junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  06:34:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for other canning methods that work, instead of using my glass top stove. I know many do use it for canning but I'm not taking any chances of it cracking. Was wondering if it's possible to can in the microwave?

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com

My new Etsy shop, opening Sept. 2010
www.susiesimple.etsy.com

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile
They sell things that can on the counter top, kind of like a hot plate for canning. lol But, I've heard mixed reviews on them.

Other then that you could do freezer type stuff, where you can but store in the freezer. I seen a apple butter recipe like that (you make the apple butter in the crock pot, and then freeze it in freezer safe containers in the freezer) in last years fall MJF magazine.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peggy ann
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

peggy
falling waters wv
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:10:45 AM  Show Profile
Junebug, dont be afraid to use your cooktop. I have a glass cooktop and I have been using it to can for the last 4 years with no problems!! I do waterbath canning and pressure can.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Sue, I teach canning classes and the most pained expression that I get from students is when I mention that one can't can on a glasstop stove. Boy, you should see the wind go out of their sails. I don't know why technology today has been developed, assuming that yesterday's technology is no longer viable!!! People still can!!! The main reason that a glass top is unacceptable is that not only can it crack, but there are heat sensors in the 'eyes' that automatically turn the heat down if the surface gets too hot. That is deadly for pressure canning because a steady pressure and heat is not achieved.

There are portable propane burners that can be used for waterbath canning, but unfortunately, they do not get hot enough for pressure canning. A natural gas or electric stove is the best thing available for pressure canning. I know that some people are putting 220 plugs in their garages and getting an old, used electric range to plug in, solely for canning.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Peggy ann
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

peggy
falling waters wv
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:26:06 AM  Show Profile
Okie farm girl, THAT is not True! I use my pressure canner and I HAVE NOT had a problem with the jars not sealing. I glass cook top will heat the pressure canner to the correct pressure.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  6:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, this authority agrees with me: http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/jun/29/smooth-stove-tops-complicate-canning/

Even the manufacturers state that these stove tops are not approved for canning, as the sensors keep the pressure canners from having a stable temp and pressure. Jars will seal even if they aren't ever put into a canner at all, if the contents are hot. A vacuum will form even without a canner. That isn't the issue. The issue is when canning meats and low acid foods, whether the food is getting hot enough to kill botulism spores and mold spores. The only way that food gets hot enough is if it is put at a full boil on high under pressure. If the temps and pressure are not maintained for at least an hour, there is the danger of spores surviving even if the jars seal. That is how people get botulism poisoning. I don't write this to be a meany or spoil sport, but just as a safety precaution. Botulism kills and I would be very irresponsibe if I did not offer the warning.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  7:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth.
When I bought my glass top, I specifically asked about canning, & they had one model that has an oversized burner that is allegedly approved for canning. I have used it for 5 yrs. (no botulism yet)
Plus, with pressure canning, the weight is not near that of water bath, due to the smaller amount of water utilized.
I hope I am not putting my family at jeapordy, but I have canned raw pack meat, green beans, & corn on this stove top, & it has worked like a gem. The burner is huge, & it is the only one I use for canning.
OH well, maybe an excuse to buy a new stove??
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  8:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, the oversized burners are what is needed and you were smart to ask for that. That is exactly what you should have done. The burners on most models are too small and there is more than an inch of canner hanging over the burner, so that the temps get too hot and shut down the burner, so good for you! :-) One other suggestion would be to go to the manufacturers website and just double check that they recommend that you can on it, but with the oversized burner, I see no problem.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile
ok my dad has a regular stove top right now so I can use that, but I can't find my canning pot, will any pot that the jars will be completely covered in the boiling water, work?

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  05:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Heather, any large pot will do for boiling waterbath as long as you have something on the bottom that will lift the jars off of the bottom so that water can circulate underneath them. :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  08:43:14 AM  Show Profile
First... no canning in the microwave. =)

We have an outdoor propane- two burner stove that works great for water bath or pressure canning. Got it at Costco years ago for around $80. I am lucky enough to have a gas stove in the house which I can on also. On the "big" days - think boxes of peaches and tomatoes - hubby gets out the turkey fryer base and uses that for a water bath burner. I don't pressure can on that on though.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

MelodyRose
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Melody
Hallsville Missouri
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  05:35:54 AM  Show Profile
We have a propane cook top that we set up in the garage because we have a glass cook top in the house. I have only used it for water bath canning. I did sneak in a water bath canning once on my cook top, but I didn't use a huge pot. I used a stock pot, and only canned a couple of half-pints so everything fit with the proper amount of water above the jars. In the bottom, I fastened a few small-mouth far rings together with twist ties (remove the paper coating from them of they'll leave marks on your pot) and used it to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot. It worked great! It was like a mini canner. But it only works with half-pints, because of the size of the stock pot.

www.aquietlittlelife.blogspot.com

www.MRSdesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  5:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Now that you mention it Melody I do believe they sell a small canner like that just for glass stove tops. (water bath only not pressure).

Well I made cherry jam today my back is killing me....I'm worried I didn't do things right, so I'm still keeping them in the freezer, I don't have a lot of room though in there, can you tell me ways to know I did things right? So I am not so worried and actually leave them out?

I'm wondering about the sterilization especially...we have VERY SUPER hard water....um....is that bad inside the jar, when sterilized, they were too hot to wipe out? I did wipe off the outside when done though, there was a thin layer of like dust on them on the outside, I imagine that is on the inside too from the sterilizing....that's one part I am really really worried about.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  7:00:01 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I have had that film on the outsude of my jars before. As long as you have a good seal,and processed the proper time, you should be fine. Especially with a fruit, which is naturally acidic, and all of the sugar added. Take those jars out of the freezer & go for it!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  7:16:39 PM  Show Profile
ok thanks. Well I did low sugar, only half sugar and half sugar sub (I'm a diabetic), I used the low sugar pectin though. They were only supposed to process for 5 minutes, but I processed for 7 to be on the safe side.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  7:19:04 PM  Show Profile
oh and the other thing I'm worried about is head space...is too much bad? I tried to leave at least 1/2 inch on some of them there may of been a tad more or less...all sealed though....so hmmm, is perfect 1/2 inch very important, I went with less (IE more then 1/2 inch head space) instead of more (less then a 1/2 inch of head space), when guessing, so that they would not spill out and not seal...but now I am worried that too much head space may mean too much air? UHG! lol

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  7:30:48 PM  Show Profile
I have had varying head spaces & never had a problem.
Just to ease your mind, I HATE adding sugar to an already sweet fruit, and can my peaches without any sugar, just their own natural juice. Never had a problem.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  05:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your input!! Since this stove was here when we bought the place, I will continue to use it till it goes out but will not take the chance of canning on it! I thought I read somewhere, where you can seal the lids in a microwave? I do plan to freeze what we do put up but with the drought, it won't be much this year. I water bath can and won't use a pressure cooker either, I'm a simple girl who loves the water bath method! Loved your input, very interesting!! Thanks again!!

Visit me at my blogs:

www.susiesimple.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  10:29:37 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure what type of stove top you have, but here's just a tid bit. My dad has lived in this current home for about 20 years now. He bought the new "glass" top when he moved in. It was the kind with glass on one side (two burners) and a open like electric grill on the other side, and like a exhaust thing in between the two. I don't know exactly what happened but last year he took the glass off and put in the coils. I asked him about it today and he said he just took the glass off, went to the store and bought the coils, and plugged them in himself, I asked him how much it cost him and he said 75 dollars. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I HATE HATE HATE glass top stoves-ugly in my opinion, and useless for most my cooking, and get dirty way too easily, and just bug me to death! I like the coils any day over the stupid glass!

As I was canning strawberry jam today I was wandering if people who like the glass just don't cook, cause I swear I can't get my glass top clean after any cooking what so ever! My coils never looked so crazy filthy, I can't cook a egg though on the glass with out scrubbing till my back hurts! UHG. So I'm thinking the glass must be for people who never cook, cause if you never cook on them they are beautiful, but once you crack one egg it's all over! lol haha I'll take a old coil stove any day. (btw I was canning on my dad's stove not mine. I am so glad he got the coils! I can can! lol)

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  05:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Sue, have fun! And just a note: Just remember that you can only can fruits (including tomatoes), jams and jellies, cheeses and butter using the waterbath method. Meats, veggies, etc must be pressure canned. And a microwave is not acceptable because you can't put metal in them. The tattler lids are not metal, but will not work in a microwave. Stay safe! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  06:24:43 AM  Show Profile
That film on the jars is from the water. If you add a little vinegar to your water bath or pressure canner the jars come out sparkling. I use vinegar when sterilizing and when canning, works great!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  09:05:37 AM  Show Profile
oh boy, AWESOME idea Diane, I don't know why I didn't think of that! For sure vinegar next time! UHG! Why didn't I think of that! It's nto that I worry so much about the outside of the jars though, but I really worry about that junk on the inside of the jars.

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  1:03:40 PM  Show Profile
I hated this stove when we first moved in but am used to it now and found it to be pretty hand for extra food placement at get togethers! LOL I'm stuck with it till it goes out so I might as well use it to it's full potential! lol I don't can meats, so I'm safe there. My glass top is all one piece or I'd look into changing it out for coils, oh well! Thanks everyeone for your input, till I figure something out, I'll keep making my jams and freezing them. NO harvest this year so I have another year to find another way to put food by! lol

Visit me at my blogs:

www.susiesimple.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  3:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all your questions Heather! They are the same ones I've had for years and never asked about. We have a propane stove in our current house and I can't seem to get it hot enough to maintain a boil. Tried canning peaches last year on it and gave up and put them in the freezer instead. Everytime I put in some peaches so I could skin them the water would take 15 minutes to come back to a boil!

Think I'll look into one of those countertop electric burners.

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  6:20:46 PM  Show Profile
if you have a garage you may also want to just ask on freecycle for a old electric stove in working order. May get a free one you can just sit up in the garage and it wouldn't matter what it looked like as long as it worked.

Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  12:06:57 PM  Show Profile
Also check Goodwill or Habitat REstore for an electric stove. We just donated an electric stove last week. I had been hanging on to it thinking that I would set up a canning space in the carport. This year the thought of heat and insects kept me from thinking any further!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Other Canning Methods? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page