farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  06:45:54 AM  Show Profile
We just got two bottle feeder goats this weekend. My question is about our 3 week old La Mancha (who is a bit small for its age as it had a rough start to life.)

He's been fine the past two days, active, eating, all that good stuff. This morning he is not interested in eating, is a raspy, and seems to be shivering a bit. It did get very cold last night (after weeks of warm weather) but they were under a heat lamp.

He is not running a temp and does not have any discharge but he's obviously not in as good of condition as he was the past couple days. My research says its not pneumonia because there is no discharge and he's not running a temp. (It was 103 rectally, which I was told was normal for goats.) Any idea what this could be or what we should watch out for or what we should be doing?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  06:53:48 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like possibly shipping fever. I will ask my friend Linda (wooliespinner her), as I am going to her house later today for feed. She is an expert on all thngs goats.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  06:58:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your help, Lisa. We greatly appreciate it, and any other advice anyone wants to give!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Amy
I know many breeders will actually give a shot of penicillin? (not sure what it is) before a baby goat is shipped to help offset this.
Molly's site has a wealth of info http://fiascofarm.com/
& I recently discovered this place, http://goat-link.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
These gals really know their goats, & my experience has been that large animal vets do not concentrate on goats as much as cows or horses, & therefore get stumped.
I had a sitution with one of may goats, & posted a question there, & had a 2 page response, VERY detailed.
Good luck, keep us posted & I will ask Linda to put her 2 cents in too (although hers is more like 100 cents)
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  07:38:45 AM  Show Profile
We love the fiasco farm site - it's really been a help to us! Do you know Molly? Is she a farm girl here?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  10:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Is it possible that the little goat is too warm cause of the heat lamps. When my baby goats are born they are put in an unheated pickup bed with a camper and fiberglass windows with a bunch of clean straw. It makes the perfect incubator. We have done this in very cold temps down to -30. The thing is goats even babies can tolerate cold temps but not drafts so well. If they are kept too warm it sort of messes up their core temperature and they can start to develop pneumonia. I would say to just put the babies in a box in the house at room temp for a while so they can acclamate then when they are feeling better take them outside on nice days for short periods till they get stronger. But if even room temp is too cool for the sick one at first then put a little toddler or baby sweater or t shirt on it till it is feeling better.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  1:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Amy I would take the baby to the vet if possible. Phenmonia is not always obvious until they are in the throws of it. Anytime a baby sounds a little raspy and won't eat they are in trouble and you don't have long to get on it.The vet can listen to the baby's lungs and tell you for sure. If no vet is available I would give the little one some probios (its a blue paste that is like giving them yoguart) you can find this at a feed store. This puts back the good bacteria in their gut. Next I would get started on a antibiotic for at least 3 days (liquid Sulmet is a good one and can be given as a drench or Penicilin which is by injection)Both can be purchsed from most feed stores. If the baby won't eat I would carefully give electrolytes (very carefully so it doesn't asperate the fluid) with a dose sryinge so it doesn't dehydrate.If you have nutradrench for goats thats excellent for giving them energy.
Make sure it doesn't get too hot with a heat lamp.

Its hard to diagnose over the internet and know whats going on without seeing the little one but you need to really get it to the vet or start something at home. Good luck and let us know how the little goat is doing.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  3:08:14 PM  Show Profile
The lil' baby has now eaten about 6 oz the last two feedings and is no longer raspy. I have some people here (around home) telling me the baby just got too cold. We've been having temps of 70s the last few weeks and then last night it got down into low 30s with rain and snow. He's no longer shivering, no longer raspy, and is running around and playing. I'm wondering if he just got too cold?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  8:52:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,
Just saw this post, hope that the lil one is ok. Glad to read that he seems better.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic baby goat sick with...?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page