Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Roundup Poison Ivy Spray Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  5:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm desperate to get rid of a lot of out of control poison ivy. This stuff has been taking hold on an old barbed wire fenceline for years and years. My dh and I recently fenced in an area for our dogs to run that includes this fenceline. The ivy 'vines' are the size and thickness of sapling trees. DH recently saw the roundup spray in a garden center. Has anyone used it? I'm wondering if we kept the dogs out for a couple of weeks after spraying/disposing of the poison ivy roots/plants/sapling size stalks, if the chemicals would still remain? I'm highly allergic to the stuff and other than trying to dig it up, which would take a very, very long time and lots of serious digging(probably have to use the tractor), I'm at a loss as to how to get it out of there.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  6:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Janice
You need to borrow someone's goat. They will decimate it in no time. When we got our goats, we had a fenceline with invasive honeysuckle & some poison ivy, & it was gone, gone, GONE in less than a month. When we got them, we could not even see the fence. Now, it looks like, well... a fence.
The Roundup will probably work, but I am sold on the Caprine method of weed control
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  05:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Janice - I completely sympathize with you. In one far corner of our property we have a repeat, serious issue with poison ivy thanks to our neighbors. They have let a patch of poison ivy on their property grow up several trees and along their back fence until it started invading our yard. I've tried talking with them about it and several times they've agreed to do something on their side where it intersects our property, but they never follow through. Year after year we have had to spray at the fence line, remove portions with gloves and at one point we even had a company come out to eradicate it, but until the neighbors do something on their side (which clearly they do not seem to want to do), it keeps growing back.

We've used the round-up poison ivy spray, and it killed it for one season, but it kept growing back. If the vines have become thick and woody, it may need some serious digging out. I have seen other posts on here about poison ivy where some Farmgirls had barnyard buddies eat it to eradicate it, so maybe goats is a good suggestion. I will say be careful - all parts of poison ivy can cause bad reactions in humans - leaves, seeds, stems, vines, etc. Good luck.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Janice.....i am run over by the posion ivy here.going to have to get the roundup. I seriously was going to borrow or buy a goat and they just had a law passed here that goats in town are illegal......so no goat borrowing :(
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  3:07:09 PM  Show Profile
But if one brings in a goat for a few days wouldn't that be different from actually keeping a goat in the eyes of the law? And if not then wouldn't the job be done before anyone gripes about the goat being there? And even if they do what are they going to do tell you to get rid of it or else pay a fine. Surely there is a warning notice first. And even if one has to pay a fine maybe it would be worth it, but maybe the judge would just dismiss it in a case like this anyway. I mean I believe in keeping the law but I think laws should allow for common sense and sometimes the only way to battle a silly law is to buck the system. I would imagine the law is there in order to prevent a goat farm from sprouting up in a populated and too small of a space anyway. I used to take my goats with me sometimes to my Mom's house in town when I would spend the night. Nobody ever said anything unless they wanted to pet them.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  5:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Lisa - Let me know if the Roundup works for you. My dh is now trying to 'borrow' a goat. He's put the word out and and is waiting for a while to see if anybody will loan us one.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Roundup Poison Ivy Spray Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page