Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  08:21:09 AM  Show Profile
With fall and the chilly weather coming on I'm looking for some tasty soup recipes. What are your favorites?

One of my favorites is a basic chili...tomato juice, sauce, beans, burger and chili powder. For some reason I'm just not big on adding anything else to it, I just really enjoy it pretty plain

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Yum! Good idea for a thread! Don't forget to send your recipies in for the Farmgirl Connection cookbook! You can either email me or daisyfarm!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  2:30:27 PM  Show Profile
Here is my favorite cabbage soup and the best part is it's really easy and quick.

CHEESE AND VEGETABLE CHOWDER
4 cups water; 3 cups shredded cabbage; 1 cup finely chopped Canadian style bacon; 2 large carrots, thinly sliced; 1 5.25 to 5.5 oz. pkg. dry au gratin potato mix; 1 cup milk; 1 tsp. cornstarch; 1 cup green beans.
In a 4 quart dutch oven combine the water, cabbage, bacon, carrots, and the dry potatoes with sauce mix. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Combine the milk and cornstarch; add to soup along with beans. Simmer, covered,for 10 to 15 minutes more or until beans are tender. MAkes 4 - 6 main dish servings.

I hope you like it.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  3:15:40 PM  Show Profile
I make a mean curried beef stew that I bake in a hollowed out pumpkin shell. It's any basic beef stew recipe - just add curry powder to taste and bits of the pumpkin (minus its skin) like you might add potatoes or squash.

Make the stew first by browning your meat and adding the veggies. I usually let it cook for a bit to get the potatoes half done or so before putting into the pumpkin and baking. Bake for an hour or so and then serve in the pumpkin shell.

We also did a sausage and corn chowder as a kid that was yummy. Use crumbled sausage (sage flavor is awesome - precook before adding other ingredients) and add potatoes, onions, mushrooms and frozen or canned corn. Make a milk-based broth (you can also use "cream of" soups to make the broth too... we usually used cream of potato...) and cook until potatoes are done. Great for cooking in a cast iron pot on top of the woodstove.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  3:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Another favorite is not really a soup but cooked like one... layer link sausages, corn on the cob and potato quarters in a big pot (like a crab pot or stock pot.) Sprinkle with paprika or cayenne pepper, some salt and pepper and dabs of butter, cover and then cook until done. Yummy! Use a tiny bit of water on the bottom to steam the items...

[Note: this is the same thing you would do with crayfish, crabs or other seafood items, but add more water, I think.]

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Sep 18 2006 3:21:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Some of my favorite favorites don't have a recipe, but this one I stopped to write down one day. It's really yummy.

Tortilla Soup

1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup diced celery
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 T olive oil
lrg can chicken broth
2 cups water
2 t chicken soup base
2 carrots, sliced
1 whole cooked chicken breast, diced**
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes & green chilies diced***
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 t chili powder
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
fresh lime
baked tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips (use less salt in soup)

Saute onion, celery and garlic in hot olive oil for several minutes, until tender. Add broth, water, soup base and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes. Add chicken, tomatoes with juice and rice. Cook until carrots are tender . Add corn and beans. Season to taste and simmer for 15 minutes until rice is tender. Ladle into bowls. Top with cilantro, tortilla strips and a squeeze of lime juice.

**If you want to use a whole chicken (because you have one or for your budget) just cook the chicken and use some, but not all of the meat and use the broth (about 4-5 cups) instead of the canned broth.
***If you don't want it spicy, drain the broth from the tomatoes and discard. It will still have a little kick.

Barbara in Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile
I just use a organic chicken broth and then ad stuff, it always comes out good. Whatever I have in the fridge at the time, I try to ad fresh veggies as much as possible. Then maybe some rice, canned tomatoes, pasta,etc etc, just about anything.Use herbs or seasonings to flavor. I also use Miso for flavor to.big scoop. This is a big pot usually.and then I cook it in a pressure kettle. the things inside dont mush up, and its done in maybe 10 minutes
My DH loves my soups, of course I tell him I dont follow aa recipe so dont expect that kind to see that kind very often LOL
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  08:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
This is a fall favorite at my house. And it's done in a crock pot so start it in the morning and when you get home- it smells so yummy. Serve with fresh baked bread.

Autumn Harvest Soup

1 lb Hamburger/Ground Turkey or whatever ground meat you want
1 cup each of the following diced:
carrots
squash (acorn/summer)
onions
tomatoes
potatoes
2 cups water
2 cups beef broth
12 oz tomatoe sauce
fresh basil
salt & pepper

Brown the ground beef, drain. Put all the ingredients in the crock pot and set on low for 6 hours.

I love this recipe and usually involve the kids. The night before I will brown the beef and then have the kids help dice the veggies. I put it in bowls in the fridge and then before work I just throw it all together set the crock pot and go. As busy as we are its so nice to have a warm home cooked meal when time is limited.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  10:30:56 AM  Show Profile
ooo...I love soup!! Here is one of my favorites:

Pasta e Fagioli

1/8-1/4 pancetta, chopped (depending on how bacon-y you like it, you can also substitute regular bacon)
2 (4 inch) sprigs fresh rosemary
1-2 (4 inch) sprigs fresh thyme
2 dried bay leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely diced
1 rib celery, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
2 (15 oz) cans cannelini beans, or 1 can cannelini and 1 can red kidney
1 c canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups water
1 quart chicken stock
1 1/2 c ditalini, or other small pasta (elbows work well)
grated parmigiano reggiano or Romano

Heat a deep pot over medium high heat and add about 2 T of olive oil and pancetta. Brown pancetta bits lightly and add herb stems, bay leaf, chopped vegetables and garlic. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomato, water and stock to pot and raise to high heat. Bring to a rapid boil and add pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 mins or until pasta is cooked al dente. Rosemary and thyme leaves will separate from stems as soup cooks. Remove herb stems and bay leaf from soup. Let soup rest and begin to cool for a few minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top with lots of grated cheese. Good with a crusty bread for mopping!

This is a recipe from Rachel Ray that I have made a very few small changes to. SO delicious and easy! If you won't eat the full amount at one time you can make the pasta separately and put a little in each bowl when serving, then ladle soup over. That way the pasta doesn't absorb all the liquid while it sits in the fridge. You can just store the soup in one container, pasta in another and the re-heated soup will warm the pasta again.

Lynn

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  1:07:38 PM  Show Profile
ooo, just found this one from Family Fun and it sounds like yummy comfort food:

Creamy Potato Soup
We have not had a chance to test this recipe.
Add your rating and comments about this recipe here.

A creamy potato soup come all the way from the kitchen of Alana H., Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, Canada.
2 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 10-oz. can cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. parsley flakes
2 tbsp. butter or margarine

Step 1
In a large pot, cook potatoes and onions in boiling water until soft. Drain.

Step 2
In a large mixing bowl, mash the potatoes and onions together.

Step 3
Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix.

Step 4
Heat until simmering, for 1 to 2 minutes. Makes 6 cups.

Lynn

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite Soup Recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page