Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Farmgirls and autism mommies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Farmgirls and autism mommies Next Topic  

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  06:11:37 AM  Show Profile
Wondering how many of us are farmgirls parenting kids with autism. I have found so much "relief" from the stress and fear and worry of parenting here on "the farm". Wondering about the rest of you.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  7:34:47 PM  Show Profile
I've been in two smaller towns near a big city. We have had the help of good dr's and good support from the school district offices. Schools have been hard to deal with since no one there is an expert. Our doctor and couselor whom we have had for just over a year has been great working with meds and behavior. DH2 has made so much progress with his aspergers that he will be mainstreamed in school this fall. His behavior has gotten better at home, other than the tactile stuff and the singing all the time. I can live with that. I wish I knew if he would do better in a farm situation with people around him who loved him all day and homeschool.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  05:04:23 AM  Show Profile
My youngest is autistic! Nothing has helped me more or made me feel better than being online and talking about it or helping others. Never feel that you or your child are alone! We are all navigating this life the same way in some form or another....Hugs to you!
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  1:00:55 PM  Show Profile
My son is also autistic. One thing that has always helped me was this saying, "Never let anyone tell you what a child with autism can do. Let the child SHOW you what they can do."

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  3:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Everyone thought my DS2 was "slow" because he was big and clumsy and his eyes looked a little like downs. He went to the pre-school evaluation years ago and he blew them away with his use of the english language and the only thing slow was his fine motor skills. Now he will be a Freshman in high school and he is making more and more strides, he will have all mainstreamed classes this year and really only needs a netbook since his handwritting never did get better. He got C's and better last year, who could ask for more.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  10:10:38 PM  Show Profile
My youngest is somewhere on the spectrum...high functioning but it makes life very lonely. We are starting a new district in a few weeks due to our house build out in the country. Much smaller district with VERY good reputation so we are hopeful.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  4:05:36 PM  Show Profile
My youngest is very high functioning ...has aspergers....and it IS hard. He is mostly at this point just very very socially awkward. He is going to be a sophomore in high school this year. He has come a long long way since we adopted him when he was 7. All his classes are mainstreamed and we were able to take him off all medications now...which is wonderful.
It is hard since most folks don't understand him, but he is so so worth it!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  8:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi, all!
This topic is close to my heart - my 32 year old son has autism. He's not considered 'high functioning, as he also has an intellectual disability, and has very low ability to read, use numbers, or get around independently.
He's not working right now- unemployment has hit this population really hard- so he goes to a day program where he volunteers.
He votes, plays sports, and just won a second-place red-ribbon for the cheesecake he entered in the county fair.
I remind him to brush his teeth, and make all his appointments. He is totally in charge of dealing with the trash, and recently took on mowing the lawn when I got a non-motor push-mower. If I sound like I am bragging him up, well, I am, because he's so great... and so are your guys. His dad and I worried and stressed and worked with and fought against schools, school districts and 'experts'. And he's just perfect. (Except for the whole looking at me like I'm dumb for not understanding baseball...)
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Farmgirls and autism mommies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page