Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Which pressure canner? And cookbook?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Which pressure canner? And cookbook? Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  6:01:45 PM  Show Profile
I am ready to take the plunge into pressure canning.
Who can recommend a canner? How about a cookbook? I am particularly interested in canning meats/ soups/stews.
I look forward to all y'all's advice!
Mary LD

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  9:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I like the pressure canner that jiggles instead of the ones with the pressure gauge you have to watch, Ball Blue Book is good.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  09:14:52 AM  Show Profile
I love Jackie Clays - Growing and Preserving your own food. I have 3 canners... all have gauges and the jiggler weight. I can things all year round.. it becomes addictive. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  3:23:38 PM  Show Profile
What brand of canner? How many/ what size jars do you do at a time?
Thanks!
Mary
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile
I have two pressure canners. One is a Presto and the other is a Sears brand. I've had them so long I can't remember the size, but both will hold 7-8 quarts at a time. I really prefer the jiggler weight opposed to the gauge. I like hearing when the pressure is ready and being able to adjust the weights. As far as books go, you can't go wrong with Ball or Kerr. I also have others such as "Preserving the Harvest" and "Small Batch Preserving". Gook Luck with your venture in the next step of great eating. I also use mine year round so don't pack it away at the end of the canning season. When you make a pot of chili or stew, etc., double or triple the recipe and can the rest for quick meals of homemade goodness.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Which pressure canner? And cookbook? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page