GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  12:06:56 PM  Show Profile
Ric has a recurring problem with his lower back. Any suggestions? Poor boy is stuck in bed today.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  4:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi..of course I'm not a doctor so I can't recommend anything. When this happened to me I would get an xray to see if a disc has slipped or is bulging. I know I used to have problems with this strain a lot, then one of my doctors discovered one leg was shorter by 1/2 inch. It doesn't seem like much really, so I got a foot insert for my shoe to raise that leg and I improved a lot. You could probably try to measure from hip to heel on each leg to get a rough idea if that could be contributing to the problem. I know anti-inflammatories work but many cannot take them as they can lead to liver, ulcer, and heart problems if you can't tolerate them. Heat for a short time helps bring blood to the area to heal the damage. Ice for a short time helps with the pain and helps with swelling. Putting pillows under the knees takes the strain off the lower back while resting on your back. Don't sleep on your side as it curves the disc. No lifting above the head helps (I know this is limiting!)And when doing work, use the proper lifting, pushing and pulling techniques. Try not to bend over while working, but squat down. Use a dollie whenever possible. It sounds like re-injury happens. I get some relief from aspercreme and naproxin sodium as this is an anti-inflammatory, but it takes a few days to build up in the system to reduce swelling. I don't know if he can take these, and some people are allergic to them. I also use a back support brace a few days after I feel better and can walk again, because I know it takes longer to completely heal even when you think you are all well.
Hope this helps a bit.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, it helps quite a lot! I would never have thought to measure his legs....

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13628 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13628 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  08:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I work as a caregiver for a gal who has a severe traumatic brain injury from a horseback riding accident 6 years ago. I've been doing this for 4 years and she is heavier than I, can't walk by herself, is TOTALLY unstable . . . it's not a good situation. For the last two years, at least, I've been feeling it in my body too with a LOT of lower back issues, usually one side or the other. It also impacts my neck, shoulders and arms. I started seeing a chiropractor in January which is helpful and is one who does the deep tissue treatment as well as the adjustments. I've always used heated rice bags which help. But he sent me home with a gel icepack and told me I really needed to use ice too. His advice was to "chase" the rice bags with the ice pack. In the dead of winter then the idea of using an ice pack did NOT appeal to me at all. But I find that it makes ALL the difference for me. I usually go to bed with it and lay on it either as long as I can stand it or I go to sleep and don't notice it any more. It's been an amazing help for me. Last week I had something new going on which included some awful muscle spasms that made me cry. I took ibuprofen and extra calcium and went to bed with the ice pack. After 2 days . . GONE!!!
Anyway, at least it helps me tremendously!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  8:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Alyce, i had lumbar strain for about two years. The thing that helped me the best was wearing a weight belt. I wore that thing daily for two years. It helps hold the posture up. The Choropracter told me to walk about 20 to 30 minutes five times a week. Even to start off walking only 20 minutes is fine. Later, Ric can get up to walking 30 minutes. But walk with the belt on. Within six weeks, I was feeling 80% better. I walked slow for a while, but after six weeks something changed for the better. The doctor told me walking lubricates the spine, When he said that to me, it made all the sense in the world. I still walk 30 to 50 minutes a day, at least 5 times a week. Good luck to Ric, I know you'll be supporting him through this.
Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Lumbar strain? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page