Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  09:36:20 AM  Show Profile
I have to talk about this. Now with all the technology and being able to e-mail, chat, and see each other on our lap tops I just feel it's still so impersonal. Maybe because I am a woman of 58 and grew up without all this, I'm just not sure. But I do know or feel that if there is a special occasion that invites are being sent, doesn't it seem more special and personable receiving the invite in the mail. There is just something to say about going to the mail box, opening the handle and seeing a pretty colorful invitation! It's such a wonderful surprise especially if you had no clue about it. Handling this pretty colorful little envelope, addressed to the special person it was meant for, just seems exciting. Don't get me wrong, if it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have all these special Sister's from Mary Jane's Farm to share my world with. But I do feel some things should remain the same. I probably will get much feedback on this or maybe not, but I just had to voice my opinion (even though no one asked for it lol). To all my farmgirl's out there, love ya!

Friends are the Flowers in the Garden of Life
Farmgirl #3842

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  10:21:20 AM  Show Profile
My girls still send out invitations beautiful fun invitations. I love them. They did not get the practice from me. But I do love to get them and save I them.I just really never do anything that would require them.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  4:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Joan, I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way. I'm fine with whoever wants to read a book on a screen or on the computer, but, for me, I want to be able to hold the book in my hands, turn the pages, etc... I do several things on the computer, but I do miss the old fashion ways of doing things. That is my opinion.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7625 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7625 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  6:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Well I agree with everyone of you, I love reading a real book and the smell of old ones and knowing that they are better than a kindle because you know it won't get deleted or a virus or something, and I love getting mail and have so enjoyed all the swaps from my sisters from MJF and made so many friends and have had pen pals and lots of cards. I can be as creative as I want or not in the swaps and I love it, besides keeping our Postal Service in business which they really do need. And what is nice, years down the road what ever we do will be there for the future to see and learn from or not. But if it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have met all you beautiful people out there.
Have a wonderful day..
hugs
Darlene

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life or in the life of another" Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  8:24:06 PM  Show Profile
I have boxes full of hand-written letters that I've received over the years--sadly, I haven't received any the last couple of years. I thought about getting a Nook but I love books--real books--too much. I have books that I've bought that I still haven't gotten around to reading, cause I know I eventually will. And I do. As a writer, I don't feel comfortable with electronic submissions but that's how a lot of it is done now. There's a new literary journal that I want to submit my poems to, but it's an e-journal. Sigh--it's just not the same as having the hard copy.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Valkyrie922
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Sarah
Philippi West Virginia
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  10:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies! I am only 30, a part of the tech generation, and my fiance is a "Network Security Engineer" BUT I totally agree with you about having actual paper books in your hands, and receiving mail.

A couple years ago I challenged myself to actually write out one thank-you note every day for 30 days, and send it in the mail. I got through about 20 days before life got in the way, and I never finished the challenge. But recently, I have been compelled to pull out the Thank you cards again.

Did you know that 150 years ago, people's brains worked differently altogether? Sociologists know this by studying more primitive cultures. Now we learn more visually, but back then people learned more by listening. It wasn't uncommon for people to hear a story, lesson, or poem, and be able to recite it almost perfectly after just one go. Things began to change as resources like paper and books became more readily available. There was less of a need for people to remember exactly what they had heard, and so our brains began to work differently.

I figure that my children will be different even from me when it comes to learning. A couple weeks ago I was without internet here at the house for a couple days, and for a moment I found myself almost crippled by it -- since I couldn't go look up the answer to every question I had at the drop of a hat. I hope, at least, to make sure that my kids know the value of memorizing what you've heard, and the value of actually writing and keeping things on paper!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I agree with you. My son loves to play an online game with friends all over the world. He gets so mad at me though when he starts explaining something to me in tech speak and I haven't a clue. I just say "English, Please!!" That's when the eye rolling starts.

I like technology to an extent - I mean I wouldn't have all you as "sisters" if we didn't have the internet, but I do miss getting together with 'real' people!

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  05:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I've loved embracing all of it... but it took awhile for me to warm up to all this technology!

Last month I mailed little money gifts to our great-nieces and nephews. One young mommy replied instantly with a Facebook thank you. It was fun knowing the very moment they'd received it. The next day, another young mommy came over to my house... the little girls carrying a bouquet of tulips for me. And a week later (when I was beginning to wonder if this baby had received his card in the mail), here came a wonderful handwritten thank you note on the sweetest personalized stationery.

I treasure communication! =)

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  06:13:43 AM  Show Profile
I guess I'm kind of a combo girl...I do like to keep in touch with family and friends via facebook since so many of them live far away, but I also do a lot of penpal writing (and I usually handwrite all my letters). I do own a nook but I also read tons of regular books. I do own a cell phone but I pretty much have it so the school can reach me if I'm out or if there is an emergency. I own an online business but I enjoy stepping away from the computer to do tons of offline things (esp. crafting!)...yep, I'm a combo girl. However, my 20 yo dd is all about technology!!!
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  06:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
This is all very interesting...I realize the new technology is the sign of the times ..all of our younger people...(pre-school on up)...are not intimidated by any of the "NEW"...I am one who is trying to learn the basics of the "NEW"...I know I have to know some...(enough to get by?...maybe...enough to use MJF..lol...yep..works for me..)...that being said...I feel the younger ones are being "cheated" (for lack of a better word)...Schools no longer have the time or feel the importance of the "hand written word"..therefore..many cannot print or write good enough to send hand written .. some cannot spell...it is all done by computer etc...spell check... well you get the drift here...I look back on the written words of the past..the writing is beautiful..a lost art..and it makes me sad..yes girls...I too, love to receive a nice, hand written note but like to be on line to read MJF...so there ya go....that is the way it is..

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Technology Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page