vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile
What kind of music do you enjoy? I think this thread could be a spot to discover new artists. rediscover old favorites and just talk about what music means in your life.

Maybe it can also be a way to trade CDs with other farmgirls

Make Farmgirls aware of the music you are making or just chat about favorite artists.

Heard a new CD by your fave that you want other farmgirls to know about?? This is the place.

Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  07:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Okay, since I opened this can of worms, I'll start.
I have recently rediscovered Country music. I have always been a fan of Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash and I may be Kris Kristofferson's biggest fan and I play these guys constantly.
Lately, though, I haave started to enjoy some newer, to me anyways, artists.
Loving Keith Urban, Tim McGraw and Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum. I love to sing and these artists are creating wonderful tunes that I can sing along to.
My dream is to one day have enough guts (or enough alcohol) to sing a really good country song at a Karaoke bar.
I grew up listening to country at home as a kid but somehow got away from it. I'm back and can't get enough
Michele

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  08:58:33 AM  Show Profile
I like country music, pop music, classical music; almost all forms of music. Lady Antebellum is coming out with really nice songs. I love how their voices blend. Yesterday, I heard an old country song by Merle Haggard, "Silver Wings". Now that is beautiful!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  09:32:22 AM  Show Profile
Merle is touring this summer. He's appearing with Kris in Coumbus, Ohio. I looked on line for tickets and thet were $300. and up. Too rich for my blood but what an opportunity to hear him again before he decides to stop touring.

Michele

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  11:26:36 AM  Show Profile
I saw Merle years ago. He can sing! I'm not paying $300. for a ticket. I'll just listen to his CDs or online.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  1:38:48 PM  Show Profile
I love the music I grew up with which was country from my dad and rock from my mom. So everything from the Eagles to Reba from Chicago to Hank Williams Sr and Hank Williams Jr. and so on. lol I do like the 50's and 60's music scene along with show tunes too.

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  6:51:55 PM  Show Profile
I love Celtic music and Native American music (especially flute). I find it earthy and relaxing and peaceful. I also like Coldplay, the Pretenders, Phil Keaggy (Christian music artist)...I guess my tastes are eclectic. I also tend to gravitate towards musicians who write their own music.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  7:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michele- Having grown up in rural Wyoming, Country was about all we got on the radio so I usually shunned it (contrary nature I suppose!) but I do like listening to it now- sometimes. Sometimes it can get to be too much and I switch back to K Love or a contemporary station. But some of the new songs are really good!! My sisters and I can sing a mean version of "I've got friends in low places" by Garth Brooks. Kareoke would be fun!

Prariehawk- I love those as well too! Especially Celtic music. I think you and I have very simialar tastes! My cd chest has everything from Eve 6 to Evanescence, to Colplay, Finger Eleven, to Libera (boys choir- AMAZING!) to classical to even some (select) rap! I guess I just love anything that has a beat to guide my feet and a melody that speaks to me. We have so many emotions as human beings- why limit yourself to one type of music, right?

Some of you know we recently bought a piano- I am so looking forward to having it tuned. My husband is dying for real lessons so I think I am going to buy him some for Father's day! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile
I love Adele's music. What a beautiful voice!
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  6:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think my husband is in love with Adele. Her voice is very rich. Many times current artists use something called "Auto Tune" that runs their voice through a tone correctional program to make it sound perfectly on pitch. If they are really off base then it can come out sounding a bit synthsized. I think Adele sings well in her own merit without having to use a vocal aid like AutoTune.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  07:44:37 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with that, Alee. She is true singer.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  08:04:41 AM  Show Profile
While I do love old country, like Waylon, Merle and Willie, I can't seem to listen to the new stuff. When Dwight Yoakum and Patty Loveless fell out of favor in the Nashville set, I lost interest, too.

On any given day you can find me listening to: Wilco, British folk/political singer Billy Bragg, U2, Patty Griffin, Ray Lamontagne, Ryan Adams, The Band, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gay, Tom Petty, Gillian Welch, The Rolling Stones, and just for good measure, Loudin Wainwright, Kate McGarrigle, Teddy Thompson, Richard Thompson, Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel. My husband is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. Fell in love with watching him perform before I even remotely liked "him" ;)

Obviously, folk and roots music really has a foothold in the way I lean :) I'd consider myself an activist, so this music appeals to me on many levels.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  12:12:13 PM  Show Profile
I think it would be easier for me to say what I don't care for - RAP and stuff like John5 and Marilyn Manson. I can listen to just about everything else.

The other night my son was having a bad time and asked if he could sleep in my bed. I asked he wanted the radio on and he said yes so we started out listening to popular music. He looked at me and said "Mommy, I think we need to find some classical music." I was floored.

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  12:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Love it!! When my son was little he called Classical music "Beauty Music"
I'm with you on not liking rap but I enjoy just about everything else.
Michele

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  5:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Classical music soothes my soul. I absolutely love it. Rap, not so much. I love country music and the older pop music.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  06:08:52 AM  Show Profile
Gotta say it's good ol' doo wop from the 50's and early 60's...I grew up listening to my mom's old 45's and they just stuck with me plus it is impossible to be in a bad mood with that music on! I also like music from the early to mid 70's (pre-disco)...
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1502 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  07:04:02 AM  Show Profile
I love music and enjoy listening to just about all kinds exept jazz, rap, and elevator music. I tend to gravitate towards music with a strong beat.

My alltime favorite rock bands are Wham, Cinderella, Great White, Metallica, Def Leppard, Guns-n-Roses, Motley Crue, Queensryche, Nirvana, Candlebox, Soundgarden and Nickelback. Yep, grew up in Seattle in the 80's....can you tell?

Recently I have discovered and taken a liking to crossover (rock music played with classical stringed instruments) including David Garrett, Apocolyptica and Iron Horse. I played violin in the orchestra through school and have since dabbled with fiddle. I especially love Scandinavian fiddle music but also have a weakness for Beethoven and Tschaikovsky. I think this is why the crossover appeals to me because it pulls both of my musical preferences together.

When I was a kid I loved to listen to my grandparents old records like Bing Crosby, Eddie Arnold, Johnny Horton,and old country songs from various artists including Tanya Tucker, Crystal Gayle, Charley Pride, Ferlon Husky, Hank Williams, and Johnny Cash. They had an old console TV with a drawer that opened to access the player, which I could reach. I got such a kick out of changing the records myself. I still have all of the records but don't currently have a record player so I haven't listened to them for a few years. I even dig new country including Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum and the Dixie Chicks.

I am also a big fan of Reggae music and my favorite artists are Lucky Dube, Ziggy Marley, Bob Marley, Steel Pulse, UB40, Garnett Silk, Toots & Maytals, Gladiators and Big Mountain. This kind of music is great to keep me going with housework, etc when I need a boost. I have a penpal in Jamaica who introduced me to this style of music many years ago. She went to high school with one of Bob Marley's daughters so that's how I got to meet the Marleys when I visited Kingston in 1991.

This is great discussion. Even thought we all have our individual preferences for the most part we all have something in common!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on May 05 2012 07:09:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Classical music is what drives my soul, but I also LOVE LOVE LOVE drumming (not the Ringo kind, the Babatunde Olatunji kind). One current pop performer I really like is Eric Hutchinson. I read a review of a live concert he gave in DC a few years ago that intrigued me enough to check him out. I've bought all his CDs and wish I could see him live someday.
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Music Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page