shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  3:06:57 PM  Show Profile
I love to wear long skirts and wear them with leggin's because I don't do slips.
I wear alot of denium and flannel shirts. Boots, sandals, wool socks.And i have my favorite barn coat and hat.I also love the gypsy look. I am thinking Frannie ( from kentucky ) and I are kindred spirits

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun.
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  3:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Kristina, I posted a couple links to patterns under the topic "shirtwaist dresses". one is for a flattering wrap blouse and the other a traditional Indian tunic/drawers outfit.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello, Ladies. I love to hear what you all are wearing. It seems that skirts are pretty popular right now. Jeans do double duty for work and relxation.

I have to agree that a skirt seems more comfortable to me. I bought quite a few long ones this past spring through recently at the local Salvation Army. I like the long denim ones. Most have side slits-cool in the summer time, but warm with leggings or knit tights underneath for cooler fall days and winter.

I am so glad that flouncy praire skirts came back in style. They looks so pretty and flatter all women. I got myself a brown velour one for $1 at the mall while waiting for my daughter to try on a dress for the Dairy Maid pageant. I started scoping out the sale rack and could not pass up the deal. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have lost weight in the past year to buy from the teenager store. It was embarrassing to my daughter, but I thought I looked pretty spiffy at the Dairy Maid pageant in my brown velour praire skirt, a brown shrug ($7 from the same rack) and a pink tee with my brown cowgirl boots.

I decided that I needed more flair once more. I was tired of the frumpy look. Last year I had surgery and could only tolerate sweats as they felt soft and did not squeeze my swelling belly or incision. So, I have taken advantage of my new size to fill my closet with clothes from Salvation Army. Lots of long skirts and stretch jeans. My daughter and I now wear the same size so I don't feel too badly. She swaps things out from my closet and I grab things from hers. :-)

I made myself a beautiful purple and brown brocade tunic to wear wit hthe long skirts and over long sleeved tops or turtlenecks for fall.

I got to go clothes shopping i nthe attic and discover things I put up there when I changed sizes. The black velour leggings are back in style only now they wear them under skirts. That works for me.

Anybody sewing petticoats? Any recommended patterns for them? Sounds wonderful and I would love to try to make one or two.

I made flannel bloomers for a friend's girls. They were so cute. I made the elasic leg higher up so it gathered prettily at the ankle in a ruffle. I never thought to make myself some. Any suggestions on what pattern/style works best for these?

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  4:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Clare- I sew petticoats. I use muslin for summer and flannel for winter. I don't follow a pattern I just piece together A-line panels and use a draw string. I have elastic, but it just seems easier to use the draw instead, for me anyway.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  7:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Clare check out this site:

http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/26-fcm/fcm-28.html

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  11:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Tasha - what a great site! There is SO much information there - I can't wait to sift through a bit of it.

I usually wear a gathered skirt or some jeans - tank tops, T-shirts or turtlenecks with each, depending on the weather -- and clogs. I have this vision of having a "wardrobe" of 3-tiered gathered skirts in various prints and fabrics with coordinating aprons... I think I could even wear them in winter if I bundled up underneath...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  11:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Clare,
I found an old pair of PJ pants makes a great pattern for bloomers. Just find a pair that fit you real comfy to trace & use an elastic or drawstring in the waist. EASY! The fun part is making pleats or adding a wide ruffle or ribbon to the bottom of the leg! If you get really ambitious you can make a soft flannel camisole to wear with them.
Oh, a FLANNEL petticoat would be amazing! Can you tell I'm gearing up for cold weather? I'm almost certain (hmmmm?) I have a pattern in a smallish size for petticoats. I'll take a look. Send me your address by PM and I will be happy to mail it off to you.
How lucky to be able to swap clothes with your daughter! I do sometimes sneak a fun t-shirt from one of my boys. :) I love shopping from the teen racks! They have such CUTE things!
And Brenda, I LOVE the idea of your floral coat! I have a lime green vintage winter coat that I can't wait to revisit this season! So fun! I'm a firm believer that pink goes with everything and matching is a fashion crime!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic FarmGirl Fashion Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page