Page: of 2

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  10:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday, I had an unexpected visitors. While I was working in the kitchen repotting some house plants, two women in a florist van pulled up. I knew my hubby doesn't send flowers so I headed out to turn them around, not taking a second to think about my apearance. As usual, I was in a dress (not a grubby one either), bib type apron, and no shoes. I spoke with them several minutes (they were looking for my neighbor, but had the name wrong)and the women at the window (mid 50's city-type woman) kept gawking at me like she'd NEVER seen a barefoot farmgirl before. The whole time we were talking she kept going between my apron and my barefeet like she'd never seen either. I was tempted to make some comment about pregnant, barefoot, and in the kitchen (even though I am obviously not pregnant), but refrained. When my husband got home and I told him he laughed and said I should have shook my foot at her and asked if she liked my new shoes.

I know I'm kind of odd, but I never expected to be gawked! Maybe I should have told her that farmgirls think it's impolite to stare.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  10:59:27 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls

I agree--City girls can be so strange. I was one for 23 years when I lived in Dallas. Fancy hair, make up, new clothes always, image, status. UGH UGH UGH

Connie
Texas Farm Girl (who is frequently barefoot)

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  11:23:33 AM  Show Profile
I feel sorry for some of them. Their whole lives and self-image is dictated by how they look and what they own. I hate city malls for that very reason. And that would be okay if they were happy, but they're stressed and grumpy. I always feel kind of dowdy in comparison, but I'm always neat and clean, so whatever. We were in the city yesterday and just the stressed look on people's faces disappears as you get further and further home.
Di
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  11:58:04 AM  Show Profile
my Great Aunt always said of city girls "cheap women in expensive clothes."

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  12:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Hmm. Maybe her "inner farmgirl" was trying to get out and she was trying to suppress her!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  12:54:39 PM  Show Profile
now .. i jus' gotta' say that some of the sweetest, kindest, most understanding wonderful friends of mine have been city girls all their lives .. i find good and bad .. happy and sad in both city and country girls .. i'm betting we have some incredibly wonderful city girls right here on our 'connection' .. i have been both .. and i honestly don't think living either place has changed my heart or who i am. gosh, i wouldn't trade my 'city experiences' for absolutely anything. i feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to live the city girl .. mountain mama .. suburban sister .. country cuzin' .. and even 'sea-faring woman' life in different eras of my life .. i have learned from each .. and i honestly, honestly, do not see any difference in where we are from as much as 'who' we are in our heart of hearts. xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  3:03:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mumof3

Hmm. Maybe her "inner farmgirl" was trying to get out and she was trying to suppress her!!

Karin

I had the same thought. Speaking as a former city girl, I so badly wanted to get out of the city that I'd have been looking at you and wishing I were barefoot in the yard too. If farmgirl is a state of heart surely there are a lot of farmgirls living in the city.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  3:24:08 PM  Show Profile
mind you, that is not what I say, just my Great Aunt. That was her experience as a farmgirl in dealing with citygirls.

I was a citygirl for a time myself.

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  3:57:32 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, thank you for your articulate, non-judgemental post in this thread. Stereotyping and broad generalizations are never a healthy thing.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thank you Frannie -- I appreciate your words, as a city Farmgirl myself.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  4:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with this post. It was just a very odd experience for me. I understand that some farmgirls find themselves living in the city, but all told they are still farmgirls. Having been raised very ruraly, I find it hard to relate to the put together, don't get dirty type females. I so badly wanted to say something smarty allecky to break the ice, but she reminded me of a friends very proper grandmother who would have yelled at me.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  5:39:33 PM  Show Profile
"Cheap women in expensive clothes" is pretty harsh...however, it sounds like something my farm raised, opinionated grandmother would have said too. Past generations had no worries of being politically correct, that's for sure.
Di

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  6:06:20 PM  Show Profile
oh gurlfrenz .. i just love that we can all 'let it hang out' and tell how we might be feeling at any given time .. and we all do know that we all have wonderful loving hearts. i know that each and everyone of us knows that until we have 'walked in the high heels or cowgirl boots or ballet slippers or barefooted' ... we don't really judge one another as being good or bad .. right or wrong. we all have had experiences with people from all walks of life and sometimes .. we just have to tell a tale about how we felt at the moment.

one thing that i have learned from living my different 'lives' ... is that each generation and each area brings it's own colorful beliefs, thoughts, sayings, lifestyles .. i just love to hear olde timey sayings and .. some i take to my heart and others i just giggle at and let go. (don't much hold to 'mean-spiritedness' .. and can get my own 'panties in a pucker' when i hear unkind things said ... but i also know that we have all been there and done that from time to time .. and i like to believe we all come to realize when we've done that and we know that is not who we really are.

i do not see that here at maryjane's farm .. i just love you all so! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  6:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Frannie!

I am a City Farmgirl, and I agree with much of what you've all written. I went downtown with the Boy yesterday for a trip to the BIG library on the light rail train. Now, I only live 4 miles out of downtown, but it had been so long since I'd been there in the middle of a workday that I sort of wondered what country I was in. Lots of high heels and rushed people.

But...but...yes, I second the statements about finding all kinds of amazing people in the most unlikely places. I am a Farmgirl with a capitol F and have been so lucky as to have found a bunch (23!) of amazing other Farmgirls in my CITY. We are the Urban Farmgirls and love our "dual" lives!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  6:16:22 PM  Show Profile
like I said....my great aunt use to say it.....sorry.....

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  6:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
Some of city girls are normal. LOL I live in the one of the largest city in the USA but I dress very plain and wear an apron everyday. I use a clothesline and cook from scratch. I can some of our food . I sew and craft.I guess what I am trying to say is I am just like a country girl but I am trapped in the city. I am very old fashion. I long to be in the country but I have 6 more years till DH retires. I retired 4 years ago. So you see there are a few of that are not strange.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  9:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Reading this gave me a chuckle...one time when I was featured in our local newspaper I appeared in the photos with bare feet. Relatives teased me for months, saying I made the whole family look like "hillbillies". What can I say...putting shoes on never even crossed my mind! :)
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, I've lived out in the corn for the last 23 years, and wear shoes virtually all the time. Because out here with all these critters you never know what you're going to step in and sliiiide....
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  09:36:26 AM  Show Profile
OK, Mary Ann- EW! Ick! But so true!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:48:08 AM  Show Profile
I am barefoot in the house, but tend to put on shoes (at least garden clogs) for the same reason. Cow plops are no fun to step in..AND it hurts alot less if the cow or sheep step on my foot if there is just a little protection. I shed the shoes the second I walk in the house..my kids do the same...there is always a pile of shoes in our little kitchen porch/mud room.
And I sure get stared at for wearing my apron. I have had people ask what I am doing that I need to wear an apron. I always just say..my job.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:52:09 AM  Show Profile
ha ha!! Jenny, I get those looks too and questions when I am in town and I have my apron on. And that is alwasy my reply too....It's my job.

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile
i used to run barefoot all the time (no matter where i lived!) ... but now with this darned diabetes thingie .. i am ORDERED to wear shoes 'all the time' ... i am almost ALWAYS barefoot ... or with 'sockies' and legwarmers on when 'inside'.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  3:51:57 PM  Show Profile
when we wear our aprons .. or cowgirl boots .. or funky hats .. or osh koshes .. or gypsy clothes .. or funky outfits .. or do our hair up in unusual colors or styles .. this is SUCH a great way to meet people ... and to tell them all about our lifestyle and our life passions .. and best of all .. to make new friends. ALWAYS wear a SMILE .. and i do believe people are naturally attracted to us ,.. and want to know us.

i've made lots of new friends by being 'different' and a little 'whacky. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  4:01:26 PM  Show Profile
This is an interesting thread. I grew up on a farm and moved away to the big city in my early 20's. I have a bit of both in me. I love to garden, love animals and am kinda a "plain jane" when it comes to clothes. I use to be a "fashion horse" when I first moved to the city, heels, make-up, dresses, designer labels, etc. But sensibility took over. I am more comfortable in my jeans and tennis shoes then in a dress. Girls I work with that have lived in the city all their lives are amazed at my cooking from scratch (not all the time, but a good portion of it) and the canning of items from my garden. City girls can be judgemental at times, but then so can country girls - I have experienced both. I always believe that if you are comfortable with yourself and have good self-esteem, then who cares what everyone else thinks - just do your thing.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  6:06:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CabinCreek-Kentucky

when we wear our aprons .. or cowgirl boots .. or funky hats .. or osh koshes .. or gypsy clothes .. or funky outfits .. or do our hair up in unusual colors or styles .. this is SUCH a great way to meet people ... and to tell them all about our lifestyle and our life passions .. and best of all .. to make new friends. ALWAYS wear a SMILE .. and i do believe people are naturally attracted to us ,.. and want to know us.

i've made lots of new friends by being 'different' and a little 'whacky. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Too true Frannie! I have had the same experience. I know I am thought of as slightly wacky in some circles...but it's who I am. Took me years to embrace it-wasted too much time wanting to be someone else. Praise God I finally "got" it!

I have a young friend who has always been very different in her dress & personality...sadly, people at our church sometimes misunderstand her. I have to think though, that she is the perfect person to share her faith with those who are bit different.

And my oldest son, the nicest boy EVER, is often misunderstood. Some folks think because he is young, a musician (who looks the part) that he isn't too bright. What a surprise they get when he opens his mouth!
Just think of all we'd miss if we didn't look DEEP. :)

Blessings All!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  6:28:26 PM  Show Profile
I've been a city girl and am now a country girl. I much prefer the country! I felt like when I was the city girl that I was trying to be someone else -- thought my career was the most important thing, wearing fancy clothes, etc. Living up to other expectations. But when I moved to the country I "found" myself and know that I was destined to be wearing jeans, an apron, and even being barefoot on occasion. I don't feel the need to impress anyone and perfectly comfortable with who I am. I think that city girls are wonderful -- they just have different ideas about what is important than we do. My sis-in-law is a definite city gal and when I tell her about my Farmgirl things she doesn't get it. But that's ok. She's happy where she is and I'm happy where I am! But that gal was rude to stare at you like that!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Citygirls are So Strange Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page