batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  03:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Liz I had to laugh as I am so used to looking at the MJ names I didn't realize you were the one who started this thread...so please forgive me for my silly comments above about the blame game.....I read everything under the MJ name but then try to answer by the given names so sometimes this poor hen gets confused :)..............but I am still sorry your family went thur this & it is part of any new adventure sometimes but a painful one at that....I know now you will do your best from your posts & that you are kind hearted & never meant anything bad to happen to your animals.......
Oh I am with you on the grass fed cows...love it....I learned if I was going to do something like chicken fried steak with grass fed to soak it in buttermilk over night....some will soak it in cola to help with the toughness....or pound the dickens out of it...lol...I learned a trick form my grand grandmother who corn/molasses fed her wild dears in the fall & winter to sweeten up their meat before we hunted them....she did the same to the cows a few months before they were to be butchered...she put out bits of it in the areas the cows were so they got a bit each day & it sure made the meat great by the time we cooked it up............great granddad made her a molasses wooden container with a wooden wheel that when licked would turn into the molasses under it...the big container was blocked except for the wheel so the cows couldn't get to all of it but they sure enjoyed that ever so often...
I have always said if I ever get any cows, even one I will create this same thing for them.
You are only a yr younger than me but I see you & I both are learning as we go...it sure has it fun sides to it as well as the heartache but I am sure like me you won't trade all this new learning for anything.....
yakLady is right...chickens though can die at the drop of a hat even when yo do everything right...& they never really need any special feed before butchering unless like she says you want a big more fat on them.....
The things I do for mine I am sure really don't change their eggs that much but I love being able to feed them hot oatmeal or stone cut oats with cranberries in the winter...I do most of what I do for them cause I enjoy how happy they are & they seem to get less chest colds/frost bite ect in the winter...........Since I am a stay at home girl I can do these things cause I want to but really you don't have to do anything special for them...my neighbor girl 2 doors down only gives chicken feed & veggie/fruit scraps if she has them....Since I have no children near by or grand children to spoil I think this is the reason I do what I do...it makes me feel wanted & needed......Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bornagainfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jenn
MT
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  1:55:21 PM  Show Profile
No- rabbit pellets do indeed swell and it could be what happened..... My dog got into rabbit pellets once and we almost lost her due to the swelling (Thank god for our wonderful Vet!). If you ever try meat birds again, just stop feeding them their regular feed 24 hours in advance (let them drink water still though)....that is simply all you need to do.
I am so sorry this happened to you- All that hard work!
As to everyone that thinks you are 'nuts' for doing all these new things, I hear ya! My family thinks I am too and I came up with a response:

"I would rather find out someday that if my ideas/philosophies were 'wrong' I did not hurt anything in the process, than live with the guilt that I could have made this world just that much better for myself and my children, and maybe even their children".

I love to wander country roads.

Edited by - Bornagainfarmgirl on Jul 13 2012 2:17:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic meat chicken question Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page