westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  08:49:08 AM  Show Profile
Something has completely eaten the leaves from one of my tomatoes, and nibbled on the others, leaving the stems. The garden is completely surrounded by corral panels, so isn't deer. They are planted in a big waterering trough, so I don't think it is rabbits, and nothing has bothered the lettuce. Too early for tomato horn worms, what could it be?

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  09:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Awww... That's awful, Kennie Lyn!!! Are you sure it's not a really bad case of aphids? They absolutely DESTROYED my tomatoes... I had no idea what was happening, and then one morning I saw them... They were SO gross, like a HUGE colony, just devouring everything in their path... Maybe that was it? I don't know. I just was out planting and tossed some seeds in the garden - it's worth a shot before heading out to the nursery. Maybe that will work for you, too? Good luck! Believe me, I FEEL for you!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini, I don't think it has been warm enough here for aphids, but maybe. I think I will get some DE and put around them, just in case it is bugs.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  12:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Tomatoe horn catapillars, they blend really well on the plants, and start really small and grow really big, pick them off and chickens love them...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  2:46:03 PM  Show Profile
Tina:
How gross!! I'd burn the plant if I saw any kind of horned thing on it. I hate those things.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  5:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Marly, the chickens think they are candy, and will fight to get a bite...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - May 28 2012 :  8:55:31 PM  Show Profile
I am not fond of tomato worms, either, but they won't hurt people, just tomatoes. I don't have chickens, so I pick them off and step on them. But this isn't tomato worms, we now think it is birds. So tomorrow I am putting the tomato frames covered with screen around the remaining plants. We planted a garden once several miles away from any other garden, in place that hadn't had a tomato growing for probably 15 years, and we still got tomato worms. There is a bacterial thing that kills them, can't remember the name, but I will have to get some this year.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  04:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Sadly, those huge catepillars turn into the very beautiful sphynx moth. These moths love 4;00 flowers and will pollinate them when they open at dusk.

Too bad Because I know we all love our tomatoes.

We've had those durn Clolorado potato beetles jump from potatoes to our tomatoes which are in another field completely! Not too badly, but we almost lost one plant. Can't complain though. I mean, we only planted 200!! But both are in the nightshade family, so it only makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  12:24:39 PM  Show Profile
DH decided it was quail pecking the leaves from the tomatoes. Says he saw their tracks. Anyway they seemed to have moved on to something else. The plants that had lost all their leaves were just coming back, then the hail hit. I had planted some more plants the day of the storm, the hail nearly ruined them, but the original ones are startiing to look better again. I planted cabbage the day of the storm, but covered them with a small tent made of old sheer curtains. It looks really funny to see a small round tent in the garden, but the old curtains completley protected the cabbage from the hail. Ah the joys of gardening.

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  7:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Quail are so cute, you tend to forgive them thought don't you.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  05:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Hugs Kennie Lyn. I hope your garden recovers in spite of the rough start.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  08:39:24 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the good wishes. Quail are so interesting to watch. One spring we had a very late snow, a pair of quail were on top of the fence outside our milk barn, and the female sounded like she was nagging her mate about the cold and snow, the male was just sitting there all hunched up and she was just complaining away. It was cute, and I really can't begrudge them a few tomato leaves. But I hope they just leave the green beans alone until they get big enough to vine.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  12:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the joys of gardening.....that's why we keep our day jobs!!

We had a time of it last year with crows pecking hole in our watermelon! this is the ONE money crop we do bother to try and sell. Sold a few, but not nearly the truck load we usually do, that's for sure!

Corn this year has done pathetically. Not enough rain :(

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomatoes Destroyed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page