country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  7:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies.... I've raised all kinds of animals on the farm but never Boer goats. I've got my eye on a small herd. Besides going to a respectable breeder for hopefully healthy stock can anyone tell me about the diseases that goats can carry? The farm is disease free & I'm worried about bringing something home. Heard of one that stays in the soil for decades. In our area folks have crossed nubian does with a boer buck. Any thoughts on that? I'm after supplying a meat market.
We've had pet goats for the kids but nothing serious. The fence, outside shelter, insulated barn, straw & hay are in place.
Would love any help!
Thanks Judy

country wishes!

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  7:32:57 PM  Show Profile
I raise nubian/boer crosses and I breed to a full boer buck via AI, they are great for meat and milk, good mamas and can run off the biggest dogs and coyotes without a problem...I leave horns on for that reason, and if they are raised right, you very rarely have a problem...as far as diseases go, did you have any problems with your previous goats, if not, and the herd you are buying are all up on vaccinations, and its been a closed herd, you should be safe...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  9:16:45 PM  Show Profile
You don't want to have goats if you have sheep. Here is a great place to get your questions answerd. http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/

Pam

Stand for What's Right!

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  9:22:51 PM  Show Profile
CAE, CL and Johnes testing! You'll want blood draws on every animal over 6 months, and results back before moving them to your property.

Nubian/Boer with a Nubian dam and a Boer sire = milky enough daughters, but meaty sons. If you don't want milk, don't do Nubians. They are loud. Boers/Kinders are what you really want for meat marketing.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  09:01:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Tina, Pamela & Nat.
Will keep looking!
Judy