Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Solar power help please?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Solar power help please?! Next Topic  

Daddys girl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Tanya
Cottonwood California
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  08:26:55 AM  Show Profile
We are wanting to go all solar on our ranch but the initial cost is the hang up. We are in California and a lot of company's have really made money off of people wanting this same thing. I just don't know where to start. I am starting off compiling info for my husband so I can bring it all to him and sell it all at once. I would really like to do it in stages and by ourselves but I don't know if that can be done out here with our regulations. Is there someone that knows California regulations that has also done this? Thank you.

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  09:09:46 AM  Show Profile
I would google Ed Begly, I think that's his name, he is from Ca, and is a actor-blonde, 50'-60's y/o. He did a TV show on such for a while. He gradually went solar and such for his own home, he said mainly at first it was to save money then because of his beliefs in not harming the earth.

I think unless you're rich most people have to do it gradually any way.

There may be some tax breaks and such also you would want to look into or even state funds for doing X, you would want to look into to help you pay.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Daddys girl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Tanya
Cottonwood California
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you very much I will google that.
quote:
Originally posted by MagnoliaWhisper

I would google Ed Begly, I think that's his name, he is from Ca, and is a actor-blonde, 50'-60's y/o. He did a TV show on such for a while. He gradually went solar and such for his own home, he said mainly at first it was to save money then because of his beliefs in not harming the earth.

I think unless you're rich most people have to do it gradually any way.

There may be some tax breaks and such also you would want to look into or even state funds for doing X, you would want to look into to help you pay.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lauriee
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Laurie
Wauconda WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  10:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Send lauriee a Yahoo! Message
My husband and I have been living off grid for two years now, and if you know where to go and how to work around these things solar is not so expensive. We put in a complete hands off system (this system can work totally be itself.... turning on and off your generator when you need to charge your batteries if there is not enough sun for the panels. I have all the conveniences of living in town, washer, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, water pump for the well. With the tax rebates that are available from the Federal goverment for installation of solar systems it cost us less than bringing in power from our property line... about $18,000 in our case. There are so many tax benefits now, state and federal. You just need to know where to look. My husband has a blog site where he gives you information where to look for information that you are asking about.

www.offgridworks.com

Also don't hesitate to contact us... we love to help! Eds background is commercial construction so hes a wealth of information on solar.
Go to Top of Page

lauriee
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Laurie
Wauconda WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  2:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Send lauriee a Yahoo! Message
Another thought:
Think about going just with the solar panels to start. Since you are already "tied" to the grid to get power when the sun is shining your solar panels will be producing power you can use yourself for free if you produce more power than you use the power company is required to buy that excess power from you. Then you can add the batteries for power storage later, which is the really costly part of the solar system.
And, again, with just the panels you get state and federal tax credits and rebates. Plus income and/or credit coming in from selling your excess power to the power company.
Just a thought!
Go to Top of Page

Daddys girl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Tanya
Cottonwood California
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  9:29:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Lauriee. I am very excited and will be looking into this. I just can not thank you enough. Tanya
Go to Top of Page

summer girl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

summer
llano tx
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:03:53 PM  Show Profile
I am working to get off the grid and one of the tricks I use is buying a pallet of solar panals with other people. Everybody buys there panlas plus there part of the shiping. Panals can only be sent with other panals, so you buy six and have to pay the same shiping cost of a pallet worth. Also look into Sun Cost Electronics (I think that is the name) they may have a sale going on. Somthing like $1 a wat.

do what you love, love what you do
Go to Top of Page

wldflwr4me
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Toni
Julian CA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  2:46:01 PM  Show Profile
We're also in California (San Diego County) and in the process of submitting our plan for a permit. If you are "off grid" the State rebates are not available as they are paid by the power company and if you aren't a customer, they will not apply. However, there is a 30% federal tax credit that is extremely helpful. We're building our own system and bought parts from Grape Solar through Costco. We're currently overwhelmed with the permit process!
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Solar power help please?! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page