Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fibromyalgia Next Topic  

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  1:02:47 PM  Show Profile
I've just started a FM treatment program sponsored by the Pain Clinic up at the U (of Utah). It's a ten week program where they study the effect of physical therapy and pain control techniques for research purposes. They do not try new medications. We go once a week and have a discussion session for an hour then a theraphy session for an hour.

Because so many of my dear Farmgirl sisters have FM, I thought I would post any useful info I learn here for you to benefit from. If you've had it any length of time (I've had it for 30 years) you may know some of this stuff already, but it's the cutting edge info with no agendas by any pharmaceutical programs or others out to get your $$ so I'm going to put it in for you to take what serves you. Also, if anyone has questions, let me know and I'll ask at the meetings.

Here are some high points from the first session, and I'm copying directly from the handbook:

You are not crazy. The pain and symptoms of FM are real. Unfortunately, medical science hasnot yet arrived at full understanding of the underlying causes. Many people feel they are being blamed for causing their own symptoms or have been told they were suffering fro a psychological illness such as anxiety or depression.

You did not cause your illness. There is nothing you did or failed to do that caused you to develop FMS. You may have difficulty handling stressful situations or you may be dealing with depression or anxiety. These factors may aggravate FMS but there is no evidence that they are the cause of it. A traumatic or stressful event that appears to have precipitated the onset of symptoms or to aggravate the problem, does not necessarily mean that it is the cause of the FMS.

FMS is not a "wastebasket" diagnosis. Some physicians view FMS as the diagnosis when no other cause for the patient's symptoms can be found. That approach is no longer valid or acceptable. In 1990, the American College of Rheumatologyand 20 centers across the US and Canada participated in a research study that scientifically established criteria qhich allow the diagnosis of FMS to be made with confidence. The criteria are based on details from patients' medical histories and physical examinations.

You are not exaggerating the pain. You are not overreacting to their symptoms or exaggerating pain. In, the pain of FMS has been rated to be as severe as the pain of rheumatoid arthritis. One research study indicated that some individuals with FMS actually underreport the severity of pain they feel because they are afraid of not being believed.

One of the most frustrating aspects of FMS is that others cannot see themagnitude of the pain you are experiencing. Family or friends may remark about how well you look. This is distressing inconsistent with how terrible you fee. If signs such as red rash correspoding with the pain were visible, others would see it and emphathize. But there are no outward signs that indicate how much pain you feel. Thus FMS can be described as an invisible, ongoing nightmare that others cannot see or fee. Being trapped in this nightmare may cause you to doubt your own sanity, which may contribute to depression and lead to withdrawl and social isolation.

There are sections on tender points, sleep disturbance, common symptoms, fatigue and other frequently reported symptoms. These are fairly well known among those of use who have FMS so I'm saving space by not reprenting them, but if you need any info on these, let me know and I'll post them here.

The Gate Control Theory of pain:

In acute pain conditions, tissue healing and pain reductions are expected, and even though severe, it can be treated with medication. Knowing that the pain will end at some point leads to hope and optimism. The longer the pain goes on, however, the greater the potential for other factors such as frustration, discouragement, depression, and lack of participation in normal activities to become inportant secondary problems.

All types of pain, whether acute or chronic, are influenced y a multiude of factors. Have you ever sondered why professional athletes who are injured during a game don't "feel" pain until the game is over? Or why some people seem to have a high "tolerance" for pain while other people have a low pain "tolerance"? Some of the answers tothese questions are explained by the Gate Control Theory of pain, which was first proposed 30 years ago by Drs. Ronald Melzack and Patrick Wall. The genesis of this theory was one of the most important moments in the history of pain medicine. Much of our current understanding of pain is based on the Gate Control Theory. to understand pain and the gate control theiry it is important to first understand somebasic facts about the nervous system.

The human nervous system is extremely complex. In the simplest of terms, the nervous system can be organized into the central nervous system (CNS) which consists of the brain and spinal cord, and the peripheral nervous system, which includes all other nervous system fibers. The brain handles the bodily functions necessary for survival and day-to-day functioning (e.g., breathing, heart rate, activity and motion). The brain also processes sensations, thoughts, emotions and memories. The spinal cord is a column of nerves protected by the bony structures of the spine. The spinal cord serves as a link between the brain and the peripheral nervous system. For example, after stepping on a nail, nerves inthe punctured foot (periphery) send messages throught the spinal cord to the brain. The brain pocesses the information received and interprets it as pain.

Drs. Melzak and Wall have proposed that as pain messages travel toward the brain, they pass through a number of "gates" which, when opened, allow the pain signal through the brain. When these pain gates are closed, pain signals maybe blocked. thus, the experience of pain can be midified at a number of differentplaces as the pain message is relayed from the site of the problem to the brain. Pain relieving medications, distraction, hypnosis and relaxation are examples of things that can close the pain gates only by pain killers, b stimulation of certain non-pain nerve fibers, such as touch fibers. For example, rubbing a sore area can sometimes alleviate pain. Certain part of the brain caqn also alter pain transmission through production of specific morphine like chemicals called the endorphine that act to reduce pain. Endorphin production has been used to explain the "runners high" or feelings of euphoria that runners report experiencing. The context or environment in which pain occurs and one's personal explanation of the meaning of the specific pain can also greatly affect the amount of pain experienced. thus the pain gates can be opened by things such as worry or anxiety, feeling blue or depressed, overwhelming life situations, chronic pain, feeling tired or run down and believs that pain indicates something or threatening.

Factors that open the gate:

Physical factors such as extent of injury, inappropriate activity level

Emotional stress such as depression, anxiety, worry, tension, anger

Psychological factors such as focusing on the pain, boredom due to minimal involvement in life activities, non-adaptive attitudes

Factors that close the gate:

Physical factors such as medication, counterstimulation (heat, rubbing), appropriate activity level

Relative emotional stability such as relaxation, positive emotions and rest

Psychological factors such as life involvement, increased interest in life activities, intense concentration/distraqction, adaptive attitudes/positive thoughts and feelings

That's it for this week!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  09:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Patricia,
I read your post on the "Dolly" board. Thanks for doing this. I hate talking about my problem with fms, but I am finding out that I'm just going to have to live with it!
I read your post above and am very interested in that Dr.'s Gate Control Theory. That makes sense to me and would love to hear more!
I have no local support group, there is a very fine pain clinic about 90 miles away from here that focuses on physical therapy and mental therapy and not so much the drugs, but the 3 week inpatient program is $11,000.00 and that might as well be 11 million for us--inurance won't cover it because it is outside of their "plan". They are willing to hand out the "silly" drugs, however, but I'v noticed that since I've been clean of those (since August) my pain is often less than it was to start with.
Right now my therapy is that doll class. I can actually see making and selling things I make (I studied art once upon a time). I'm going to look for scissors that are more comfortable for me. Sadly, a lot of my pain is in my hands an arms.
I would gladly participate in this board!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  10:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Just printed out your treatise, Patricia, and I think I may have to frame it and hang it somewhere around.
Alot of what you reported I have figured out myself (i.e. the Gate theory) but I find it is comforting to have in print from professional just what is what.
"Others cannot see the magnitude of pain you are experiencing"
HOW TRUE!!!
That is THE hardest part of this issue for me. Especially after nursing my husband thru a year of his pain with degenerative disks and seeing how HIS pain is ALWAYS validated.

I look forward to further postings on what you learn, Patricia. Love to you from fellow sufferer!Thank you for taking the time to post it.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  8:59:58 PM  Show Profile
Jana and Diane ~ I'm glad you're getting benefit. I will continue to post what we learn each week. I went today but I immediately went from there to a class I had to teach andI just got back and am pooped so I'll post the new stuff tomorrow.

It makes me happy to know someone is benefitting from the info. We have to stick together. together we are more powerful than the disease.

Love,
P

Go to Top of Page

pioneerspiritlady
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Teri
Cahone CO
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  10:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Send pioneerspiritlady a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Patricia. I have had FM for four years now after repeated beatings by my ex-husband, closed head brain injury, slipped disks and whiplash. Funny that I never had signs of FM before I became his personal rag doll. There is a very good website with lots of info and studies on it... ImmuneSupport.com The dr I had in Arkansas gave it to me. He practiced "Integrated Health" (so of course the AMA doesn't like him). I am now legally diabled and on many medications and pain killers. I'd like to find something that actually worked to help me cope better. I haven't found a dr here in SW Colorado yet but hope to soon. I'd be interested in knowing what types/kinds of medications you use to lesson symptoms. You can write me direct if you like at; nwamassagedoula@earthlink.net Yes.. I'm still a licensed massage therapist and Doula (childbirth assistant). I've kept my CEU classes up, it's one thing he didn't take from me.
Blessings,
Teri

'If you are standing next to a rattle snake, you do not have an obligation to wait until it bites you before you decide it’s dangerous.'" Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  06:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Teri, I don't have time to write right now, but I will, probably tomorrow. It's been a crazy week. But I want you to know, above everything else, you're safe here. And you are loved. I had an abusive husband, too, but he was not physical. (We call him "the big mistake" in our family). I will do everything I can to help you with your FMS.

Big Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  2:34:58 PM  Show Profile
My son-in-law's mother has Fibromyalgia, and she eats only raw foods. She juices her own carrots, she swims daily in a heated pool, and she prays a lot. I admire her more than she knows. She has gone from wheelchair bound to fairly active. She cannot lift her granddaughter, and I can (same granddaughter), so I feel for her.
Try lots of raw veggies and look up The Hallelujah Diet. If the religion part offends you, look past that at what the offered recipes are online, and you may be amazed. They are really good for the body.

My thoughts are with all of you suffering with this disease.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile
O.K. I too was diagnosed with FM last summer. It was a terrible time for me. I have been feeling halfway decent recently and feel like I'm in a remission. Has any of you experienced this? I'm so worried I'm gonna have another attack. Do any of you like go along great and then maybe overdoit and get sick again? I'm so glad I found you guys. Holly Dee
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  4:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Teri, my husband just read your post and wants to know if he can apply his universal remedy to your ex: lowering him slowly into a wood-chipper. As Martha would say, "t's a good thing." Stu has a thing about men who hurt women and children and animals.

I came down with bronchitis yesterday and feel like pigeon poop. I'm on antibiotics and a bunch of other stuff, blue lighting myself, praying and trying to get better because I have to do a fundraiser tomorrow. Ha! I can't even talk, much less read! Anyway, I want you guys to know I will post this week's meeting as soon as I am feeling better. Hopefully, Sunday. Thanks for your patience. Stick with me.

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  10:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hope you feel better soon, Patricia, you poor thing.

I don't know exactly what pigeon poop feels like, but it sure don't sound good...
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  7:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Holly,
That happens to me. Currently I'm in a remission, though its been slipping for a month or so. I never seem to know where that "line" is, where the "doing too much" starts. Its like someone keeps moving it around. All in all, consider yourself blessed that you have remissions. Remissions in fibro are rare.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  1:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey Welcome Maren....another Utah gal..hooray!!!
Be sure to go to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself. I look forward to getting to know you! a pig named booger..you crack me up!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  1:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Jana, Hope your remission hangs in there. It is nice to know you farmgals are out there to talk to. Keep up the great therapeutic chat. HollyDee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  10:40:59 PM  Show Profile
I have always felt that fake anything is much worse for you than real anything. I don't let my kids have alot of sugar and people are constantly trying to give them sugar free stuff with artificial sweetner..really ticks me off! I would rather drink plain water than soda..but if I am going to drink a Dr. Pepper I drink one with sugar..not artificial sweetner. I won't use margerine (what is in that stuff anyhow??) I will only use butter.
I am so gald to hear that it has helped your FM so much Emily. It just makes sense!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  07:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Annart, that is the beauty of this forum. We have so much to share that might help others. I had to drop out of the FM program when I had bronchitis. It lasted a whole month and I missed two sessions. If you miss two sessions, you have to repeat from scratch and now I just don't have the time. But I joined a gym a couple of weeks ago. Water aerobics helped me in the past so I'm starting slow in the pool and on the treadmill and bike. I'm trying to built up my strength. It's hard, though, because naturally, the pain is worse, but I won't give up.

I have never used artificial sweeteners. I don't use artificial anything, like Jenny. Real butter, cream, sugar, etc. Just in moderation. I've always felt that artificial sweeteners are the cause of a lot of ills in this country, including autism in children. Look how the rate of autism has increased. Now, it's one child in 165! Our grandparents never heard of it.

Anyway, I'm sure your post will help somebody. There are probably all kinds of reasons for people's pain and I think you've hit on one. Thank you so much for posting.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Zahara
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Buffalo New York
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  7:01:26 PM  Show Profile
I read all of the postings. And I just had to cukkle when I remembered something from 15 years ago - this all started shortly before I moved out of the house from what soon became the X.

you do not realize your system is already compromised and the stress pushes you over.

Six months of feeling blah - like you are dying and getting to the point where you and the doctor go oh its you again. And there is nothing wrong with you. I decided that was not working. And searched for the answer myself.

Nutrition is electrical it is not chemical.

Our world today is almost quaranteed to make people sick.

You have to choose - there is no inbetween.

and the statement of - all lots of the Farmgirls have FM - yikes!
what kind of chemicals you using out there?

what will get you started is you have a systemic yeast infection.
in referrence to the statement - notice how when a storm comes in the pain is worst - dampness - mold, yeast. And sugar feeds yeast.

I have one of the original books on the subject printed over 20 years ago - The Yeast Syndrome. I was motivated!!! I followed it religiously. You have to eliminate ALL sugar and it is also best to go organically. Only after you are well (which would be at least a year) can you then use actual real sugar. Raw, unfiltered honey, unsulphured black-strap molasses or Sucanat (turbinado is NOT that. the stuff I am referring to has the color of dirt). You really have to ask did this exist 150 years ago.

here is the list of what you can initially eat for about six months:
meat (beef, chicken, pig, lamb, fish, eggs, etc.)
vegetables - any, fresh, whole
plain unsweeted yogurt
organic, mechanically hulded, unsalted sunflower seeds
organic oils (olive, etc)
sea salt (unrefined salt has a lot of trace chemicals)
usual spices.

you look at the list and go Gee what is there is eat - well - food.

Week one will be wonderful - you will feel good. Week two the addiction kicks in. And it really is - if someone had told me ahead of time this was so - I would have thought they were crazy. For one meal a week the addiction became to much and I ate stuff I was not to have and then all the rest of the time I followed the above list to the letter.

You can drink water, tea. (technically no coffee - If you just need that caffine then use organic, free trade or switch to tea)
No milk, no icecream, no dairy - it is actually very high in sugars - where as the yogurt cultures use them up. Can use butter.
(I switched to goat milk and no longer drink milk as a drink. Started drinking a lot of herbal teas)
NO Non-dairy creamers - it is all chemicals.
No vinegar. Use Lemons - fresh best, no preservative kind next.
No cheese - do not need the yeast. You can have again when well.
No grains, no bread, no pasta, no spagetti. (for me that was the kicker - sandwiches with lots of mayo (which has sugar and vinegar). Everyone will have that one thing that they want but it is not on the list)
No artifical sweetner, no artifical coloring, no artifical flavoring, no perservatives, no emulsifiers, no antibotics, hormones, pesticides, insecticides, fungacides, germacides.

I have changed my laundry detergents, soaps, cleaners, toothpaste, shampoo, femine products(organic). My main cleaner is baking soda and a green scrubby. If you use cosmetics - there are a few companies that do produce good stuff - Burts Bees is one. Perfume - stop. Use Essential Oils. I filter my water. I have a filter on my shower. You have to eliminate all of the chemicals that did not exist 150 years ago.

if you breathe it, drink it, eat it or wear it - what does it contain?

and if you have a microwave - throw it out. it kills the foods. Microwaved food will not feed you - only makes you fat - your body is man I am hungry I better hang onto this.
Try to stay away from frozen food, canned food. Use fresh. Full of life and nutrition. Except tomates - canning does not seem to harm them.

For the pain I recommend Wobenzym N. (not all enzymes are the same - only one I recommend) It works - and is safe at any dosage - with a car accident and whiplash I was taking 60 a day for two months (which luckly I could afford) and it handled the pain, the inflammation and I got better along with seeing a chiropractor. And continued taking them at a more affordable rate for about a year.
And also Cod Liver Oil (in capsules! I remember first buying the liquid oil and I remembered the stories about my parents generation of their Cod Liver Oil - ain't sick enough for this) Carlson is good.

Then after six months of eating like that (you will know when) - then you can add potatoes and whole grain rice. whole fruits of low sugar - apples, bananas (few more that I do not recall - you can taste the difference). If you add these and then your energy starts to wane, then go back.
Then when better - legumes.
Then when well - real sugar, whole grains flours, whole fruits (high sugar content). There was some other stuff that off hand I do not remember.

And to those who would go - oh it is a high protein, low carbohydrate diet - yes - the difference is - NO chemicals. Go into the store and read the labels on the Atkins stuff - that is not food.
the main thing missed on all of these "diets" is are you eating food?
or chemicals? Is it alive? Will it provide nourishment? And you can eat as much as you want. I went through a period when I ate so much one would think you would gain weight - at the end of it I ended up losing weight - my body apparently had repaired a lot of damage and needed the food.

Do this a 100% for one week. you will then know.

Yes, eating out is difficult. And birthday parties and wedding. It took me a couple of years. Now after 15 years I am hardly ever tempted and tell people "My doctor said that I should not eat that" to people who do not know me. I no longer even bother to explain and the "doctor said" eliminates the questions. Or I will eat alot before going to an event so that I am not hungry or there have been times I have brought my own food. Sunflower seeds need no frigeration.

Well ... that was a lot.

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  11:04:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Marie,

And welcome.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  1:01:26 PM  Show Profile
I also felt better when I was following the Makers Diet/ Suzanne Somers stuff. No sugar, no grains but not quite as restrictive as a true candida diet .......same idea though.

Need to get back to that.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Isagenix Mom
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jackie
West Chester PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  7:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I have great video that you should review called Dr. Dr. Tell me the Truth. You can find it on my website:

Go to www.jackiemarchitell.isagenix.com
Then go to ISAVIDEOS on the left side of the page
Launch Dr. Dr. Tell me the Truth

The products are amazing and my results have been incrediable.

Cleanse 4 Life and Happiness
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  2:55:54 PM  Show Profile
My son-in-law's mother has suffered greatly and for many years from FM. She was once in a wheelchair. She is on a raw food diet, and is socareful about what she eats, etc. She has found relief from a product called Regenicare. It is a powder that mixes with fluid and is supposed to help joint pain.

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 10 2006 3:00:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fibromyalgia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page