Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Your Favorite Vegetarian Cookbook?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Your Favorite Vegetarian Cookbook? Next Topic  

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  10:31:02 AM  Show Profile
I went veggie for a while a few years ago but went back to meat as I just wasn't a good vegetarian cook. Well since going back to meat, I've gained a ton of weight. (The whole milk from our dairy cow has a lot to do with that too.)

Anyway, curious to know what your favorite vegetarian cookbook is.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  11:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Carla,
We eat a lot of veggie meals at our house and most of our favorite recipies come from The Moosewood Cookbook.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  12:18:59 PM  Show Profile
The Moosewood cookbook is my favorite too. We should eat more veggie meals than we do. Husband prefers meat and potatoes.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  1:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a vegetarian, but I like The Essential Vegetarian by Diane Shaw. My favorite recipe out of it are the black bean burgers with plum sauce.

Jenny, for a while I was trying to have a couple of meatless nights a week. I should get back in the swing of things and do some meal planning.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  1:37:25 PM  Show Profile
One of my Favorites is Vegan Vittles.
I strive to be vegetarian...............

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile
That is what we try to do..I make sure we have at least one meatless night a week and try for two. I notice that when husband can't be home for supper we nearly always eat meatless.
Vegan Vittles..what a cute title for a book!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  2:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Moosewood! It's my absolute favorite cookbook - we have the "low-fat" one. I am vegetarian, hubby is not. Tough for him since I do all the cookin'!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  3:12:40 PM  Show Profile
I am a big fan of slow-cooker meals, especially as the season turns cooler - one of my favorites is "Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow-Cooker." I also really like the Moosewood series - the "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" is also good...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  3:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I don't eat meat by choice. I have never like it! But I still cook for sons/husband and such. I am a big pasta eater, so anything with pasta is good for me! But The All American Bean Book is a good one. We eat alot of rice and beans!!!! Yep, beano is a good thing!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I grew up vegetarian and am 3rd generation vegetarian so there are many ones I love, but the one I love most(my mom has it right now ) is one compiled by a church lady's group in Kansas City Mo. But I also love a series called "The Adventist Kitchen" they are put together ones as well and are so good!! Also if you want vegan "Oats Peas Beans and Barley" is very good!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:12:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been a vegetarian for over 14 years now (wow, sounds like a long time) and my dh and children and now my mom are veg.

My favorites are:
(in no particular order)

The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook: Cathe Olson
The Vegetarian Lunchbasket: Linda Haynes
The Vegetarian Family Cookbook: Nava Atlas
Horn of the Moon Cookbook: Ginny Callan
Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure: Lorna Sass

and of course my fave blog in the Vegan Lunchbox!! Not mine and no affiliation but she has some great ideas compiled. Tested and reviewed by her family!!

Lots of good sites on the net with great recipes too.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  07:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hi Carla. I have an extra paperback copy of "Laurel's Kitchen: A Handbook for Vegetarian Cookery and Nutrition"(1978 by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders and Bronwen Godfrey). It has not only recipes, but info on preserving nutrients, a table on the nutrient composition of foods and lots of other usefull info. It was big "back in the day" before I was a farm chick and was a hippie chick, instead. :) It has nearly 600 pages and is well researched. (The recipes are good, too!) If you want it, just let me know where to find your mailing address(I'm kind of new here) and I'll send it along.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  11:02:16 AM  Show Profile
Miss Bee Haven.....That would be great!!! I'll email you my address and everything.

For those of you that like the Moosewood cookbooks. I did a search and found that there are several of them. Any in particular your favorites?

I checked out The Enchanted Brocolli Forest from the library and I really liked that one.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Okay, Carla! I'll send it your way before the week is out. Enjoy!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Your Favorite Vegetarian Cookbook? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page