Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  12:20:38 PM  Show Profile
I remember failing the fruit fly genetics lab in college as my partner and I killed all our fruit flies accidentally squishing them with the media they were suppose to eat. I wish that were the case now. I have fruit flies all over the house. They have been coming in with the tomatoes and although I am trying to can/deal with all the tomatoes each day, the fruit flies are multiplying. Help! What do you do to control fruit flies?

I bought a product (produced by Terro?) that looks like an apple and you pour bait into it to kill the fruit flies. I think it worked for the first week, perhaps they have eaten all the bait....

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  2:27:13 PM  Show Profile
I take a jelly jar, punch a few tiny slits in the lid with a kitchen knife, put about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in it, add about a teaspoon of citrus scented dish soap, and put the lid on. You just set it on the counter or where ever your biggest problem is.

I have to empty and refill it anywhere from daily to weekly. It will quickly have a ton of them floatin in the bottom.

I keep one under my banana tree at all times. It keeps them under control.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Yup..... I do the same as angela. Works great.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Angela for the concotion recipe for keeping fruit flies at bay! I get sick of swatting at them all the time. Can't wait to mix up a batch!

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  2:29:32 PM  Show Profile
also rinse your fruit/veggys off outside before you bring them in, that will help eliminate alot...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  8:04:35 PM  Show Profile
what Angela said :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  04:14:10 AM  Show Profile
We tried the apple cider method last winter when I brought home some organic bananas. It did not work. We have had to resort to the No-Pest Strips of sticky fly paper. I am the first one to try anything without a chemical, but in this case, the flies were migrating from our kitchen/living area down the hall to our bedrooms. The day I found one on my toothbrush, I sent Hubby out to get the fly paper.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fruit Flies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page