Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Chickens and Raccoons - What's Your Solution?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens and Raccoons - What's Your Solution? Next Topic  

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  08:24:07 AM  Show Profile
We decided to try chickens for the first time this year after seeing that many people keep them and reading about how wonderful it is to have your own backyard flock.

We have seven Buckeyes who are a few months old now and still growing. Right now we have a temporary run next to the coop, but we are planning on removing it soon at letting them free range. We really enjoy watching them!

HOWEVER, the past few nights we've spotted a raccoon around the chicken coop. I've chased it away a few times (more than once a night), including last night when I was putting the chickens to bed (they haven't learned to go in the coop by themselves yet - we're working on it).

This has really got us worried - we knew raccoons and other predators would be a potential problem, so we've tried to make sure the coop is predator-proof... but we also know that if a coon or something else really has his mind set on getting in there, he'll stop at nothing trying.

DH, after trolling his chicken forums, discovered that most people agree that the best solution is to dispatch the raccoons (some people even trap them and throw them into lakes or fill the trap with water - horrifying!). Some people have gotten rid of many coons this way. Aside from that, people have had success with guard dogs... well, we have a dog, but she's not cut out for that kind of work.

It's a wonder so many people advocate having chickens... with all the trouble trying to keep them safe (and the trouble so many people seem to have doing that), we're really starting to feel like they're not all they're cracked up to be. I'm losing sleep at night thinking about it! So I thought I'd see what y'all do about the predator problem? I feel like coons and other things will just keep coming back, so just getting rid of one or two won't permanently fix the problem. Do you trap them? Just try to make sure your coop is coon-proof and leave it at that? Or do you do something else?

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #4236

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  09:57:01 AM  Show Profile
Our ducks are kept in the fence in yard during the night. We also always keep one of the dogs outside during the night(we have 3, so they rotate through who stays out and who sleeps inside) specifically to keep an eye on whats going on. We've had problems with raccoons trying to get into our pigeon loft. We have a MAJOR raccoon problem out here. If we trap possums or skunks, they are released on a different part of our property, away from our house. There are just to many raccoons to do that. Raccoons are humanely dispatched and put out in the pasture for the coyotes to eat. Live traps work great. You can then release the raccoons somewhere else if you choose or you can dispatch them. If you want some lure suggestions, let me know, I've got some that never fail :-)

This is a photo taken about 150 yards from our house. We put out corn in about 4 different spots for the deer during hunting season so they will come around where we have a tree stand. This is happens to be the one closest to our house. We didn't realize just how heavy our raccoon population was until we looked at these photos. It is not uncommon to get one or two raccoons eating out of bait piles...but this is majorly excessive. The date on the camera was wrong. This was taken Dec 2011

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com

Edited by - KansasFarmMomma on Jun 29 2012 09:59:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  11:10:01 AM  Show Profile
I have 12 chickens, 6 keets, 3 outside cats, 4 longhorn steer and 6 large breed dogs...NO RACCOONS have ever gotten into my chicken coop.

The coop is 10 x 10, surrounded by good fencing that is burried under the ground about 6 inches. It has a full size gate for me to get into the coop with a latch. Also, our nesting boxes are high enough off the ground that the raccoons can't get into them. During the day my chickens are able to leave the coop and roam around but they always come back in at night.

Before they were big enough to come and go on their own, they stayed in a smaller coop and were not allowed outside until they were fully feathered. After that, I always closed them inside at night so I guess they are used to coming in when it gets dark. When I had a bigger flock (over 30) some of them would sleep in trees! Never lost a chicken to an owl, hawk, or raccoon and I know we have them around here...the coons have stolen cat food before...now that is taken up every night as well.

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  1:11:20 PM  Show Profile
I use tiger urine I bought from a hunting store on line around the fencing & on the lower part of the building to keep raccoons, skunks & fishercats away form my coop......I have been told some old timers would use their own urine & spray that around areas they wanted to keep animals away.......Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile
We shoot them with a shotgun. Very effective, they don't suffer, and they don't return to eat my birds. They aren't native here in MT (or anywhere West of the Mississippi if I recall?) so no hunting license required.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  2:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Natalie, coons are native to anywhere there is water and food sources, includeing large cities, FYI...
leah, good fences make good neighbors, and this includes animals...use small (1/4) welded mesh wire doubled buried 3 ft under ground, and 3 foot out , 4 inches underground, along with any other wired portion including the top, cover edges with wood so they can't pull it up...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  3:24:31 PM  Show Profile
We have a lot of water, and the coons are not native here. They're an invasive species.

Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  4:46:00 PM  Show Profile
natalie, I've never heard of coons migrating to a state they've never been to befroe, ya learn something new everyday, here in So Cal, they are everywhere, including the City of Los Angeles downtown, to here in the high desert where I live, Long Beach Cal around the docks and navy yards, along with Venice Ca, in the house areas there, well I guess they have to start somewhere...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  5:03:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, DH brought home some ammunition tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

This really takes all the fun out of having chickens... owning them is definitely not as great as it's purported to be! All this for a few eggs... ick. Maybe we should get a guard llama. Some ladies up the road from us have llamas, and DH kept seeing raccoons and roadkill in front of their house. He stopped by for a garage sale once, and they told him that llamas stomp raccoons if they ever get in their pen. This happened so frequently that the ladies just started throwing them on the side of the road as if they'd gotten hit by cars! We had a laugh over that. Really though, I've heard llamas make good guard animals...

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  5:34:38 PM  Show Profile
Tina- Coons were originally only on the East of the Mississippi River. Bridges (and I'm sure even boats ferrying back/forth) helped them across that. They used to all be on the other side of the Divide, but when humans ran roads over/through the Rockies, the coons came over here. They're real pests! I'm pretty sure that they aren't supposed to be in CA either, but they've been there since the huge numbers of Europeans moved West back in the day :) They definitely thrive around water and food wherever it may be, so you're so right on that one.

Leah- I've never had a Llama, I use an LGD, but that sounds like a good idea. Maybe your neighbor has a pair that you could try out?

Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  07:11:51 AM  Show Profile
That's what my mom said too: "maybe you could just borrow a llama?" LOL!

Eventually I'd like to get an LGD, but that's still a ways off. Our current dog isn't allowed outside without a lead because she bolts... DH had her since she was a pup, but never really trained her to be outside on her own so we have a lot of work to do on that front :-)

She's a herding dog, though, which I'm sure she'd be super good at if she ever got the chance. She's so good with the chickens, too - never once barked at them or done anything threatening. She mostly wants to be friends with everything. It makes up for her never ending high energy!

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  08:15:40 AM  Show Profile
Well, taking a single llama from a herd is probably a bad idea- they're herd animals and need a 'buddy' for security reasons. You'd probably want a pair :) They'd be much happier.

Any more signs of your unwanted visitor(s)?

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  08:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Electric fence netting. It works to keep anything out of your chicken yard. Use a solar charger and save electricity.

http://www.maxflex.com/Nets_page1.HTM

I've used it for my dog yard for years as well.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  09:06:58 AM  Show Profile
We put fence on the ground all the way around our henhouse, covered it with dirt, so I would not trip on it. This keeps the coons from digging in. On the henhouse walls we have welded wire (1'x2'rectangles) over this I have 1' chicken wire along the chicken roosts, this stops the coons from reaching in and grabbing a chicken and killing it. The flap door that the chickens use has a bar across it at night and the "people" door has chain, a latch and brick at the bottom. When we see coon tracks around the henhouse area, we set out traps and DH shoots the coons when they are trapped. We both don't like killing them, but it hurts less than going in one morning and finding 18 headless, 3 month-old pullets, strewn all over the hen house.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  09:30:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh my.... We thought we had our chickens will protected one time years ago. To our dismay a coon got in the coop one night and killed about 20. When I opened the hen house the next morning in looked like a slauter house.The fish and game told us the coon was just killing for fun, to shot him if we got a chance. A couple nights later he came back for the rest and DH shot him. We use fox urine to keep the varmits away. Works pretty good as long as we keep it out. Get it at Wal-Mart in the hunting dept.

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  3:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes, we decided to take care of the one raccoon and make some adjustments to the coop, just to be sure.

DH saw a neat (well, gross, but neat) thing where you drill some holes in the bottom of a bucket and hang it in the chicken coop. Then, if you have roadkill or other dead critters, place them in the bucket and cover with sawdust to keep it from smelling. As the animal decomposes and flies get to it, the larvae will find its way out of the holes in the bottom and drop on the ground for the chickens to eat.

Our new chicken motto might be, "if it tries to eat you, you get to eat it!"

Farmgirl Sister #4236
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  5:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Electrify your chicken coop fence. A close friend of mine has horses and chickens. She placed the coop near her barn. She took electric fence wire and put the plastic gate handles on 3 strands. She ran the strands to her fence and hooked the gate handles to the chicken wire that enceases her coop. One handle on the top of the cage, one gate handle on the far side of the coop and the third one in front. There's enough charge to get the back side of the coop. You can run a forth one if you like. Hope this helps.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  05:55:21 AM  Show Profile
We have barn cats, and when we have corn crops all around, they come up to the house to eat the cat food. We have to put the food away, and lock up the chickens. Otherwise, they don't bother our chickens. Yes, a gun helps too.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  03:51:47 AM  Show Profile
We seem to have more issues with ferrel uncared for doogs and wild cats than raccoons.

We are surrounded by woods so most everything has enough habitat that there's really no need for them to come into our land that closely.

The occasional fox pay a visit if the hens stray too far.

So the easy and cheaper answer is to trap and either relocate 10 or more miles away or destroy. Which...some may not have the intensinal fortitude to do. Better answer is to keep areas clean and mowed down, and electrify
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens and Raccoons - What's Your Solution? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page