'll wear thermals or tights underneath my skirts and jumpers.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  3:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
red hen to much information :O
just kidding I hope you know
sunshine
have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 27 2006 3:11:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  3:43:23 PM  Show Profile
I wear jeans and T-shirts or shorts and T-shirts in the garden and around the house. To work (office in a factory) I wear dockers and oxford-cloth shirts with the company logo embroidered over my heart. To shop in town I put on a clean T-shirt with my jeans or maybe change to a denim or khaki skirt with a denim or other long-sleeved, collared shirt or blouse. Out to dinner in the same outfit. To the farmer's market I wear a straw hat, black broadcloth skirt, white apron, and white peasant top. To church or weddings I wear a dress, usually. To funerals (too many of those lately) a black suit (skirt or dress slacks) and stockings.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlfriday
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Brooke
Puryear TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Send farmgirlfriday an AOL message  Send farmgirlfriday a Yahoo! Message
Have you ever thought of nice woolen hand knit socks to wear under your skirt? I like to wear tights with some hand knit socks over them with skirts in the winter time...but usually my skirts are right below the knee...don't want them to drag int he dirt or get caught on a bush/branch!

"it's a bloody mary morning"
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  5:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love handknit socks with my denim/khaki skirts and Birkenstock sandals. The more colorful the socks the better!

Last year the "in" thing that you just had to have at the knit shops was the clear rubber shoes that showed your handknit socks through them... I resisted. Don't know if they're still available or not!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  9:23:23 PM  Show Profile
I remember seeing those boots. I resisted too. I just didn't think they would look good on me. Cute on a small little 20 year old maybe but I just pictured me looking silly (not cute silly...big old silly) in them.
Any time I do wear a skirt in winter (or fall or spring!!) I always wear tights..love them!! and if there isn't snow on the ground I am wearing Birks too. (sometimes when there IS snow) my new favorites are the cute ones I traded with Catherine (cmandle)and got..they are adorable!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  10:03:48 PM  Show Profile
What about leggins? Black is kinda sexy...LOL and if you want to keep extra warm sew up some bloomers from pretty flannels. My favorite pair is made of soft peachy color flannel. Be sure to finish them with some nice lace edging. Girly, but toasty warm!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  2:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jenny, I never think about whether I look silly or not (probably do, most of the time!) I was thinking about how much those boots would cost!

My daughters tell me that my flowered barn coat (that I got from LL Bean) is TOO LOUD! Heck, I figure I'm not one of the Plain People, so I'll be as LOUD as I want!

My suitcase has flowers on it, and so does my briefcase... I love tapestry designs. So what if sometimes they clash?

Edited by - brightmeadow on Sep 28 2006 2:58:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic FarmGirl Fashion Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page