Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Thyroid Autoimmune Diseases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thyroid Autoimmune Diseases Next Topic  

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  8:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Well, it's official - I'm a totally weird person and medical oddity. I am one of the very few and unlucky individuals who has both Graves Disease AND Hashimoto's Disease at the same time. Three Endocrinologists said that it's impossible, but my newest one said, "Yep - it's possible." My white blood cells hate the rest of me. I have two autoimmune diseases.

So, life is changing but I am determined to laugh! And I want to be an encouragement to others who are struggling to figure out what is wrong with them and nobody is listening to them either. I am doing a three-part post at the blog on my really crazy encounters with doctors over the past seven years and what it took to finally get answers and the right doctor. And if anybody else out there has this same diagnosis, I sure would love to hear what you are doing to control it!! http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  8:44:08 PM  Show Profile
As someone with Hypothyroidism I can relate to what you have gone through. Best choice I ever made is going to a Natureopath. Somehow I couldn't convince the doctors that not being able to remember things wasn't normal for me. Like I could get to the file drawer but couldn't get it open. They kept saying I was just pre-menopause...since I have been on thyroid I feel alot better and many of my symptoms have improved.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  07:28:37 AM  Show Profile
I have Hypothyroidism and Hyperthroidism since I was 13 years old. Oddly enough but true - doctor's told my mom back then that I couldn't be both. Both with many blood tests and systems and more tests - I do have both. I have been on medication for this practically my whole life and I too can relate to the forgetfulness! You are not alone, hang in there

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  2:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Lesley, poor you!! I know what you mean. They really do think you are nuts. So glad you got answers. I started out that way, but my low thryoid morphed into high thyroid, then to low, then to really, really high. One minute I'm dragging and the next I'm leaping tall buildings. Very frustrating.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  2:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Joan. What kind of meds are you on, if I may ask?

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  5:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Marybeth, im in your boat. I was diagnosed at age 14 by my pediatrician after I started sleeping all day every day and no one could wake me up and my vision was failing. I wasnt eating, but wasnt losing weight either. I was also losing my hair and had brittle nails and dry skin. So Ive had this for about 24 years now and the things Ive learned are A: take your meds every day at about the same time. It does make a difference. B: Be careful of what other meds you take,including homeopathic. Many common meds can counteract the effects of your prescribed meds. C: Personally, I pretty much stay away from seeking medical info on the internet unless its from an established, well respected source ( and even then I usually take it with a grain of salt). Remember anyone can say anything, about anything, about anybody ( and be anybody) at anytime they want to.
I hope you're feeling better! Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  9:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Stephanie! You have encouraged me since you have dealt with this for so long.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  9:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Mary Beth!!! I'm so sorry to hear you're going through all of this (and you, too, girls!). I don't have those diseases, but I do have an autoimmune disease, and it really can take its toll sometimes. I also am the surprise "rarity" for having the disease, and the disease itself is so rare that very little research is done on it to help find a cure. It's all a "crap shoot." You live, you learn. It's all good. All I can say is God love and bless you, dear sister-friend. You definitely have the right attitude! We'll do our best to keep you laughing! ;) If you ever need to talk, I'm here. You'll definitely be in my prayers! Big hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 21 2012 9:24:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  04:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you are a jewel in all of our crowns, sweetie!!! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  05:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth sent you an email.

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  7:28:48 PM  Show Profile
I also have low thyroid and was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. so I am tired a lot of the time. I do take meds for the low thyroid and now I started taking a new med for the fibromyalgia. So we will see if it helps. It is just so frustrating because I can't seem to get up any go andget things done that I would really like to do. but I also take one day at a time and muddle through right now...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  7:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, Stephanie, Beverley, and Joan, My heart goes out to you all. I have Graves Disease and I know how confusing it is to be up and then down. I was diagnosed at 17 and had half of my thyroid removed. I have been VERY fortunate and it has been of little consequence to me since then.

You gals have a lot to live with. I hope you can all find some relief in the near future. In my prayers. And of course, you, too Nini.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  8:02:55 PM  Show Profile
thank you marianne

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  9:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Marianne. I'm wondering if taking my thyroid out would do any good. I'm just waiting on doctors to make some decisions. Again, thanks for the kind words and prayers.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  3:04:28 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I'm sorry for what you're going through. On a selfish note, It was great to hear your story. For the fact that, you did eventually find an answer. I have been really ill for almost a year now. I have over $12,000. in medical bills (no insurance or money) and no answers. The dr. said it was heartburn, then anxiety, then he didn't know what it was, etc.etc. I get sent away with no answers and more bills. I have heart palpitations, horrible chest pain, loss of hair, extreme fatigue and exhaustion. I went to the dr. a few days ago to get blood work. He charged me almost 100.00 to tell me to come back next week for the blood work. They'll be doing tests for thyroid, and lyme disease. Am so tired, and just want to know what's wrong with me. It's been a REALLY long and scary year. I'm 32 yrs. old with two young kids. Hope to get better soon, so I can keep up with the kids. =)
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  3:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, Colleen! You have the same symptoms that I started with and nobody could figure out a thing. Finally, a naturopath ordered tests called, "Free T3", "Free T4", TSH and I can't remember the names of the two antibodies tests but one is to test for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and the other is to test for Graves Disease. Most doctors just do a regular thyroid test and that very often shows up normal when things aren't. So ask for those tests. From all I read when I was trying to figure this out, Lyme disease does not cause the hair loss. In fact, I was put on tetracyclene because they thought I had lyme disease. Nope. So I am so hoping that you get answers quick. I will bet for sure that you are suffering from thyroid issues. Bless your heart. Please keep me updated and I will keep you in prayer. Hugs!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  7:11:07 PM  Show Profile
oh colleen,please do keep us updated. I feel for you...I will keep you in my prayers as well..I bet it is a thyroid issue as well, My hair feel out before I was put on thyroid meds..

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh Mary Beth and Colleen so sorry to hear. I was also told that I have hypothyroidism. Was taking meds have no insurance now, so I stopped taking it for a few years now. What I'm doing know is eating alot more leafy green veggies helps with vitamin K and better O2 in blood,working out an hour a day for 3 days a week. I'm not saying this could help, but for me it has. I do get tired sometimes, but I do get the things done I need to. You both will be in my prayers.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart

http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  8:08:04 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, thank you. I am so glad that you are better! It sounds like you have found a good method. Unfortunately, Hashimoto's and Graves are not actually thyroid diseases per se. They are diseases that turn your body against itself and cells start attacking the thyroid, the eyes, the shins on your legs and even other organs. The heart becomes involved and I was banned from exercise for awhile. Just got the go ahead finally!!! I was really discouraged when they told me that even if they remove my thyroid, I will still have the disease and the symptoms. It will just give the cells one less thing to attack! :-( BUT the good news is that there ARE some diet things I am doing that seem to be helping. I am eating a brazil nut or two a day for selenium and a tablespoon of freshly ground flax seed. I am taking potassium and magnesium for my heart and eating lots of sweet potatoes for that as well. I am juicing pineapple with ginger for inflammation and drenching my eyes with liquid tears to keep swelling down. I have cut out sugar, caffeine, fake sweetners and soda. Any of you gals who are dealing with this might try Laurie's and my diet changes and see what happens!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  8:21:34 PM  Show Profile
God bless you Mary Beth and I'm glad that you have good news. If you can keep doing what your doing. My prayers are with you.
Laurie

Aprons and More
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  9:14:29 PM  Show Profile
laurie, I do not have insurance either but where I live they have a program to help with that. you should check around in your area and see if they have any. even the one that montel williams is envolved in and is sometimes advertized on tv would help you out.
I have never drank coffee or anything with caffeine or sodas much or I do not eat fake sugars or real sugar for all that matters, just never have liked sweets much and all those fake ones don't interest me much since they are not natural. but I do need to eat more leafy greens I think so I can add that to my diet. I love sweet potatoes so that would not be hard to add in!!! hehehehehehe I have started taking magnesium just because I have heard so many good things about it helping fibromyalgia, so I thought it can't hurt. I am going to discuss it with my dr. next week when I see him too. thanks for the info and I hope everyone does better in the future!!!

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  08:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Beverley, Thanks for the info. I'll check into it. Sweetr potatoes are so good. Hope that everything works out. God Bless
Laurie

Aprons and More
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thyroid Autoimmune Diseases Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page