Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Auction Tomorrow-Should I bid on this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Auction Tomorrow-Should I bid on this? Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile

Headed for an auction tomorrow and need to know if it would be worth it to bid on this spinning wheel-The photo was taken by the Auction House and I can't zoom it for clarity....I don't even know what to look for, but I have always wanted to learn how to spin.
Does it look like it's intact? How much should I bid?

Talk to me ladies....

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  4:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Gee, I have never seen one like that. I would go on eBay and see if you spot one like it and what it is going for. It is missing the drive band, but you could find one for it. It looks like a hand crank,it might be a bobbin filler? Hope that helps some.

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Edited by - Sugar Girl on Jun 29 2012 4:19:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  5:18:32 PM  Show Profile
So Pam....There doesn't seem to be a treadle...hence the hand crank? When you say it might be a bobbin filler-would that be it's soul purpose or is this one used as a spinning wheel too?

Oh....I just checked the listing for the auction and they are saying there is a reserved bid of $50.00 on it-Is it worth more than that? Sorry...I'm so dumb about spinning wheels but I am trying to learn as fast as I can right now-I just don't want to miss out on a good spinning wheel they are so hard to find "vintage"

Mel
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  7:39:04 PM  Show Profile
It does look like it is a winder and not for spinning. My son sold an antique spinning wheel in his store for $225.00, he pain $175.00 at an auction, which I though was too much, it was missing some parts to it. I bought a newer one for $150.00. Hope this helps.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  11:03:26 PM  Show Profile
I think that you should look into buying a new one if possible. I had a friend who taught spinning and her husband was an engineer who calibrated her spinning wheels to run perfectly. The results are amazing. Old ones often have parts missing and don't work as well. If you want one just for looks, give this one a try, but if you are really going to spin, get a better one. Good luck.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  11:35:44 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Bonnie. I think your money would be better spent towards a new/newer used one.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  05:21:35 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Bonnie and Marianne. The reserve is $50 for a reason. They know what it's worth, or not. If you're just learning, I'd go with newer and complete, get your sea-legs so to speak, then look at vintage for authenticity. FWIW, I wouldn't know a good spinning wheel from a bad one.

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  09:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I have started to learn how to spin my own yarn. I found a place near me that taught me. I started with a drop spindle. It is a lot of fun and an hand spindle is a cheaper way to start. Once you find a place to teach you then you can start looking at the different types of spinning wheels and what kind you want. There are so many different kinds and each has their pros and cons.

I will say again, spinning is a lot of fun!

http://countrygirlinchicago.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #4032
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Auction Tomorrow-Should I bid on this? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page