SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  7:09:56 PM  Show Profile
I was wandering if anyone has used dogs, llamas, or donkeys as guard animals.
If yes, can you share your experience?
Thanks

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  8:11:08 PM  Show Profile
Great Fencing, Three Greay Pry's and Three Llama's. Just because you purchase a guard animal does not mean they are trained so please make sure you do your research... Best of luck.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  8:13:11 PM  Show Profile
I haven't but I am sure that other people here will have plenty of other info for you! We have a guard "horse" who personally feels it is his responsibility to rid the world of coyotes. A few months ago one of our cats came tearing out the woods with a coyote on her tail and the horse ran across the pasture, intercepted the coyote and proceeded to kick his butt all the way back to the woods. He's killed at least 2.

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  04:35:24 AM  Show Profile
We have great fencing and have never used guard animals, but Michigan is in a serious drought my pastures are spent. We have an area across the road that has several fields that we have never use, never needed to.
Anyway he only fencing there is a couple of strands of non electri fence. We would need to use electric portable fence. There are coyotes over in the wooded area , we hear them sometimes.
We have a barn that we could bring them in at night. I am just thinking of guard animal as well.
I am worried about putting them over there.
We have never lost a sheep/goat to a predator.
We just need to do something. There is no hay to be had.

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  04:42:29 AM  Show Profile
Nicole , we had a stray dog that got through the fence . I was on my way out to chase it off. I never got the chance....our pony spotted that dog and charged . That dog high tailed it out of that field so fast. It was a sight to see. We do not have him anymore...or he would of gave me some price of mind!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  04:47:40 AM  Show Profile
I did have a donkey once (didn't purchase him as a guard tho) he kept chasing and trying to "thump" MY DOGS. So I suppose a donkey would work. With that said he was rehomed to a farm that had cattle, and is working out great! I have really good fencing, you pay a lot more up front for it, but it really does pay off. I don't think I could use a dog, I'd want to make him a pet, I do have an Aussie, that will soon be trained to gather my sheep ... I hope.

Teri
White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  06:41:35 AM  Show Profile
The farmer that sold us our 4 Longhorn steer uses donkeys. He said they are great for cattle.

We have an 8 ft. game fence all around our 22 acres so don't need any guard animals. We also have 6 large breed dogs that will chase off anything that does not belong here, should it find it's way on the property. We have 1 yellow lab, 2 chocolate labs and 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

What type of livestock are you trying to protect?

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  06:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our neighbor uses a donkey in the sheep and we have a lot of folks using llamas . . .
Our Longhorns actually are pretty intimidating all on their own with their horns!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  09:36:09 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, we have sheep and dairy goats.

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  5:02:07 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 Guard dogs. We have watched them get a whiff with noses in air and they are up and gone and then seen Sadie right on the behindy of a coyote. Coyotes are terrible here. We have cattle and sheep. Our neighbors saw a coyote pack trying to get the baby calf as mom was having it. Some stood at the head of the cow while the others were trying to get to the baby calf. 2 years ago we lost a calf this same way and the cow was a mess for months.
Our flock of sheep always is brought in to the barn close to the house at night. The two GD bark lots at night but at times we know when to step out of the house and bring out the big lights and shotguns. It no longer phases the sheep to have the guns go off.
The neighbor on the other side of us had a donkey in with her sheep but a fellow driving by saw coyotes chasing down a large ewe, he stopped and shot his gun, she still lost the ewe. The guy said her donkey was not doing anything to help the ewe.
I was ready to sell my sheep prior to getting my dogs. They like to be petted but I always go to the sheep pasture and pet them. They are kept in the pen with the sheep...we have all good fences that we have seen where the coyotes were trying to dig under. We have also watched the coyotes go over the fences after a deer.
My daughter got me some little red lights that are suppose to help keep predators away, she got them off of the internet. But they are only good of a night.
I would bring your sheep in at night and set up a good electric fence for your sheep...I love my big white girls and praise them daily for guarding my flock.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  5:43:11 PM  Show Profile
I don't have guard animals anymore, but I do have five cats; four outside. When I see or hear them running, I know someone is here or around the house.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  5:53:54 PM  Show Profile
for those of you who have problems with coyotes or dogs jumping your fences, I highly recommend fence top rollers, they work great, cheap or free to make with leftover PVC pipe and old holely water pipe, I use them along with my anatolian shepards, and in many instantces, the rollers do the job alone...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

lauriee
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Laurie
Wauconda WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  11:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriee a Yahoo! Message
We have an Anatolian Shepard, some folks call them Kangals, some folks who have Kangals are insulted that people use the term interchangeably. I just know that these dogs are incredible.

I know that all people are different, and I've read a lot of goods and bads about this breed. Our dog is 7/8 Anatolian and 1/8 Pyrenees. We don't have sheep, just chickens and a few horses. We live in the Okanogan Highlands @4200 feet, so we've got coyotes, mountain lions, bears, lynx just to name the larger predators. We've not had any problems with any of them. Coyotes stumble on our place at times, but Turk runs them off.
What I really like about our dog is he will alert us that someone is coming up the driveway. Our driveway is 3 miles long, and you can see about a mile and a half down the hill from the house. He doesn't go crazy with the barking at first. He just lets us know someones coming with very low quiet woofs, if he knows who the visitors are he lets them in the yard(in fact, he greets them with a smile!.... I kid you not!). If he does not know them he holds them off at the gate until we tell him its OK to let them in.

We did not want an aggressive wild barking dog, and this breed, at least our dog is perfect for what we were looking for. Hes always out on his hill watching. Keeping an eye on the chickens and horses and, of course us. He is not a house dog of his own choosing. I make him come in at night. I think if we had two dogs I would allow him to stay out, but I am afraid that several coyotes could come in and lure him away and he wouldn't have a chance against several of them.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  8:36:45 PM  Show Profile
A Kangal is one of the Turkish breeds covered by the blanket name "Anatolian Shepherd Dog" in the US. However, those who keep Kangals don't like their dogs being called Anatolians. I am getting a female Kangal in a couple months... I won't care if people call her an Anatolian :)

I have Dierks- An Anatolian/Great Pyrenees cross. He's 2.5 years, just now settling into his own, and he just got a pair of sheep yesterday. He loves them already.

The yaks take care of themselves. They also try to take care of any dog in their area, so that gets a little problematic when I own said dog!

We have bear, wolf, cougar, coyote, as well as all the small stuff after the chooks like weasels, coons, etc. We've had no predation loss since Dierks entered the property :) That speaks volumes to me.

Dierks stays out 24/7. He does his patrols and perimeter barking, and he alerts me to any risk.

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

lauriee
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Laurie
Wauconda WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  07:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriee a Yahoo! Message
What a cutie! And look at the size of him! Looks like maybe he has more of the Pyrenees in him than my dog. Turk just does not have the bulk your puppy does. When we picked Turk out of the litter he had littermates that were much larger than him, not so much in height but definitely in bulk and also much heavier coated than him. Thinking that we wanted him to be indoors part of the time I did not want that heavy heavy coat that the dogs need for being outdoors all the time.

I just love this dog. I've had German Shepards and Corgis in the past, and loved all of them, but I sure got tired of all the barking. You just never knew if there really was something there or not. This breed you know there is something out of sorts if they bark.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  11:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Dierks is half/half. He has a thicker coat which really helps in winter here when we have 3 feet of snow. Dierks is about 135 lbs, and he does have the thicker build than the pure ASDs. Yeah, they're great :) He has the temperament of the Anatolian, and he doesn't have any of the major Pyr hang-ups like wandering. Works great for us! He's a little too bonded to me, but he also loves his job. If I take him inside anywhere other than the barn or the walk-through mud room, he tucks his tail and feels like something is very wrong. People always ask me how I could leave one dog outside and let the others in (we have a Shih Tzu and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever as well). But when I tell them to let Dierks into the house, and he refuses to go, then they kinda start to get it :) He's always been that way. Born in a barn with goats and sheep, doesn't want to be in the house :)

Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  2:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Wow Natalie and Laurie, your dogs are so wonderful. I love dogs like that. They are worth their weight in gold. I have a Bassett hound that plays deputy dog. He actually does a pretty good job of it. He makes his rounds in the evenings and checks on everything. I have chickens, goats and Horses. But the horses are mostly out in the field. He isn't a heavy duty guard dog but he takes his job seriously. His name is Orville, we call him deputy dog. His nose pretty much dictates what he does and if he smells that anything has been where it shouldn't have been he will leave a poop pile of his own as a warning..LOL. It actually does seem to be effective though. Orville is very brave.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  2:09:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a rooster that my husband saw run off a bobcat one day...baddy rooster!
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  4:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Aw, I can see a Bassett doing his rounds :) Very cute, and I'll bet he knows if anything out of place has been around with that nose!

A good rooster is hard to come by since most people just kill them as chicks/juveniles now. But there are some great ones that are definitely worth having :)

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  09:56:30 AM  Show Profile
Here are pics of Orville and my rooster (whitey I guess)...LOL
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  4:32:04 PM  Show Profile
I have had Great Pyrenees (now two for pets), a Sharplenenitz (it has been a while since I spelled that and it is probably incorrect), and Anatolian. All are fabulous. Great Pyrenees love cold weather. Read good books!

I have heard mixed reviews on donkeys and lamas. Some say the latter is an appetizer for the predator before getting to the livestock!

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  9:42:46 PM  Show Profile
I've heard of donkeys and llamas both who bond to the older stock, and when lambs/kids drop, they get attacked because the guardian animal doesn't see them as part of their herd :( There are also many stories of dogs being turned out with stock and not trained who kill lambs, too. There are wonderful and terrible stories from all sides, really... just depends on what works for you. And that's what you should do :)

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  06:23:12 AM  Show Profile
They probably get stimulated by the smell of the afterbirth and haven't been trained what to do with their instincts. When my goats kid the coyotes come in closer. They smell the afterbirth. I would think that one should be with the moms and the dog when they lamb at least the first few times so the dog understands what it's all about.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  09:21:06 AM  Show Profile
i have a pair of mules. Our old mule is ok, but likes to run any female livestock around. the young mule lets deer and such on the place but if a dog or chicken is in his pen its dead. I dont have much as livestock but i think it depends on the animal. my last dog was really good he was a german shepered mix, really protected anying that was mine. Even if someone was coming over i didnt have to worry about them unting horses or letting them out they were his and were they belonged.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies.
We have never had a guard animal.
We have a six strand hi tensile fence that has kept things at bay for over 12 years.
We are conidering moving animals to a field across the road. We know there are coyotoes. I just don't want to lose anything.
We use to have a pony, one time a dog got in our fence, I watched that pony chase that dog out of there so fast....
never thought of him as being a guard animal but he was that day :)
there are some donkeys for sale in our town that have been used as guard animals, I may call. Again thanks for all of your input.

Sandra
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Guard animals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page