chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I have a question about raising meat chickens, or rather getting ready to butcher them
I was told that switching them to rabbit feed the week before will help the meat taste less gamie and more like they were grass feed. Any comments?
Thanks
Liz

Wanna be farm girl in my heart, semi- city girl in life

Edited by - chick-chick on Jun 25 2012 6:01:10 PM

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  7:21:37 PM  Show Profile
???? sounds kind of weird to me :) We've just used grower/finisher at the end--never had "gamey" flavored chicken either!!

Interested to see if anyone else has thoughts on this!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/brooktroutwife
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  8:03:06 PM  Show Profile
well i suppose it could be true. i think its a lot of green. not sure how much alfalfa? when my jerseys get too much alfalfa or new grass pasture it changes their milk. it becomes cowey. we dont like cowey. we also dont like strong chicken. we grow fryers also. ours are fed milk eggs produce and distiller waste. they are sweet. so it could change the flavor i think. thought is will it change for the better?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  07:41:04 AM  Show Profile
Ok What I think is going on here is they are switching to an all grass feed instead of the chicken feed which has other things in it..vits/minerals/prteins ect...problem with this is broiler chickens have no gamy taste even if feed their normal feed up to the time they are butchered...but an all grass feed may make the meat a bit more tender but if its a Rooster you are butchering...hens you don't have to worry about this.....the broiler Roo we did once was fine & tender with its normal feed...so its up to you how you want to go with this but for me it would be a waste of Money.....I do know some will actually add more things to the chickens diet a few weeks before the butchering such as yogurts, oats, flaxseed ect to give more to the chicken so its super healthy & has a bit more added weight....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  04:36:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm so confused. We kinda jumped into this unprepared, with another couple, who are equally unprepared, not one of our best choices.
So maybe it is best to go with the regular feed or finisher feed and not the rabbit food?

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  12:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Liz its normal to be confused when you first get an new animal that you are using for food...so don't worry about that..all you are trying to do is the best you think for the animal...as for the chickens just keep doing what you are doing...after yo have butchered them if you like the taste then you know what to do in the future...if you prefer a bit more meat on them then add the oats, flaxseed, yogurt, milk & extra proteins the next time around...I promise you what you are doing now is good & you will enjoy the meat you get from them...Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  2:20:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to guess that most of us who began raising meat birds were unprepared! ;) we sure were!!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/brooktroutwife
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  5:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
we started ours on chick starter(non medicated) then added some catfish food to the mix when they got older. Ours taste great!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  7:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your advice and words of wisdom. I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing, I guess we will find out on Saturday, hopefully we will be having chicken for dinner.

Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  9:13:43 PM  Show Profile
Well unfortunatly I have my answer regarding giving rabbit pellets to our meat birds. My DH went to feed them and found 23 out of 38 dead, most of them around the feeder and the remaining 15 don't look to well. It really broke his heart. we were going to butcher them on Saturday, now it looks like we won't have any to do. My gut and his told us that that was not the right thing to do but my nephew's wife said they would be fine and it would help the meat (we were splitting the birds with them) Next time (if ther is a next time) I will educate myself better, not jump into it and will not do it with anybody but my husband. and I will trust my gut.

Edited by - chick-chick on Jun 28 2012 9:15:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  1:05:46 PM  Show Profile
oh dear hen I am so sorry about this but I think since you were going to butcher them you need to go ahead & do a few autopsies to see what happened...do it very carefully so not to cut anything inside but see if there was a blockage in the crop, stomach, gizzard or intestines...since rabbit feed is purely grass/hay it shouldn't of killed them but it could have not broke down as quickly as the feed does & caused a blockage or gizzard bound inside......even with the large amounts of water they take in it may have just not been enough for them...but since you just started this I can't see it killing them this fast so check the hearts...they may have had heart attacks which is a know fact as is broken leg bones in some heavy meat birds if they get too much weight on them...thing to look for with the heart...is is soft & mushy, way over sized & pinks instead of firm & deep red...Check veins & valves around it are they in good shape & not twisted, ballooning or broken open.
To autopsy is different that preparing a bird to eat you want to turn it over on its back & cut a small cut just under the the breast area & slowing cut sown wards towards the vent...being careful not to cut any intestines ect...so not cut thur the vent though...gently spread the area open & slowly start pulling out what you can & look at it for clues...once you find the gizzard, cut that open to see it its a nest of rabbit feed...is alot of it dry, not broken or ground up? look at the small & large intestines...is there pockets of airs ballooning out, can you feel full pellets of feed in there? Reach in the bird & carefully pull out the heart & liver...is the liver orange or dull pink instead of deep red? ...If you find heart or liver problems then you got bad chicks that had a possible genetic defect that hit them as they grow older...thats why you need to autopsy more than one while you do this to see if its a genetic ailment instead of an outside problem like the feed....please if you do this tell us what you found its always so helpful to others who may have this problem in the future...thank you for the update...Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  7:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Michele, thanks for the advice. We lost one more today and My dh is going to do the remaining birds tommorrow, he did notice that there wasn't as much poop as usual the last couple of days. I won't be there but I did tell him to do the autopsy and what to look for, I hope he listens to me (and you) I'll keep you posted.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  11:26:04 AM  Show Profile
rabbit pellets will swell to 4 times their size when the chickens drink, so most likely they blocked completly up...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

morristribemom
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Kelly
Waynesville Ohio
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  04:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Chick-chick,

I'm so sorry for you, what an experience. :(

Just a word for next time, because there really should be a next time, limit the advice you're willing to listen to. This lifestyle brings more opinions than I ever thought possible, it can be enough to drive you crazy!

I just finished our first batch of meat birds and they turned out fine. Not huge, but good enough. I learned a lot, and I plan to give them more turkey starter, as well as flock starter, next time to make them a little bigger. They really don't need much, just fresh air, clean water, and food.

Have a good cry in the shower and get back up on the saddle! :)

Hugs,

Kelly

Kelly Morris
www.themorristribe.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  04:02:40 AM  Show Profile
This entire poultry thing has beena learning process for me too.

Here's what I have found to be good sources

1. going online and becoming a member of the poultry youth association. Anyone of any age can join. It's a chat forum like this where you can ask questions and just chat about poultry. A moderator will answer your questions. 2. get a subscription to either Backyard Poultry or some other poultry related magazine. They are chalked FULL of great articles and tips 3. Stop believing everything people tell you and do google searches yourself to cross reference the information

So sorry :(
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  06:37:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the advice, sympathy and hugs.
We butchered the remaining 14 birds on saturday,but I couldn't get my dh to do the autopsy he just wanted to get it done.
I was really afraid we were going to have problems with the rabbit pellets, now we know. It was a learning experience (unfortunatly an expensive one) we started with 50 birds and lost a few here and there, we never expected a big loss all at once.
Do you ladies think that they may have just "timed out" they were almost 12 weeks old and my nephew said that they should have been done at 8 weeks, but they were still really small at 8 weeks.
Well next time we will do it ourslves and research it better and follow our oun instincs, that waywe have nobody to blame but our selves if there is a problem. or ,aybe I'll just stick with my hens and be happy with just eggs for now.
Thanks again
Liz

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  02:06:01 AM  Show Profile
No I can say your birds did not time out as I have a broiler hen who is a yr old now & most say they can't live beyond 4-5 months cause they get too much weight & die from a heart ache or break legs from the weight.......

I wish your hubby would have at least looked at the tummy area to see how much feed was in it so you could see if the rabbit/hay swelled enough to kill or hurt them.....glad you are enjoying the laying hens...i adore mine who are all off laying cause we have had 2 weeks of fireworks going off in the area...only 3 of 13 are laying each day but I know that will change soon as it gets quiet again...Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  08:07:46 AM  Show Profile
And I had a rehabbed rooster who had been destined for the poultry plant that was HUGE!! He bounced off one of those semi tractor trailers. Their lifespan is supposed to only be 6-8 weeks and he lived 2 years.

There's always room to grow, pity our wallets can't afford to expand with that knowledge
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  04:04:13 AM  Show Profile
You know I really didn't think they timed out either but it feels like everyone is playing the blame game. What happened, happened. we can't change the out come now, we just move forward, and if/when we do it again we will do it on our own and follow our own instincs.
For now I'll enjoy my hens, they are alot less work and I get the best eggs ever! We also learned that our free range laying hens don't
work very well on the dinner table they were TOUGH!!!!!! Even after stewing for a long time, maybe next time I'll try to make sausage.
We have also had alot of fireworks going off lately and my girls eggs have been less lately, I didn't even think anout the fireworks messing them up, Thanks again.
Liz

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  05:37:39 AM  Show Profile
fireworks shouldn't mess with the taste. That has everything to do with what they are eating. Input equals output.

For the past 9 or so years we have put on a professional fireworks display on our farm. It rivals that of most small cities and takes 3 days to set up. True, the first one or two "wind tests" and play time set everybody into a cackling frenzy at first, but once it's dark and the show starts we don't hear a peep, and I have always collected just as many eggs the day after as the days before.

These hens are cooped at night and aren't set out to free range until mid afternoon, so know nobody is secretly laying somewhere else either.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  05:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Sorry! I read that wrong- so disregard

Might be the heat affecting laying output too if they aren't hardy hot weather layers. Different breed layers produce better in different conditions. Some are more suited for hot, some more for cold.

We have butchered our own and grilled the meat. It was tasty, but not worth the mess. Also didn't bother plucking but rather skinned them instead. We don't fry our chicken or eat the skin so why bother.

The friend who showed us a bloodless method of killing them and is also an animal keeper, so he took the time to show hubs and me a bit of the anatomy (I know ungulates and horses and that's about it)

It's super cool to see clusters of egg folicles in procession before they become eggs. That was the most fascinating part of all. That and opening up the crop to see all the grit.

But I'm just as happy to buy locally from someone else who has taken the time to deal with the mess in their own processing.

We did fast our hens to be butchered a day before processing so there wouldn't be as much fecal material and food matter mess. But I don't know if this is standard procedure or something I'm just used to doing for vet procedures anyway.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  07:19:54 AM  Show Profile
oh Liz none of us are blaming her or her hubby for what happened....we have all been there in one way or another & she did post that the had died & didn't understand so we we trying to help her not blame her or play the blame game in anyway....Sometimes when things happen like this we are at a lose of what we could have done for a different outlook & I know that was all I was trying to do for hr...I have made chickens my life so I have researched, read ect to make sure if I can make my 'kids' happy, healthy & content I will do it...but things happen so I wanted to after the tears come to be able to understand what I missed or could have prevented....thats why I explained the autopsy for her...so hubby cold see if it was even the hay or something other that they could learn from.....

Anna, I live in a fairly quiet area so when fireworks ect go off it sends my girls into dropping off egg production...lol...they are sooo sensitive...lol...I raise them more for the love I have for them than whether they lay or not..I have some near 10 yrs old that lay ever so often & I don't mind...I am just happy to see them out there sunbathing & being chickens....

I too, if have to butcher a chicken skin them like you I don't fry it & hate plucking feathers more than anything so skin it is the best for if I have to do it......I love that you got to see from someone what the insides of a chicken really looks like...its fascinating to see just how much stuff is in that little body....I also think the lungs are amazing...neon pink & tiny...makes me wonder how they can really breath since we as humans have huge lungs...the 1st time I did an autopsy I hated it since I so loved the bird but I realized I had to understand what made them live & die...so for me it was a way to open myself up to a better education of chickens...because of it I have been able to help others understand their chickens better when they ask me questions.................once a teacher always a teacher I guess :)....Michele'.

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  5:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Differences in species are very interesting too... I've butchered many ducks, but just did my first gander a week or two ago, and his kidneys were Teeny TINY compared to duck kidneys, but absolutely everything else was larger.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  3:48:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Michele, I wasn't saying that the blame game was coming from here, no it is from my nephew and hubby.
You guyes have given me support, a shoulder to cry on and soooo much infomation, this whole thing has been easier to get thru because of you ladies. I don't live in a chicken friendly environment so I don't have anybody to compare notes with about my girls. I'm so happy to have the MaryJane Community to turn to. My family thinks I'm kinda nuts for wanting hens, eating my own eggs and drinking raw milk.
Unfortunately most people have been brainwashed into thinking truley natural food is bad and everything has to be processed, pasturised and pumped full of who knows what be fore to should be eaten. At 52 I'm just starting to learn that things aren't suppose to be that way.
We even found a farmer who raises
grass raised beef that we buy when we can. it sometimes can be a little tougher but you can't beat the flavor!

Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  8:14:10 PM  Show Profile
that is truly awful. so sorry that happened to you. our first batch of meat birds grew so fast some of them died of heart attacks. we didn't know what on Earth was going on. There can be a pretty steep AND expensive learning curve when you're first trying new things in raising/growing your own food. We give our meat birds chickweed from the garden but that's about it as far as grassy stuff goes.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  9:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh man how sad :( Ya try something that sounds like a good idea and it just doesn't work out :( I'm sorry!

For next time (if there is one) I would highly recommend harvesting at 8-10 weeks and you shouldn't have any 'gamey' taste issues at all. You can finish them with scratch grain the last few days if you want some subQ fat for roasting/rotisserie, but it's not necessary :)

Good luck, and I'm really sorry for how this all happened!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic meat chicken question Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page