star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  4:58:16 PM  Show Profile
I have been working on disaster prepping for this winter. Is there a safe way to can bacon? We had a really mild winter last year and I anticipate a more severe one this year. Any other suggestions for disaster prepping on a budget? I am really so fearful of looking into my children's faces and telling them that they have to eat something they don't like just because I can't get to the grocery....anyone else with that fear?

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wwEh7WR/]

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  9:58:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you can can bacon. I saw it in one of Backwood's Home Magazine. Here is the link http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gay127.html

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2012 :  2:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Preparing on a shoestring.... start with the simple things. Set aside $10 out of your grocery budget... buy a bag of flour, sugar and dry beans. The next time... a couple cans of tuna and jar of peanut butter. Then buy a couple can of tomato sauce and several bags of pasta. Set all those things aside in another cupboard or box under the bed. Keep working at it $10 at the time and you will be amazed at how fast you can stock up your over-flow-pantry.

Buy extras of what you already eat. Invest in some easy snacks like popcorn. Because it's a great kid-filler and if necessary you can grind it into cornmeal. Just remember, kids are much easier to convince to eat the not-so-fun things if they have a treat at then end. I always have chocolate chip cookie fixins' on hand for instance.

Honestly, I am more fearful for the people who are not recognizing they need to be preparing that anything else. I have always been one to stock up from my "sources" other than the grocery store. I buy in bulk, can, dehydrate, freeze, etc. I only go to the regular grocery store ever other month or even less. Why? Because, like you, I never want to look at my family and not be able to feed them.

Start small and work your way up. Look for deal and stock up with those. Glean fields in your area. Ask neighbors who garden for their extras. Offer to pick fruit from trees that usually go to waste. If you start asking around, you will be surprised at how much will come flowing your way.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  07:29:45 AM  Show Profile
I love bacon!! I never thought of canning it! I gotta try this. Thank you for the info.

Lorie

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  07:53:06 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Angie. For us, it's especially important to have what we need on hand because we have gluten issues in my house. I have always bought in bulk to save money, and now I'm thankful that we always have a pretty well stocked pantry. I buy our items by the case lot either on Amazon.com or from Whole Foods, because they offer a case discount of 10%. At WF, I try to only buy cases of items that are on sale because then they are even more affordable. And by the way, I did a price check on several of our staples, and they are cheaper at WF than they are at our local WalMart. Just sayin'.

Anyway, like you, this year, I've decided to add canned meats to the old cooking repertoire. I love the idea of the canned bacon. I'm hoping to try it soon, along with canning some ground beef. I've had a pretty well-stocked deep freezer, and I shudder to think about what would happen if we lost power for more than a few days.

A hint that the Hubs found, btw, for deep freezers - keep a bag of ice in the bottom. This will help keep your frozen items cold longer in the event of a power outage. And, your frozen food will keep in your freezer longer than you think - when I went to can some chickens, I put 6 of them in our regular cooler/ice chest, and it took them 5 days to thaw completely. And that was without ice. I'm thinking I may have to use my frozen items to help keep my fridge items cold.

Hope these were helpful!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Is there a way to can bacon? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page