Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Escalating Drug Problem in my town...BUSTED!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Escalating Drug Problem in my town...BUSTED! Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  03:59:29 AM  Show Profile

WHOOO HOOO!!!! This was in the morning paper....

July 11, 2012
7/11/2012
Four arrested on drug charges
Menominee police shut down Ma's Smoke Shop

Menominee police put new locks and yellow tape on the doors at Ma’s Smoke Shop Tuesday after four people were arrested on drug charges relating to the sale and delivery of synthetic drugs....

Brett Botbyl
By CLINTON LANG
EagleHerald staff writer

Just heard that sometime today our esteemed Gov Snyder is expected to sign a bill BANNING the sale of "Spice" in Michigan---Hallelujah!

Over the past year or so our town has allowed four Smoke Shops to open-They just seemed to spring up overnight! Today, in our local paper on the front page, is an article titled "Local OD Rates Rise" The author of the article is attributing the dilemma to a steady and rapid influx of Heroin and something called "Spice" that is sold in the local Smoke Shops. Apparently, this "Spice" is considered a synthetic form of marijuana and is LEGAL to sell in Michigan.

I have known for some time that there was a drug problem in the area, but I had no idea to what extent it had escalated too. I hate to say it because it sounds so naive, but we are a SMALL town-We are NOT New York or Chicago or LA. So how come we are experiencing BIG city problems?

What can we do as a community to make it go away?

The first thing that came to my mind after reading the article was to gather a bunch of concerned parents and residents and picket! I know that sounds so 70's which I can totally relate to, but what can ONE person do to turn this around?

Does your town have these kinds of problems?

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on Jul 11 2012 07:48:51 AM

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  04:28:39 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I noticed that there are alot of smoke shops opening up in the U.P. Marquette had 2 that were just closed down, a city ordinance banned "spice" and "bath salts" and all synthetic drugs from being sold. One owner was arrested and convicted of selling it and is no longer allowed to open any kind of business there. I think Iron Mountain just put in that ordinance also. We have also a big drug problem, mostly drug houses here. I don't really know what can be done, except getting the law involved.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  06:17:07 AM  Show Profile
No one wants to talk about the drug problems here in town...it's always been "out of sight, out of mind." There was a distinct rumbling when the first shop opened, but the city continues to allow these shops to open one after another. We've become a mecca for drug addicts and dealers. The atmosphere of a good, clean small town is fast disappearing. How sad is that? The thing too is the fact that we border Wisconsin (just over the bridge) where it's illegal to sell "Spice" so besides having our own population infused with this crap, people in another state are flocking here to purchase it.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  06:59:29 AM  Show Profile
There's a problem because it's enticing since it's legal on one border and not the other. I have heard the rise in heroin is due to it being easier to get than marijuana or prescription drugs, since doctors are not prescribing willy nilly anymore. I know this kind of activity does not like attention. If there's too much attention from nosey people or the police they tend to move on to easier pickings.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I think drugs are a problem everywhere, meth labs are such a problem in this area, and those people a scary. Indiana has outlawed spice and bath salts, but several businesses have been busted still selling them. It just seems like so many people have lost their way of all ages. A lot of nursing homes are getting residents that are young due to drug abuse, so sad. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:33:57 AM  Show Profile
We have a meth problem here in our area. So far, I haven't heard of bath salts probs in this area but it's prolly not far behind.

Just heard on the radio about 20 secs ago, now the police are telling people to lock their car doors when in their cars because people are attacking them, jerking the car door open and attacking!! Fortunately, my vehicle auto locks the moment I put it into drive and start to move. WOW!!!

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  3:07:09 PM  Show Profile
Yes, drugs are a problem everywhere. My town has opened a teen center where kids can hang out in a drug-free environment. I think they start using drugs because they are bored. Same with sex. One teenage girl who lives in the boonies told me all her friends have sex cause there's nothing else to do. so sad.
cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  6:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately drugs are a problem everywhere but, just recognizing that they are in your area is a start. Maybe talk to the person that wrote the article and work with them on some ideas. Church youth groups, schools your local police dept.. Being involved and not just turning a blind eye to the situation is a great way to begin. You can't change the whole world but, if you try and help one kid that is HUGE. Good luck and Congratulations because a lot of people may have read that article and did not think they would be involved.
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  8:03:10 PM  Show Profile
You have to organize...One person can change the world. organize with like minded people, write, get some one in your group to run for office, get a petition started to change the ordnance's so that there cant be a smoke shop on every corner. There's a place to start.

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  4:38:23 PM  Show Profile
In my line of work, i see many drug addicts and the town I work in has about 126,000 people. Not a small town,but certainly not a big city either. Where i live is there is about 4500 people and there is a drug problem here,too. Its not a "big city" problem, its a social problem. I wish i could pinpoint one certain thing that explains why this is so rampant, but I cant. The reasons why people abuse drugs are as varied as the people themselves. Picketing, while it may embarrass the smoke shop owners into not carrying "spice" aka "K2"aka "incense", will do little if anything to deter a drug user. I say if you really want to help,contact a drug counselor or rehab center and ask them how you can be the most effective. If you belong to a church or civic group, ask them if they will come and speak. They have a wealth of information that Im sure they would gladly share. Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  4:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great!! There was a problem with "Spice" in our area and I only learned about it last year. What a scary scary substance!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  07:54:02 AM  Show Profile
Great news. I'd be elated.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  10:23:14 AM  Show Profile
My cousin is in jail right now because of bath salts. It is rampant in my home town and does really bad things to people. My cousin was supposed to be getting married and now he's lost his girl and is in prison. She is the one who turned him in too because he ripped all her clothing off and cut her and told her he was going to tear her face off. Then he put sugar in her gas tank so she couldn't get away. So he got arrested on assault and kidnapping and will be in for a while...thank the Lord! He needs so badly to get clean. That person is NOT my cousin. It's totally the bath salts. It's so sad that there aren't more communities putting huge efforts forth to stop this stuff. Pretty soon, horror stories like the zombie guy in florida will be regular nightly news....unfortunately it is the small towns where this stuff is really taking over. :(
I'm glad that establishment was closed down in your town!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2012 :  5:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Escalating Drug Problem in my town...BUSTED! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page