Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Pesticides and Herbicides and Health
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pesticides and Herbicides and Health Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  04:14:10 AM  Show Profile
I'm wondering if my allergies here are horrible from the spraying of crops near us.

What in the world do they put on corn these days? I swear it grew a foot while it rained yesterday.

I guess we won't be putting in a beehive here. Even though we have a nice area with clover, we are afraid the nearby pesticides will kill the bees.

One day a farmer was out spraying, and I was sitting on the porch. It smelled like bleach so badly I had to go inside and shut doors and windows. Now I'm wondering about my farm animals and even my garden. How are we even guaranteed that local honey doesn't include pesticides that bees may pick up?

Any thoughts on this?

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  08:03:19 AM  Show Profile
Other than "Monsanto is evil?" :D

It could definitely affect your allergies. We have a farmer neighbor who sprays his crops and I know just what you mean - and it stinks! I hate having to be outside breathing that stuff in.

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  2:30:59 PM  Show Profile
I certainly believe that it does effect allergies (among other things) in humans, plants and critters. I hate the way it smells when they start their heavy duty spraying here --and I already have an exceptionally poor sense of smell (thank you chemicals). I do believe that if bees are anywhere with in their range of these contaminated crops, it will show up in their honey--you can't control where bees go so you can't really be 110% sure that you are getting organic or natural and pesticide free honey--although I'd take my chances on that rather than the "usual" stuff in the grocery store that is mostly "corn sugar" anyway. I would hold off on getting any bees as well. We've lost 3 hives to CCD and are surrounded by monsanto zombie farmers, as much as I want more bees it won't happen til we can move somewhere less contaminated--where ever that is.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  04:08:24 AM  Show Profile
There's this stuff called 2-4-D that REEKS
It can be purchased at most farm and Ag stores

I hate it

Kills everything

Poor bees
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  10:47:50 AM  Show Profile
there is a lot of folks who are learning about the effects of chemicals. for man to think they can kill some plants or bugs and have no impact on man is arrogant. one of the amazing things about plants insects and man is that they all have a system for building tissue. this system is the way they ( monsanto etc.) destroy the living cells. i dont know the name for insect blood? i do know that pathway along with the plants pathway in plants and mans blood pathway are all sensitive to chemicals. it is the way they kill them so how can it be harmless to us. there is a pathway a porphyrn pathway that can be harmed by these chemicals. i am sd for you. i am sad for the bees. it is a hard thing to watch them hurt all of Gods beautiful creations. just a thought

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  06:12:27 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Linz. My placenta started to give away early during labor and had this baby been my first I would have been in trouble. Praise the Lord she had already dropped down so the placenta didn't get in her way. My midwife asked me if I lived near a farmer's field and randomly yes, before I lived out in the woods but the year prior to having this baby I lived in farmland on an old farmstead which (go figure) the farmer had planted none other than RR soybeans. Then she asked me what was planted there and if it was conventional or organic to which I replied conventional soybeans that they didn't even till before planting. They just planted them, sprayed them, sprayed them again and again and again and again...... Long story short I didn't press her for info because I was in labor and my only concern was to get the baby out asap. Once baby came out I started to bleed heavily, which they got under control quickly thankfully! Once I got home I did some research as to why she asked me such questions. Turns out some farm animals sponaneously abort because the placenta disintigrated when exposed to RR crops thus causing death of the baby. Scary huh? Funny I never had those problems when I lived in the middle of the woods where there was no farming. It's disturbing. So disturbing. Especially how moving to conventionally farmed farmland can make a difference in pregnancy and delivery. The stuff gets into the water and I too have to run inside and shut all the windows when they spray. It's disgusting. We don't have air so when I have to shut the windows it gets horrid in here but its better than the stench of that spray. I'd rather them spread fresh manure out on the field and smell that then those awful death chemicals.

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pesticides and Herbicides and Health Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page