Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Help! Morning Sickness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! Morning Sickness Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  06:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so soo sick with morning sickness. I have horrible nausea all day long- I don't always throw up, but I am afraid to leave the house in case I do.

I have not been able eat more than one meal a day for about a month! I have been losing weight with this pregnancy. I have some anti-nausea medicine from the doctor but it only takes the edge off and when I take it I usually pass out about an hour later and sleep for about 3 hours.

Does anyone have any pregnancy safe tips for getting rid of nausea? I know about ginger but I can't really stomach it. In fact anything that has a strong taste I can't deal with it. I can't stomach meat either- and I used to LOVE meat!

Thanks!

-Alyssa

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  07:14:25 AM  Show Profile
The best advice I can give is ginger or anything with a mint in it. Mint tea always worked the best for me as I can't really stomach ginger either. I am anti drug as much as possible (esp. when pregnant)which is pretty much everything except my asthma meds....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  07:27:59 AM  Show Profile
oh yeah, and if you are taking your prenatals...the iron content could be contributing to your morning sickness. I recommend finding a natural prenatal or holding off for a few weeks until your nausia subsides. Just so long as you continue to take your folic acid and get enough vitamins in your food, you will be fine (this advice is from a non medical standpoint-I am merely a lay herbalist)

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  07:37:07 AM  Show Profile
I never had morning sickness but my daughter did. We found out it was her vitamins doing most of the damage. If she took it at night and went to bed, she was fine. Did you know that ginger comes in capsules? This also helped to settle her stomach. God bless! How many months along are you? XO Susan
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  09:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
I agree with Tasha, if you are taking prenatals, stop for a bit, or maybe take them every other day. I had a really hard time with them with my first son, and with my second, I didn't take any at all- just made sure I was eating extremely healthy, and I felt much better. Also, I know this doesn't work for some people, but I was one of those who ate soda crackers and it helped alot. I was so sick with my first that I lost alot of weight too- my doc told me to keep saltines next to my bed and before I got out of bed in the morning to do anything, to slowly eat a few of those, and then sip cool (not cold) water. I was skeptical but at tha point would try anything- so I did, and it worked.
Good luck Alyssa- I'll be praying for you! =)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  09:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies but I have been too ill to even take my pre-natals so that isn't the case.

I have been so ill I have been lucky if I have gotten down one small meal a day!

The problem with swallowing ginger capsules is that they break in the stomach and then if I do throw up I get ginger in my sinuses and burning my throat. Plus I can't eat anything with Gelatin in it so most pills are out of the question. I can't stomach any pork byproducts at all let alone pork meat!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  3:18:39 PM  Show Profile
CRACKERS CRACKERS AND MORE CRACKERS, EATEN VERY SLOW, SIP WATER OR MILK. I WAS ALWAYS SICK FOR ALMOST FOUR MONTHS THEN ONE DAY IT WAS JUST GONE. LOTS OF AIR, COLD WASH CLOTH ON HEAD AND ESPECIALLY ON THE THROAT, SUCK ON ICE CUBES, CRUSH THEM UP. TRY AND EAT BUT WHEN YOU DO, VERY SMALL BLAND PORTIONS, JUST EAT A LITTLE BIT OFTEN NEVER A LOT AT ONCE. HOPE YOU ARE SEEING YOUR DOCTOR AS YOU HAVE TO STOP LOSSING WEIGHT AND GAINING. YOU SHOULD BE GETTING THESE PRENATLES, MAYBE YOU COULD CUT THE PILLS IN HALF AND TAKE THEM MORNING AND NIGHT, NOT SUCH A BIG DOSE AT ONCE, AND ALWAYS TAKE ANY PILLS WITH SOME FOOD. UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  3:26:55 PM  Show Profile
I was sick like you Alee and can definitely sympathize. You get to a point where you are almost afraid to eat. I found that nibbling dried apricots and crackers helped.Ginger snaps helped too. It is crucial to have folic acid and orange juice was too acidic for me. I also couldn't tolerate prenatals so we tried chewable kids vitamins with iron, one in the morning and one at night. This I could manage. Check with your doctor or birthing center just to be sure something else isn't going on.

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Sep 24 2006 3:29:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  5:30:43 PM  Show Profile
How much weight have you lost? My ex-sister-in-law would become so ill in the first trimester of her pregnancies that she would have to be hospitalized and given IV fluids. And, like bramble she would just all of the sudden be fine and absolutely healthy for the rest of her pregnancy. Is your doctor aware of the weight loss or has this happened since your last appointment? I hate to recommend anything with caffeine in it, but honestly Coca-cola is the only thing I have found that really helps with nauseausness. Sipping it only. I'm not suggesting you chug the stuff.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Sep 24 2006 5:31:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  6:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Back in my day, I was sick, sick, passed out, and like others when I hit the 4th month was fine! But what helped me was a round hard sour ball - candy, it seemed to sooth my stomach, and also ginger ale. I was very little then, and doctors didn't want you to gain much weight, so I always ate very little in the beginning, and made up for it after the 4th month! I carried a can in our car, because I would be so sick traveling. But, thankfully after 4th month - all was well, and I had two beautiful sons! Now very grown, very handsome and very lovable! One is the father of twins, Devin and Denae!

I say, enjoy it now, because they grow up way to fast, and I miss them everyday! I really loved being pregnant! Worked until I was two weeks over my scheduled due date, and three weeks to the day overdue with both sons! They just wanted to stay with me longer!

love to you all, and love hearing about it all again,

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  10:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Again, there is an issue with caffeine, but if you have a small drugstore in town, ask for coke syrup. It's the same thing as coke, minus the carbonated water. It's mild on your stomach and you only need a teaspoon or two over ice. My dad swore by it when we were kids. It was the only thing that kept us from getting sick - worked better than ginger ale for us.

There is a side effect though - if you use it a lot like my dad did, you can develop a "craving" for coke when you get really tired or sick later on...I think it is a mental issue though - like comfort foods...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  2:15:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, I feel for you!

My doc also suggested children's chewables when I couldn't keep my prenatals down. Crackers sort of helped me. Anything with pretty much no flavor was my best bet. Lying down for 20 minutes rather than attempting to fight through the nausea. It does feel so hopeless. The Moscow Coop has these little 'candies' that you suck on for nausea and they helped (they are in the vitamin section in a little flat tin container). But I say candies with caution because they wouldn't be something I might enjoy otherwise. Also, ginger ale, the kind with actual ginger from the Coop. I would pour little tiny shots because too much didn't work. And have you heard of prego pops? They are suckers with anti nausea whatever in them. And they taste yummy. But I think they have to be ordered online around here.

Oh, I really really feel for you. Is this your first? How far along are you? After reading the other's posts and not to be discouraging but my all day sickness lasted THROUGH the fourth month. And I was so frusterated when the third month ended and everyone had told me I would feel better. Not so lucky. But my personality really doesn't do well with someone saying only a mile left to be encouraging when really I have two! I'd rather think it was three!

You are in my thoughts. And I am at 31 weeks and it does get better, much better. Feeling the little one kick around in there is just beyond words! And I am finding this big belly of mine is really cause for a lot of pampering. I sure ain't complaining about that!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  2:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh, WAAAAA!!!! Alee, I am so with you! I am pregnant for the third time. With my first 2 children I simply had what I called, 'coffee stomach' but no real sickness. With this one, I was absolutely miserable for about 4 months! I felt like I had chronic flu symptoms. It was the strangest thing..something I had never experienced in all my life so it really threw me for a loop. Lots of good suggestions here.. I remember drinking a lot of water and resting..sleeping....going to bed with my other children at 7 and 7 30 pm etc.. I can tell you that at 7 1/2 months now I am so much better..no more sickness with the exception of some wicked heartburn. I have not figured out portions yet.. if I eat too much I just bloat out like I'm going to explode and get awful heartburn..if I eat just nibbles here and there, I'm much better. soooo strange!!
I am keeping you in the light and hoping that with each day things get a little better!
all my love from one preggar mom to another!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  10:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alyssa,
I also was sooo sick with my daughter all through the pregnancy. I worked as an RN on the labor and delivery unit swing shift and barfed my way through the whole shift. Everyone has their own weird foods that help them feel better. I thought saltines tasted terrible and dry -like eating cardboard. I practically lived on hot oatmeal, oranges, lemon seltzer water, and plain pancakes. Those were the only foods I could keep down. I did have a friend that would swear by the pressure wrist bands but they had no effect on me.
Good luck,
Manda
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  5:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa
Everyone has offered such great advice, and I second all of it, I just wanted to give you some comfort and sympathy!
I swear, if men got morning sickness, there would be a cure by now!
I had two pregnancies from h*ll! Really, just do your best to stay hydrated! That is the real danger of extreme morning sickness....I had to be hospitalized a few times because I couldn't hold anything down.
So, dear, do as Dr. Kate says...drink whatever you can hold down and rest rest rest...
It will be over soon, and when you hold that tiny babe in your arms and to your breast, you will forget all of this. I promise.
It is the honest truth!
Otherwise I would only have 1 child, not 4

Love and light to you
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  1:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Katiedid, such good encouragement! Brings tears to my eyes. I just can't wait to hold my little one! Alee, I am wishing you a good day today or even a good hour or afternoon or sometimes just a moment.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  4:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee,
I wish I had something to add, but the girls have already covered it. I'll pray for you in this area too.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  9:34:15 PM  Show Profile
I was never preggers but I get really nasty motion sickness when I fly and use those accupressure wristbands that work pretty well. I know it's not the same thing but would they help with morning sickness? You can find them at the drug store (probably near the Aireborne) and your coop might have them.

Oh I see someone else suggested these also, but I'm writing anyway to say I hope you're feeling better soon.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies-

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while- I have been too sick! The doctor has threatened to hospitalize me a few time for IV fluids but luckily I have been able to rehydrate at home so far. I have lost about 10 lbs, and the doctor is aware of it. They are really good here and are taking good care of me.

I think I am starting to come around the bend and I have been feeling less "icky" the last few days. But every so often I get suprised by nausea. Sorry if TMI- but I have not always been able to make it to a bathroom or a sink in time because the vomiting comes on so fast.

I am not working right now, which worries me- but I am terribly afraid of starting a job and then having an "emergency" at work!

I appreciate all the advice ladies I really appreciate all the support too.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:43:46 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

Glad you are feeling better. 10lbs isn't so bad, even though that's not the fun way to lose it. I had hyperemesis with all 4 kiddos. Had to be hospitalized for at least 3 or 4 days with all of them, and no nothing I did helped. The ginger is a good thing but the crackers were useless as well as the advice to eat all the time. Lemons added to my water or lemonade seemed to stay down as did pears, but that was after the intial puking phase too. Be aware of what you crave.... normally it will stay down even if it sounds weird. (With number 4 it was Nutella and PB sandwiches). Again glad you are feeling better.... don't kick yourself to much just rest and keep down what you can. Oh and by the way you ARE working.... on having a baby and that's the best job there is! As far as the surprise thing I carried a bucket in the car with me when I had to go places.

Blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  2:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Holly-

Thanks for the advice. WARNING TO MUCH INFORMATION:: The only problem with going places when I am in a puking phase is I have very strong muscule contractions when I puke- so strong I usually lose control of my bladder. It is horribly embarassing and I hate it- but I am told it is relatively normal especially since pregnancy is relaxing most of my lower ab muscles which could help control this. I did not have this issue before I got pregnant.

I practice Kegals all the time. If I get a job I might have to buy depends or something I guess! LOL Oh well- if nothing else- pregnancy teaches humility and patience.

I just wish someone would pay me for making a baby!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Help! Morning Sickness Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page