Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  6:08:49 PM  Show Profile
It's all starting with the zucchini. I have canned zucchini relish, zucchini bread & butter pickles, zucchini pancakes for the freezer, & some good ole chocolate zucchini bread that we just can't stay out of! What a feeling of accomplishment this weekend! It is soo worth it!
I love this time of year...it's time to bring on some other veggies, because this gal is ready!!

Beth
~my friends think I do too many things the hard way~

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you have been busy Beth! I have canned a couple of batches of green beans and some raspberry preserves. Tuesday I am canning a 5 gallon bucket of carrots that I picked today! I love this time of year too! Ask me again in August when I am up to my elbows in tomatoes!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  7:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Busy, busy gals! I don't have anything from the garden yet (had to replant twice because of flooding) but our surprise raspberry patch is doing amazingly well and so it raspberry jam time!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  10:55:22 PM  Show Profile
I was given 2 lugs of organic tomatoes. Put up Spaghetti sauce with onions, peppers and hot italian sausage and fire roasted salsa. Glad it's done but very happy I have it.

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  04:26:38 AM  Show Profile
You gals are so impressive! I am so jealous that you already have produce, but wow, you inspire me. Oh, Diane, how I hope to be up to my elbows in tomatoes, too.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beth, I am in the process of growing zucchini also. I would appreciate if you can email me how to can these. Also your recipe for the zucchini relish Please lol ... I am new at all this and would love some advice

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  10:30:19 AM  Show Profile
Beth, can you post the zucchini recipies, mine are just coming in and I'm trying to use them before they get the size of a small baseball bat as has happened in the past. They get so out of control so fast.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  10:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Beth, right there with you. Our peach and summer apple trees have come in and I feel like a peach. I've done two bushels so far and have more coming in. Apricots too. I have been canning babyfood for my little granddaughter to help my daughter out and that has been truly a labor of love. I put a post up at the blog this morning of that canning. I love this time of year. I just feel like I've really accomplished something when I see those rows and boxes of full jars!! Good for you!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  06:42:24 AM  Show Profile
Beth - What is your recipe for Chocolate Zucchine Bread? Please share. Also, I make a stand by recipe for Italian Zucchini each year. It is chopped onions, chopped zucchini, and crushed tomatoes, seasoned with Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt and pepper. The amounts are not specific. Just what look balanced in a very large bowl. I just did 15 pints yesterday. The only other things so far are a crock of dill pickles and pints of bread and butter pickles from cucumbers.
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  07:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I canned 14 pints of the strawberry/lemon drink Monday, and am getting ready to put some cucumber and onions in the freezer today before work.
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  05:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Ok, here's some recipes you girls requested

Zucchini Relish--makes about 8 pts
10 c green & yellow shredded zucchini (either, or, it's just for color)
1 large onion
5 T salt
1 large bell pepper shredded
1 (4 oz)jar of pimentos, drained
4 1/2 c sugar
2 1/4 c cider vinegar
1 t celery salt
1 t tumeric
shred zucchini, onion, & pepper & mix with salt **Let stand overnight, covered in refridge**
Next day, wash & drain. In large pan add veggies & remaining ingredients & mix well. Simmer 3 minutes & put in jars & water bath can for 10 min.
*This best to let set a couple of weeks before using**

Zucchini Bread & Butter Pickles
5 or 6 medium zucchini, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 med green pepper or any peppers, sliced
1/3 c canning salt
2 c sugar
2 T mustard seed
1 T dry mustard
1 t tumeric
1 t celery seed
1 t peppercorns
3 c cider vinegar
Let all this stand for 2 hrs covered with ice. Rinse well & drain.
Combine remaining ingredients & bring to a boil then add veggies. Return to a boil, reduce heat & simmer 10 min. Pack hot veggies & liquid. Process 10 min in water bath

Beth

Edited by - Hoosiermom on Jul 05 2012 05:29:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  05:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, here's your chocolate zucchini bread YUM!!

4 eggs(beaten)
1 1/2c +2T oil
3 c Sugar
3 c Shredded & zucchini
7 T cocoa powder
3 c flour
2 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 c nuts (opt)
chocolate chips (on top)
Mix this all together & pour into 3- 8x4 or 2 9x5 loaf pans the top with as many chocolate chips as you want. Bake 350 for 55-60 min
Beth
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  05:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Ok, one more recipe, then I will let you girls get to cooking up that zucchini of yours. This is another simple way to use up your zucchini & get some veggies in your kids. My son loves these & every summer, I make several dozen chocolate zucchini pancakes & freeze them so we have quick breakfast on school mornings.

Mix together
1 c zucchini, shredded & drained
1 egg beaten
2 T melted butter
1 1/2 c flour
1 c milk
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
1 T sugar
1/2 T cocoa
splash of vanilla
& I recently started grating fresh nutmeg into everything

Roxanna, I need that strawberry/lemon drink recipe please. It sounds great!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  08:52:20 AM  Show Profile
The best thing about summer is ALL this produce. The worse thing about summer is ALL this produce. My greenbeans are done. The potatoes, onions and garlic are dug. Squash comming on like crazy. I am doing something new, dehydrated squash. Tomatoes and peppers, (hot and bell) are everywhere. Will make salsa any day now. Put blackberries in the freezer. Ate the blueberries and strawberries as they came on. Have a patch of moon and stars watermelons that I am watching close. The varmits are probably watching them too. Had to quit planting corn. The coons are way smarter than I am.

I am making me tired. Porbably should be out watering something.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  09:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Beth! I was just going to post a request for help in dealing with all the zucchini we have this year! I think I'll start with the chocolate zucchini bread!
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  10:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, tell me what you do with your Italian zucchini when you use it. I can think of one thing already. This reminds me of a mixture I throw together & let brat simmer & then add a little cheese to the skillet. Any suggestions because I think I will put up a few jars. Thanks!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  08:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Beth I got the recipe here on the forum it was posted by Okie Farm Girl on her blog,6 cups hulled strawberries, 4 cups lemon or lime juice, 6 cups sugar,can use any fruit you like I added maraschino cherries. Liquify the berries, add sugar until mixed well, add lemon juice, heat in pan over medium heat until it reaches 190 degrees remove from heat pour into jars process in hot water bath canner for 15 minutes. I mixed it with a cherry flavored water yesterday, yummy enjoy. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  6:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I have made about 10 pints of strawberry freezer jam and about 14 of raspberry freezer jam. Delicious! On to blueberry soon-- as they are ready now in upstate NY. We have lots of zuchinni, so I am looking forward to using some of the posted recipes. I made a new zuchinni dish today that used shredded z. and cream cheese--served over pasta. Wonderful! I have also been drying some as well. I used my fresh basil in some sauteed the other day and that was quite good. I am growing a Stevia plant and will dry and grind the leaves when they are ready. My tomatoes are coming along. Growing some Roma's for the first time.

Happy canning!
Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 2012 Canning season has begun Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page