Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 $27,000 in dental work.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic $27,000 in dental work. Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  9:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My husband just returned from the dentist where he was told that he was going to need about $27,000 in dental work. Ugh. We definitly don't have that much money, even though we both carry dental insurance- it caps at $2,000 leaving us more that 10x short the amount needed. It will be just $10,000 to get his front four teeth repaired, and then he needs extractions and implants or somthing for 2-6 molars. We are a bit in shock. Him more than me. I knew his teeth were really bad and have been begging him to go to a dentist for years. Now it is almost insurmountable. We have been trying to get out of debt and are this close to buying a house next year. Now we aren't sure what is going to happen. I would greatly appreciate any prayers and positive thoughts.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  10:26:31 PM  Show Profile
If there's a dental school near you, check them out. They may be able to do it for a fraction of the cost.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  10:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Prariehawk, find a dental school in the area, they do good work, that where my daughter is getting her braces done, and she is very pleased. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  03:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Great suggestions, gals. :) Holy moly! I didn't know that dental work could even cost that much! Eek! Praying that you will find an answer to this issue...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  05:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies- We are definitly going to look into all suggestions. We are also going to get a second opinion from a dentist that I know from some time ago. I trust him. I'll keep you all updated as we get more info!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  05:41:10 AM  Show Profile
Holy Moly, Alee! I'd get a second and third opinion on that! Bless your heart!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  07:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies- unfortunatly it is pretty much his whole mouth. Six extractions, five crowns and almost every other tooth needs a root canal or filling or something. :( He has really trashed his teeth. :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Good luck! Sometimes dental work can be done a little at a time, not all at once. Get a second opinion and thee dental colleges are great!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Definitely seek another opinion. Ask the dentists you visit for a plan showing the most urgent procedures first, with the others to follow as money allows. Ask them about financing options as well. My BF had a similar situation with lots of dental work needed, and he has been slowly but surely getting the work done as his insurance will cover the work. It has taken a few years to accomplish but didn't break the bank. A good dentist will understand this and try to work with you. Good luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee! Oh! That's so much money... My first two thoughts were exactly those that the others have expressed: find a dental school (maybe a local University has a program, too), and not everything always has to be done all at once. My hubby needs dental work like that, too. He avoids the dentist like the plague because he just doesn't want to hear the same news your hubby received. But your teeth and gums are so important. I'll be praying for you... Please let us know how everything works out! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  09:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Alee, that is such a shame. Pretty soon, no one will be going to the dentist. I will keep this situation in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, Alee. I just reread your posts. You were asking for positive thoughts. I was just angry looking at the cost of the work, and that got me so angry. I will keep your hubby in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  11:16:51 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
When my mother had some problems a few years ago, they told her it was going to cost more than a small house. She said forget it and had them all pulled and got dentures. That might be an avenue to check out.

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I think Lora has a good suggestion here. Dentures today can sometimes be kept in the mouth all of the time and only removed for cleaning. They are so much nicer and more natural than they used to be. It cannot hurt to learn more about this option. The costs are outrageous for all of this dental work and something that will be a huge financial burden for a lot of years. I agree with all of the other farmgirls that you need to get another opinion, seek out a dental school and as many other leads as you find to get the best result for your investment. Good Luck!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  6:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lora- I appreciate the idea- but at 32 he definitly doesn't want to lose all his teeth. It might sound vain but that would be pretty emasculating for him, and he already has a birthmark on half his body that makes people judge him before they know him- he doesn't need to set himself up for more issues. We do have a young guy at our work that did that and his dentures never fit and gave him horrible mouth ulcers so he goes around without teeth.

We are going to do it bit by bit as we can- but we have 0 savings and insurance (even "premium" what a joke) only pays 2K a year. So we are going do it every couple of months- charge up the care, pay it off and do the cycle all over again. Yuck. Then he'll have more insurance money first of the year and we hope we can get it all finished up in a year or two. yuck.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  8:45:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee- I am sorry to hear of this expense. It just doesnt seem right. I hope that you can find a less expensive solution, such as a university nearby etc. I totally sympathize with Doug- I too LOATH the thought of a dentist. Unfortunately, I live by the "aint broke dont fix it" motto when it comes to my teeth, and unless something is bothering me I dont go. Not the smartest thing to do, but between the discomfort and the prohibative costs, who can blame us? LOL
Praying for some good news for Doug. One day at a time and you will come up with a plan and make it work for you!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  07:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Alee Please don't let him think of dentures at his age. After teeth are extracted the bone will slowly be absorbed and later in life there won't be any left to hold the denture in place, this happens expecially on the lower jaw. I saw this many many times while working in the dental field. Dentures should be a last resort. Sorry he's going through this but at least he's doing it.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  07:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Alee another thought here.....I just had a root canal and crown on a molar and the dentist wanted to do a porcelin (white) crown on it at a very high price, I insisted on gold as it holds up better (a lifetime) on a back tooth, the price on a gold crown was HALF that of the porcelin. Saved about $600.00.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  09:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's a good idea, Kathy! I will make sure that the crowns in the back are the gold or silver alloys. That could shave off several thousand. Thanks! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

CanyonArtist
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Heather
Greenville SC
USA
38 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  09:55:46 AM  Show Profile
Dear Alee:

Have your husband talk personally to your dentist to see if he can reduce the cost of certain procedures. Our dentist was able to minimize some of the costs, especially when he knew we had insurance. Your dentist will then let the accounts payable person at his office know. Remember to take all this is itty-bitty steps, no problem is insurmountable if taken one step at a time. I will be saying my prayers for your situation. Heather
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Alee: How is Doug doing through all of this? Please, let him know that I am praying for him.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Prayers being sent your way. I would surely get more opinions.

Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  7:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies! Doug is pretty depressed- who wouldn't be? But I let him know that his teeth are a priority and I won't let him go without getting everything fixed and I think that meant alot to him. He's a pretty stoic sort so sometimes you can't tell what's going on inside which is funny because he is actually super sensitive. I'll let you know what the second dentist says.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  7:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Alee
Im praying for you guys.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  10:47:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you'll keep us posted. I'm concerned, the most, about Doug's feelings. My hubby recently went through something like that. The amount wasn't that high, it was over $10 thousand. He was so upset. But to see his smile now, it was all worth it. Prayers will continue.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  04:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Is there anyway the dentist would so a barter type thing? Is your husband handy? Perhaps he could do odd jobs around the dentist office. My husband does this for our dentist (who is a friend of ours) It has really helped out with our out of pocket dental bills.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic $27,000 in dental work. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page