J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  8:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Okay, sisters, pure bragging here! D.S. (32, has autism and intellectual disabilities)entered his friends-and-family-famous cheesecake... it had to be made and dropped off a week before the fair, and I had to be out of town with my sister, who was recovering from brain surgery! Eldest D.D. to the rescue- she came and stayed, drove him to drop it, and even bought a cardboard to go under it, which I was too distracted to recall he needed.
On Sunday we went to the fair to see about it.He was so nervous we had to work up to the food exhibit by seeing every single animal first.Finally we got to the exhibit hall, and he made a trip to the bathroom- just couldn't bear to look. DD and I went and found it... RED RIBBON! He won second place! He's so thrilled, and you know,so are we!

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  9:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Wow..I am so happy for all of you. What an accomplishment. Cheesecake is all so good, it is difficult to win a ribbon in that, so it must have been superior to be sure! This will be something that becomes a life long good memory. Way back in the mid-80's we had my step-daughter for the summer on visitation. She was at that awkward age anyway, and to leave her home to go to a small town of Paso Robles, CA wasn't exactly how she wanted to spend her summer. They however have an incredible Mid-State County Fair. She had never sewn either so at the age of nine I bought her a cloth doll kit which she diligently sewed on her own with me giving her pointers on how to do each step. First I taught her about the sewing machine. It really was a fun learning experience and we went down and she apprehensively entered her doll. After the fair began and we toured the domestic displays low and behold she won 1st place. You should have seen her eyes! It was a great lesson in "I think I can" and she then had a wonderful memory of a summer she had not counted on being enjoyable. She eventually moved in with us in later years and graduated from Paso Robles High before returning to her home town to work for sister who was an accountant. Victories in the sea of challenges and doubt in the lives of the young are to be celebrated big time! Yeah for the Red Ribbon and County Fairs :-)
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  12:49:40 AM  Show Profile
That is really great! I bet he's proud of himself, as he should be. I think when a person has a disability, God always gives them special gifts to compensate for it. Yay for county fairs!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  09:47:56 AM  Show Profile
I love this! Just love it!! Thanks for sharing... and for the fun suspense. I was on pins and needles along with you!

Congratulations!!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic County Fair Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page