TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Raw honey is the only food that will not spoil. However, when you boil honey, it loses its natural enzymes and bacteria which could leave the honey vulnerable to spoiling. Has anyone had any problems with spoilage from recipes that call to boil honey? Especially the jams and jellies recipes that call for boiled honey versus white sugar? I am just curious, I would love to try more recipes using honey. I just canned some peaches using a combination of honey and organic sugar and wonder if it will spoil on me.

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Deb, I can't answer your question from experience. The only boiled honey recipe was my MIL's Italian cookies that were drenched in hot honey after being fried. She always made them at Christmas and they never lasted long enought to spoil, lol. I would think it would be OK since there are lots of honey recipes for making jams and jellies. I've just never tried them myself.

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  07:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Audrey. I was sort of thinking on the same line with the spoilage. Just thought I'd throw it out there to see what other's think or know from experience. And those Italian cookies sound heavenly!

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipes calling to boil honey Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page