StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  2:31:34 PM  Show Profile
It has been a heart-breaking week as we lost our beloved german shepherd Sophie, my furry protector, and my shadow. I didn't want to have to make the decision for her, and in her wise fashion, she decided when it was time to go and passed away during the day while we were at work. Her health had been a real roller coaster...for days at a time she would be perky, interested in food and playful...then she would crash, but still keeping her eye on me and following me from room to room if she was strong enough.
We picked up her ashes today and I have everything planned out for her resting place. This is the first day I am able to write this without turning to mush and getting my keyboard all soggy. Those little reminders I run across still kill me though.
Our other three dogs seem a little perplexed...especially since I re-arranged their beds and the two girls are now allowed free range in the house while we are away.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns

bertha
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Bertha
St Joseph Mi
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile
O man I am so sorry.Just breaks my heart..My thoughts are with you Hugs Bert Bush
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Paula, my deepest heartfelt condolances to you and yours...she will be waiting for you in the afterlife...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  4:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Aw, Paula... My heart and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Hugs, Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  5:53:52 PM  Show Profile
I saw a post on facebook once that was a dog at the pearly gates and an angel said to a new human arrival "so you are the one he's been telling us about all these years...I wish I had it to send to you, Paula. Hugs and prayers to you and tears for you...so sorry.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  6:42:37 PM  Show Profile
oh i am so sorry for you it sure does hurt. i send you hugs and love. the little reminders are heart breaking. love to you my friend.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  6:52:29 PM  Show Profile
((((hugs))))I have an elderly boxer and I know I'll be a real case when it's time for him to go. Sophie choose to leave at her own time so you wouldn't have to make the decision. But she will be waiting across the rainbow bridge.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  6:50:25 PM  Show Profile
So sorry for your loss. They are truly amazing parts of our lives and really make our days better. I hope you begin healing and remembering the good without quite so many tears. I am sure she deserves every teardrop of love from you.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  7:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Paula so sorry for the loss of Sophie, she gave you and your family her best. She is running across a meadow but she will be waiting for her family to be with her again. Blessings Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  7:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Paula,
I'm so, very sorry you lost your sweet Sophie! I know what it's like and it's just hard!
Praying for you!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  07:06:20 AM  Show Profile
Paula,
I am sorry for your loss.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  07:37:05 AM  Show Profile
My prayers for you in this time of sorrow.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  2:03:14 PM  Show Profile
I said a prayer for you and your family today. It is sad to lose a pet. We have a 16 yer old lab and I watch him failing every day. It breaks my heart and I dread the day we lose him. My heart goes out to you.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  8:56:32 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to read about the loss of Sophie. Losing one of our pets is definately like losing a family member.
Hugs to you,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  8:13:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry for your loss. Poor baby girl... She's patiently waiting for you.

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  7:05:36 PM  Show Profile
So sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose a member of your family. I will be praying for you.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Paula, I am so sorry to hear of Sopie's loss. I am still struggling with Hobbs' death and know how your heart must be breaking. I was talking on the phone to DH the other day and saw Hobbs' halter and just about fell to the floor sobbing. Sophie sounded like a grand companion and I know you'll miss her dearly!

{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  9:06:32 PM  Show Profile
Paula, I am so sorry for you loss. I will keep Sophie in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  06:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It has been very quiet in our house lately. The other three dogs aren't as active anymore. The basket of dog toys is accumulating dust. I never realized Sophie was the one that kept the other dogs stirred up with her tail-chasing antics, and vocal bossiness. She brought energy to the pack, and now it is all drained away. I don't think it is a mourning kind of thing with them...I think it is just a void or a missing link.

I'm very seriously considering bringing in another dog. It may seem too soon, but I think Sophie would approve of us adopting another and making a vacancy in the shelter for all of those out there who need help like she once did. It will have to be the right personality. A rehab or abuse case won't work, but rather someone with some vigor and clownishness.

I've located a german shepherd who is in the puppies for parole program. She is "incarcerated" at a local corrections facility undergoing training by two of the inmates, and when complete, she will have earned her canine good citizen medal. From speaking with the individuals there and at the shelter where she came from, it sounds like she might be a good candidate to bring some happy energy back to our pack. It won't be the same, and I don't have that expectation. But hopefully it will still be a good thing. She landed behind bars because she was out gallivanting with the neighbor's ponies, and the owners didn't realize that herding dogs like to herd and shouldn't be allowed to run loose if there is something nearby that has the potential for being herded. She apparently likes to chase butterflies and play with her Kong toy and reportedly has gotten along great with every other dog who has come through the unit since her stay there began in April. She sounds like a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of dog.

I talked it over with my husband this weekend who was a little cool on the subject, but he is a dog lover too, and is coming around. Hopefully we will be able to make an appointment to meet her soon.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goodnight Sophie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page