Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile
We are beginning our search for a livestock guardian dog who will be assigned to the chickens in the beginning. I remember a farmgirl posting at one time that she got her LGD and training from a Turkish man who was located in Nashville, TN. I did a search but could not find the posting. We are near Nashville and would like to get either a Great Pyrennes or Anatolian, preferably from a LGD working environment as we will be new to having an LGD. Anyone from Middle TN have a good resource or advice?

Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Does it have to be a dog?

I know a guy who uses llamas as a guard animal. They will stomp the sh*t out of a coyote, are low maintence and he uses them to pack in the back country. Such a wonderful all purpose animal!

Good Luck!

**my disclaimer**I guess I am also a bit leary of big LGD because they leave them unattended with the sheep flocks here in our local mountains and they (the dogs) have been attacking mountain bikers and hikers more frequently in the last few years.

www.durangodream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  4:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Good question Seana! A llama would work against the coyotes however, we would have to put off getting it for awhile as we have no fencing! The last owners took down all the fencing. We are working as fast as we can since moving here in November but fencing hasn't made it to the top of the list yet!
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  07:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Check for a LGD rescue in your area, just type in the name of the breed you want and search. I have located two propspects for us, a pup and a 6yr old girl. The pup is being rasied with chickens and goats and girl is living with goats.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile
Seana- LGDs are supposed to identify and neutralize threats to their herds. If the hikers in question were not trying to mess with the herd, those LGDs were not properly trained and should definitely not be on public land without fencing. That's not really a fair representation of all LGDs, though.

Meg, I haven't seen the post you're referring to, but if the man was Turk, you're probably looking at an Anatolian, Kangal, or other Turk breed.

I would never put a rescue out with my animals unattended with out a LOT of observation, testing, and retraining, but that's just me. I've seen herds torn up by rescue "LGDs" who were merely non-house-broken LGD breeds.

I have an LGD, he is half Anatolian, half Pyr. He is not a poultry guardian, but he doesn't attack the birds either- they just aren't his wards. He does scold them when they go by the road (they free range). He was started with the goats, and now alerts to all issues in the yak pens.

If you want a poultry guardian, you'll need to be *very* diligent with initial and continued training. You'll also want to start your own pup, unless you can find an adult that is already trained (super rare and mega $$). It is a lot of work to make sure the dog doesn't develop any bad habits (licking, chasing, cornering, chewing, etc.). Leaving a pup alone with any stock is a no-no until they are trained up exactly the way you want them and consistently demonstrating it. Mine didn't stay with the goats over night alone until he was over 18 months old. I made sure he was out of the 'dopey puppy' stage where he looked to the goats to play with him.

In your scenario, with no fencing... I'm fairly sure you should not get a Pyr. They really like to wander and take up to a couple square miles of territory, typically. This would maybe not be appreciated by your neighbors... or it may be- just got to feel out your own situation. I'm not sure I'd have any guardian dog without a fence to define for them where their territory ends, really... You could obviously give them other markers of "this is your area, this is not" but a fence seems to be easiest for most dogs to understand.

My LGD does not leave the property unless it's in a vehicle (should he need to go to the Vet or something). He never walks off the property. That was important in the training, especially as a pup, because I really wanted to take him for walks- took him for hikes on the property line instead.

If you do want a rescue- the rescue will require fencing. NASRN is a great rescue. They do occasionally get LGDs but again- you need to be very careful.

Good luck with your search, Meg!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  4:49:42 PM  Show Profile
This is a subject that I get so many times with folks starting a farm with animals... First line of defense is great fenceing - and I am not talking about string fence. I think folks purchase fence to keep their animals in and forget the goal also it to keep animals out. That includes dogs. Next, good lighting at night. The keeps a large portion of night besties out. Depending on who needs guard will depend on who you should consider. I have llamas who are trained and I do mean trained to watch after not only the animals but me. I have them stand next to me when someone pulls up the driveway and will go after you if you make a wrong move. They have killed coyotes, scared bears away and even went after mountain lions. You do have to also leave the fighting teeth in or they do not have their full armor to protect themselves. I also have three great pry's which I have trained. Not all of them will do the same jobs and not all of them care to watch over the same animals. Our one that we had named "Jaws" would decide to herd and sheep or goat by just grabbing them by the back leg and dragging them so he got to be in with the alpaca's. If he started to even look like he was going to grab their leg he would get kicked in the face and that ended that. He was a great guardian for them. My Chief loves to take care of the goat girls and their babies - he is such a protector and even babysits so the mothers can have time off. His sister has no desire to watch over animals but she guards the whole farm and works as back up when the other's call her. Kasha is the head Pry and my soul. She has killed coyotes, foxs and even defended against a badger. She also watchs over me most of all. So here at the farm I use many forms of protection but I can say if you do not know what you are doing you will mess up the LGD because training is the key and also being able to see their behavior when they are small and place them at the right task. Pry's also will not behave around chickens - the breed hates birds of all kinds. My Jaws would kill at least one wild bird a day - it is a sport to them. Also, they are never and I agree never to leave the property line.

Sorry for the length but this is not a small subject. If you have more questions I will gladly assist with what I can.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  4:38:02 PM  Show Profile
I think you would have much heartbreak for yourself, your chickens and your LGD if you got a LGD before you put up fences. I agree with Natalie and Grace. Build your pens and take one step at a time.
I know that I could never have ducks or chickens with our dogs. Einstein, our little terrier would chase them to death and I would not trust my LDG with them either unless I had trained them as puppies to guard the chickens. I would probably have a chicken lot inside of a bigger lot and let the LGD run in the bigger lot but keep the chickens and ducks in a pen that the dogs could not get in...I mean really good fences.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Breahna
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Breahna
Broadus Montana
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  11:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I have only worked with prys that were trained on sheep, and was amazed with how much they were capable of but I did definately notice that they understood what the fence line meant, even being out on several thousand acres, they did not cross a border fence ever that I am aware. That being said I am looking into Kangals and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I have done quite a bit of research and think one would be a good fit for what I am looking for, we are developing a wolf problem here and I am looking for an LGD that is independent and physically capable of dealing with that large of a threat. I plan on using her (thinking I want a female but not sure) for around the house as I have a 5 year old son, and also to patrol around chickens, sheep, goats, cattle and horses. I have a person found who is breeding his female on a small scale for his families ranch but would be willing to sell a pup. Any thoughts or experience would be helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  3:20:29 PM  Show Profile
My pyrs keeps my hens safe from fox, and just yesterday he saved them from a robin! LOL Serously tho, he is great and very trustworthy. It took a while to get him trained.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic LGD question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page