Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Saving $$$ Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile
I've had to really start cutting back on expenses--I'm scheduled for full time hours but I'm really only working about 34 hours a week. Not much I can do about it. So I've already cancelled the caller ID on my phone, I've started taking my lunch, I'm considering getting rid of my landline phone altogether, I'm driving less and I sorta got a part-time job. Not sure what else I can cut. I've stopped eating out and have been paying more attention to what's on sale at the grocery. We no longer get a pension at work, we have to contribute to a 403b plan that the hospital matches. So that amounts to a pay cut if you contribute, but of course they don't call it a pay cut. I know there are other farmgirls who are unemployed, underemployed, or have huge medical expenses and I feel for you all. I'm lucky I have a job but how do employers expect our country to thrive if everyone is cutting back? And not just on splurges, but on the basic necessities? I know people on welfare who have more spending power than I do. Something just ain't right.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  2:12:28 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like you are really working hard to live on less, so many of us are challenged like you are.
Have you heard of Dave Ramsey's Total Money Make Over? You can probably find it at your Public Library.
He has a talk show on our local talk radio too. Another source for inspiration and encouragement are the Tightwad Gazette books, they should also be at the library.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but even when money is super scarce, we budget 10% to give to our church and other deserving organizations. When we are faithful to this, we ALWAYS have enough. Everything we have is 100% from God, we get to keep 90%-- a pretty good deal! On months when we have held back on our contributions, we have felt pinched, anxious, and empty. AND we ran out of money til the next paycheck!!!

You are not alone in this, and I hear your frustration when folks on welfare have more spending power, but they are not as free as they seem. What happens to them if and when the gov goes broke?

Best wishes to you and your family. You are going to be OK!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  2:27:46 PM  Show Profile
I've cut back. One is a pay cut because I don't drive a big rig anymore, but, another is I just don't need that much!! The landline phone is going dark on Monday. We bought out of a cell phone contracts and went to Straight Talk. I cook/bake everything from scratch. The whole nine yards.

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Ive been cutting back myself. Ive saved alot of money by making my own cleaners and detergents, using coupons and buying store brand. Im also trying to research and renegotiate our monthly expenses (phone,cable,electric,etc). Depending on the results,we may be switching some companies. Some sites I use quite frequently are: mysavings.com (free samples, coupon deals,etc), & frugalliving.about.com (wonderful tips there).

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  5:58:01 PM  Show Profile
We have stopped buying a lot of stuff at the grocery store and the kids are on the wait till your birthday comes for buying anything extra. We have ditched the landlines and have two beaters to drive, one with air and the other without. I have a huge garden which if you don't have anything growing at least start a little something in a bucket or flower pot (lettuce is easy). The biggest thing we have is our electic bill which next week I am getting a clothes line and using that. Illinos is officialy in a drought so I might as well take advantage of the warm dry heat. When ever it is under 78 we open up the house and turn off the air. We needed to set a limit on it since most of us have asthma. We also only use the dishwasher when it is absolutly full. Our garden gets some water so not to kill the plants but also not to kill the water bill either. We only water anything that is still seedlings or lettuce and spinich. Everyone is finding ways to pinch pennies, I'm currently trying to make them scream when I pinch them. I also went thru the whole house and put every bit of school stuff together so the boys can get their supplies there rather than me shopping for everything new.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  6:09:21 PM  Show Profile
We found a huge energy savings by getting a coffeemaker with a thermal carafe and auto shut off. It was actually a birthday present from my sister, so no $$ went out for it ;)
Before, we had the typical coffee maker with the glass carafe that would stay on for a good portion of the day drawing energy the whole time.
I suppose if you can not get one of these fancy coffee makers, you could brew your coffee and put it in a thermos for the rest of the day.

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  8:05:05 PM  Show Profile
We do the thermos for the coffee here, too. The clothes dryer is a huge energy suck. Get as much daylight in your house as necessary to keep lights off. Get rid of cable/satellite. There's so much free internet entertainment. Plan your meals and use coupons/strategies for grocery shopping, like the other comment said. Is it possible to bicycle any? I can't bicycle from my house to town because it's too dangerous, but I can once I get to town. Choose hobbies that are cheap/free and take a lot of time to finish like reading books from the library, kitting/crocheting. Look for free entertainment events/classes/outings in your town. If you can grow something, grow it. If you need seeds, then ask your farmgirl sisters. You will have seeds coming out your ears you will get so many!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  07:15:59 AM  Show Profile
I agree something just isn't right. I'm not sure what else to cut back on. we already live bare bones and I get tired of driving crap cars, never having anything extra to travel or do things. just gets tiresome watching every penny. am i never going to be comfortable ? never going to be able to take a vacation or drive a decent car ? ain't right
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I know I am making more money now than I ever did and it's just me , but it seems like I have less now than I did when I was raising my four kids alone, and the stress is much higher. At work they want us to do more work with less staff and we are not allowed over-time, it's hard to walk out when you don't feel like your work is done but I refuse to work off the clock, if I would fall or get hurt they wouldn't pay for it. It is just really sad to me, sometimes you feel like what is the point!
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  6:50:00 PM  Show Profile
Boy I know the name of this tune; I have had jobs where I was unappreciated, verbally abused, and definitely underpaid, but I could not leave, there were no other job prospects! Phooey!

Please don't let this economy grind you down my sisters!
You are all very capable and wonderful women and I am proud to be in this sisterhood!
My prayer tonight will be that you all will be filled with peace, and that you will find at least one thing a day that keeps you happy and sane.

I will also pray that some awesome great opportunities will presented to you! My sisters will be smiling and shouting Woo-Hoo!

C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Jun 24 2012 6:53:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  7:12:21 PM  Show Profile
I will say that we went to Magic Jack a few years ago and have not been disappointed, if you are a bit tech challenged though we had Vonage for a few years and were extremely happy with it as well...but magic jack was even cheaper, I will say in some ways not as good as vonage but in other ways I like it better too. It's a lot cheaper for sure...but vonage is a lot cheaper then a land line too!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile
My dh retired in 2007 and we pared way back starting 2 years before. We made ourselves pay off everything and now if we do not have cash for it we do not get it. I am a prepper and I have a garden and put as much food up as possible. We found that by making these choices ourselves instead of waiting till we had not choice that it was alot easier in the long run. I do grocery shopping once a month and that really saves alot. Also I cook everything from scratch. Nothing from a box or out of the freezer case. I have also cleaned out all the STUFF in my home that we do not really need. It is a relief to have it all gone and be able to be fre from the clutter.

Hang in there and know that you can do what ever it takes to make things work.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Saving $$$ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page