MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  9:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Is there any reason that rum would not work as well as brandy to preserve fruit, especially cherries, per the recipe in the MJF magazine?

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 25 2012 9:10:21 PM

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  9:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I can't see why rum would not work. Is it the same proof as brandy?
Mary LD
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  10:50:59 PM  Show Profile
lol I have no idea, I have never bought either one. But, I was just thinking I really really wanted to make these since it looked so easy in the magazine and I thought they would make excellent gifts too. So I was laying in my bath dreaming of all the brandied cherries I was going to make, and who I would give them to, and thinking about what I would tell the people I gave them to. And then it came to mind that my favorite local italian restaurant serves this spamoni (sp) with a cherry rum sauce, and I was thinking oh my goodness I love that rum sauce...maybe this would make something close to that, and wouldn't it be awesome to do that at home. However, of course I won't have the home made spamoni like the restaurant has. lol But, that cherry rum sauce is still awesome! lol

Good idea though to check on the proof of them. I will be sure to look when I go to buy. I haven't been to a liquere (sp-I don't even know how to spell it, uhg! lol) in about 20 years! My husband doesn't drink, but he's a trash man, so when he got home tonight from work, I asked him, have you seen any liquere stores when you're driving around, and he laughed like I was a crazy woman! lol haha He said actually he had one on his route, so maybe I will go there. lol

Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  06:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Which issue are the cherries in,I don't remember seeing it? Have you made the vanilla extract,it is so yummy! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  09:52:39 AM  Show Profile
No, I haven't made the extract, but I for sure want to do that too, could you tell me the issue for that too, cause I forget, and I for sure want to make that too. The issue for the cherries is-june/july 2012 issue.

Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  10:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Heather I can't find the extract issue,but I do remember you put 2 or 3 beans per cup of vodka,let it set for 6 weeks shake bottle daily, you don't have to use vodka, that was just what I found on sale. I'll kept looking for the issue maybe I can find it this week-end while I off work. I got my beans from mountain rose herbs, I ordered a pound of them to split with a friend of mine. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  05:51:14 AM  Show Profile
cool, thanks. It seems like Trader Joe's is made with bourbon, maybe I could try that...or rum or brandy! lol

Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  06:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Let me know how it turns out, I made several bottles and everyone loved it, it makes a nice gift! I turned right to the cherries,thanks. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile
I made brandied cherries and vodka cherries. Both came out pretty good. I don't see why rum wouldn't work. Both of the versions I made are really good with ice cream. I have also made a version with raspberries and a little sugar which comes out more like a syrup. Thought I might try citrus next.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  09:08:21 AM  Show Profile
hmmm sugar may be a key! ;o)

And I've heard that lemons and vodka turn out well.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic brandied cherries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page