Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 BRD (bile reflux disease)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic BRD (bile reflux disease) Next Topic  

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  07:10:34 AM  Show Profile
So the beast in my gut finally has a name

Rather than excess stomach acid, it's bile leaking in from the small intestine and causing stomach fullness/discomfort.

Some days are good, some days/weeks I'm in constant discomfort-especially after eating something higher in fat.

So no more precious nut butters. And if tahini is high in oils/fat- I'm afraid the same reaction will occur.

The worst reaction happened while we were on the cruise and I had a few bites of fried potatoes. That bloated/bad feeling made me feel poorly for almost the rest of the week. Strange how I can eat hamburgers and Doritos with no ill effect. I'm now making a list of the good stuff and bad stuff. Beer and beer bubbles also makes me feel a little better.

I go in for a consult on Tuesday. My endoscopy was about a month ago where they biopsied 3 lesions. The dr. put me on Nexuim to reduce stomach acid. The mixing of stomach acid and bile "can" up the chances of ulcers and ultimately cancers. So for sure this has me concerned. Worse case scenarios has people if far more pain than this, with worse symptoms and feelings of needing to thorw up bile almost daily. Luckily this sensation has only happened three times, very far apart. And I was able to make it go away. Thank goodness for activated charcoal too. It does make my tum feel a bit more settled.

I have lost almost 10 pounds, but thanks to middle age spread, I still look healthy and am managing decent muscle mass thanks to the rigors of work.

As I do more research on this, one of the other drugs to manage this is synthetic bear bile. (ursodeoxycholic acid) So now it all makes sense as to why bears are often times poached and then their gall bladders sold on the black market to China.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  9:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Anna, what is activiated charcoal. My husband seems to have this. He thinks it is acid reflux, but lately he says bile is coming up. Of course he eats, and eats, and eats.
Good luck with your BRD.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  05:15:11 AM  Show Profile
Activated charcoal is actually the burnt husk (I think) of coconuts). It is a very fine powder. We usually see it in aquaruim filters but we can also ingest it in capsul form purchased at most health food stores. Hospitals use it sometimes for the ingestion of poisons. Travelers can use it for emergencies in case of food poisoning because the bacteria bind to the microscopic pores in the charcoal and are flushed out of the system. (Wish I had known about this in 2000)

Not sure why it makes cases of blie reflux patients feel better, but it does.

It does caution for people to drink LOTS of water when taken because it can cause constipation. The stool will blacken for a time too, so don't be alarmed

I'd have your husband scheduled for an endoscopy since this condition erodes the lining --and in unchecked extreme cases will cause cancer. I have 3 areas that were biopsied. So that's what this consult is all about. Some people elevate the heads of their beds.

I'm a teensy bit freaked out, but hopefully when I see the dr on Tueday, he will help answer some questions. My mom is going w/ me since she is a nurse and may help think of some questions too.

Luckily I haven't been belching any bile or had any bile taste....just the unhappy tummy.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  09:10:37 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the information, Anna. Hope all goes well.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  09:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Just hang in their -- I remember reading about an octogenarian who just climbed some big mountain and was very fit. (unlike this couch potato)..

When asked how he did so well in life, he responded: "I eat the foods that like me, not the ones that I like." So Girl, make friends with new foods. You may miss some of the old "friends" .. But listen to your Doc and take good care of yourself.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  1:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Guess I can kiss almond and cashew butter good buy too...it will be very sad....but my guilty pleasure that was not indulged into very much was Sonic's Popcorn chicken. It's so good!!!

But neither are worth 4 or 5 days worth of pain. I do love raw veggies and salads, so transitioning won't be a problem. I do want to be pain free.

Thank goodness I don't reflux this nasty stuff into my throat like so many other people.

Thanks for the well wishes. Worst part is, I don't like one of the nurses, so tomorrow when she goes to take my vitals, they will be sky high. Deep breaths....and a prayer and it will be ok
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  3:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Prayers going out for you, Anna. Keep us posted.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  03:54:57 AM  Show Profile
So the consult went well. 45 minutes and that's the longest I think I have EVER talked with a doctor!

On top of the bile issue. (doctor confirmed my stomach was SWIMMING in it--gross!!) I also have Barretts Esophagus. or what might be the start of it. Classic symptoms are the GERD and acid reflux which thankfully I do not have. But areas where the epophagus and stomach meet has suspect odd cell growth the dr. wants to follow up with in 2 more years. The Nexuim will dampen stomach acid and prevent further erosion of this area. Erosion=places for bad cells to grow so I'll be on Nexium for life it looks like. Oh well.

Other drug he is going to put me on will coat my stomach and I'll take this 4 times a day. It's supposed to be for ulcer patients, but the bile reflux people take this too. So a month's worth on this, and I'll go back in and we'll see if I'm able to eat more and feel any better.

Best news was.....he said I don't have a disease nor do I have cancer.

So on we plug and hopefully I can get to feeling better.

Must remember that on days when I do feel good- to NOT over indulge and over stuff myself! Nibbling has become a habit of sorts, so perhaps I can keep this up. 'Cause Lord knows the pain all around sure isn't worth it! And boy what I wouldn't to just simply feel those hunger pangs and NOTHING else!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  07:48:59 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear you are going through so much Anna. I know when my tummy is having its problems, life can get rough.
sending hugs your way,
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  03:58:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much!

I'm counting my blessing TENfold though!

At least all I get is a bellyache and that's about it. True, it IS annoying.

And last night found out that beloved blue cheese dressing is on the list of foods to avoid. All that was consumed was about a teaspoon! At lunch- Ritz crackers did the same thing. So scratch those and move to saltines or nummy Almond Breeze cracker thins- those are good!

So this probably means ranch and most likely mayonaise based foods like potato salad will also be removed.
I wonder if (yucky) fat free would sit any better. Due to an already existing egg allergy, I don't eat much potato salad anyway, but do sneak a few bites on occasion.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic BRD (bile reflux disease) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page