shelbyc
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

shannon
murdale british columbia
Canada
72 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  9:23:36 PM  Show Profile
I need some help from you ladies please. I worked up a strip of my lawn along the back about 20 x 4 feet. I plan to start a perennial flower bed there. The center of the strip was kind of wet but I planned to put a pathway through there and maybe put some rocks down. Then we got some heavy rains for a few days, and now have had 3 days of beautiful weather. So I went back out to work and an see that the lay of the land might keep the entire ground soggy. Is there anything I can add to the soil or any other suggestions, or should I resead the grass and move on? Thanks for any help,
Shannon

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  12:43:40 PM  Show Profile
Look up rain garden plants and see if anything like that would work with your ideas. They are plants that do well with boggy conditions. I have an area like that in my yard and would like to find something also.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  7:51:18 PM  Show Profile
is it somewhere you could plant a willow to soak up some of the water? Arctic willow is a small variety if you don't want a big one. it'll drain off lots of the water and then you can plant hostas, ferns , etc around it. gunnera also like boggy spots. we have a big boggy spot and i planted a curly willow sprig that's a beautiful tree now.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

shelbyc
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

shannon
murdale british columbia
Canada
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy and Rhonda for those suggestions, I'll look check them all out. A nursery suggested Cottoneaster may work good there as well. My Mom has a hedge of this, and it is very nice. Something else to consider.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Boggy Planting Site Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page