Page: of 2

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  2:28:16 PM  Show Profile
I wear old time clothing most of the summer. I am the sewer at the Ozark Folk Center.I dress in the style of the1800's and very early 1900's. I also dance in the evening shows once or twice a week.
We wear aprons a lot. I make a lot of aprons, bonnets, etc.

www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Gail, your aprons look fabulous. I think I'll skip right back to your site and arrange an order :)
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  3:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Gail,

Please tell us more about the Center.. We would love to find out what is going on there now!

Ooooo.. I love the Ozark Folk Center.. It is on one of my places to revisit.

Madelena
FG 3153
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  3:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Check out the Ozark Folk Center Website for up to date information on what is going on. We have live music in the Craft Village every day. We are open from 10-5, Tuesday through Saturday.
Shows are Wed-Sat evenings at 7.

I made some hats today. I also helped a lot of little girls, boys, and their families make rag dolls in my "Rag Doll Workshop" today.

I will leave in a few minutes to dance in the evening show. I do old time Ozark style square dance, jig dancing, and waltz.

www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  8:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Gail...how wonderful!!! Sounds to me like you love livin and lovin what you do!! You touch so many hearts !! I hope one day I can come visit the Ozark Folk Center!!! Blessings farmgirl!!

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  03:19:46 AM  Show Profile
That sounds so neat. Your work is beautiful and you look so open and approachable. I would love to see you dance. Have a great summer!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

NeeneeB
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Kristin
N Windham CT
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  04:18:22 AM  Show Profile
I love that style of apron. Covers everything! Has pockets for collecting eggs or tomatoes as I pass the garden. I'm not fond of those aprons with narrow bibs that leave way too much of my shirt exposed. What can I say, I'm messy! Yours are beautiful and way more practical. Nice work!

Caprinihill.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  06:20:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gail I am interested in the everyday bonnet. Would you happen to have prints/colors that are more primitive (tans, beige, homespun material). I decorate in Colonial/Primitive and the bonnet would look great hanging on a peg in one of our bedrooms. You can email me.

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  6:27:03 PM  Show Profile
I can make bonnets from any cotton fabric. I have muslin, osnaburg, tea dye muslin, etc. Most of what I make is from cotton calico prints because that is what the Folk Center visitors seem to want. Let me know what you want and I can make one for you. I can send swatches of fabric for you to choose from, or you can send me your material and I will make it from that.
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I am really busy working 5 days a week and 2 nights at the Folk Center, so I don't always check this board. Email me directly (gailewis@aol.com) for more info, or to discuss what you may want. Bonnets have Peltex 71 (Polyester) to stiffen the brim--lightweight and washable. Bonnets are $14.95 plus $5 shipping via USPS Priority mail.

www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  9:27:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm drooling over your sewing machines! Do you have any early cowgirl type clothing? Like the big kerchief scarves they wore over their shoulders or riding skirts? Will check the site out!

http://www.mandolinbabe.biz

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,banjo pickin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Sherrie, I used to sell wildrags, the silk scarves that cowboys wear. I wear them all the time. I made mine 36 or 42 inches square. Look on Cattle Kate's website, they have scarves and lots of really great old time Victorian western clothes. Their stuff is very well made.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  10:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Gail, Awesome! thanx for sharing your photos.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

NancySully
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nancy
Centennial CO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  2:14:47 PM  Show Profile
I love you sewing machines! I have a collection of old Singers that I use. I would love to sew and wear vintage-style clothes, I just haven't found my prefered style, yet. No corsets!!!!
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  7:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Gail, you made me two calico aprons a while back and I LOVE THEM! I have the blue one on right now. Are you still sewing them for resale?

Nancy Brown

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  5:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Update: a lot has changed in my life.
I left the Folk Center and started my own business about a month ago. My business is called 'The Altered Ego' and it is on Main Street near downtown Mountain View.
I do mostly alterations, but also do some sewing. I just finished a patchwork skirt for a lady who called me asking for one. It came out really nice. I still make the aprons, bonnets, and old time clothing. I am having fun making skirts from old blue jeans. I cut off the legs and sew pretty material on (batik is my favorite) to make a skirt. Also making some crafts and will have my first craft class/workshop next Thursday.

www.thealteredego.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  6:01:31 PM  Show Profile

This is the alterations are of my new shop.

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  6:40:01 PM  Show Profile
The chances of my getting to AR are nil but if you would post pictures of your wares, I'd love to order some old-time clothing including more of your fabulous aprons.

Nancy B.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  07:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Congrats and blessings on your new endeavor! I admire you farmgirl! and love the jean skirt! Nana Shirl

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  5:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Ok, you asked for it. A few pics of the goodies in my shop:
This is one of my 'granny' aprons.
This apron is from a 1952 pattern--The 'Cobbler' apron.
I copied this apron from another old vintage apron.

Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  5:55:50 PM  Show Profile
I just finished this patchwork skirt for a lady, and will be sending it to her.

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  7:47:24 PM  Show Profile
If you're the lady who made my aprons, the style's not shown in these pictures. It had a waist band and a full gathered skirt and I paid $35 for each apron. I was sure the seamstress was from AR.

Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  8:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I made your aprons and I didn't post that style in these pictures. I still make those aprons, though.Here is one I recently made in size large. They are still $35 and I can make them to your measurements.

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  05:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Do you still have my measurements? The first ones you made were about 2 inches too short in the upper body length. I would love to have one apron to be a red print and one to be a green print if these colors are available. I'll need you address again.

Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
email me--- gailewis@aol.com or thealteredegogg@aol.com and we can discuss what you want.
I have hundreds of bolts of fabrics in all colors. If the first aprons I made you were too short in the waist, they are easily let down. I always sew the top to the bottom with a lot of extra fabric. Just unstitch at the waist, and restitch lower on the top to fit (or you could use iron on heming tape like "stitch witchery" to reattach if you don't sew. Sometimes it is difficult to fit using measurements via email---since I am not there to measure you. I can only go by the measurements I am given.
Measurements I need to make the bib apron fit accurately:
waist size, skirt length desired, measurement from top of shoulder to waist in front and in back, height and weight.
I make the aprons from 100% cotton fabric that has been pre-washed and dryed in the machine on hot---to preshrink.
Everything I make is guaranteed for any reason---return within 30 days for full refund. Sorry I cannot refund postage.
The bib apron is $35 plus $6 shipping (USPS Priority) = $41.

Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:02:13 AM  Show Profile
Gail.. I love your 1/2 jean skirt...it is darling...
I am more of an "Past time" clothes girl myself...I tend to make victorian clothing more than anything..MORE POWER TO YA!!

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

Chelley
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Mesa AZ
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2012 :  2:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Gail,
The denim skirt is beautiful. It has inspired me to get out the sewing machine and make one for myself. Thank you for sharing and for inspiring me. I've been dealing with cardiac issues for the past two years and have not felt inspired to do much (just don't have the energy). But your skirt has given me a jolt of energy just thinking of making one. Truly, thanks a bunch.

Blessings,
Chelley

...green smoothies...deep breathing...less stress...daily walks...laughter...all good things for radiant health and well-being.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Aprons and Bonnets Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page