Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Cuttin' Loose With Carole King EXPANDED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cuttin' Loose With Carole King EXPANDED Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  7:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

After posting the first time, I wrote a little more in an email to non-MJF friends, and thought I'd share more of our story... Hope you enjoy it! ---

Have you ever had this experience? I don't know what has come over me! Over the weekend, we stopped at a music resale shop for our son, and I happened across Carole King's "Tapestry" album. Oh! HAD to have it! Bought it, stuck it in my purse and forgot all about it until tonight. I put it in the cd player and have been belting out the tunes and dancing ever since! I feel so relaxed and happy and nostalgic. I think my guys think I've lost my mind! LOL!

Suddenly I'm 21 again...

My cousin Monique was my soul sister; the best friend a girl could have. But she and I aren't really cousins. She moved to RI with my husband's cousin, who had recently been relocated there by his company. I wasn't sure what to expect when I met her, to be honest. My experience in meeting my husband's family and friends had been less than warm, to say the least. They made it perfectly clear: I was the "outsider," and it was going to take a lot before they let me "in." As a result, the prospect of meeting Monique was a little unsettling. I had no idea what she was going to be like, and yet I was faced with the task of welcoming and befriending her. I felt serious pressure, let me tell you. I later learned that her experience with her husband's family and friends had been less than stellar as well. What a relief! We both had experienced the same reservations about meeting each other. We hit it off from the get go.

I immediately understood what her husband loved so much about her. She was a lighthearted kind of person who really didn't take things very seriously. She had the kind of perspective on life and people that caused you to laugh at both the simplest and most complicated of things. Somehow the air around her was fresher; easier to breathe. She accepted everyone just as they were; there were no pretenses, no expectations, no pressures. Her infectious laughter would just tickle your heart, then it'd move down to your belly, and before you knew it, your whole being would be shaking with giddiness and you simply couldn't catch your breath! And ooooh, how she loved Carole King! "You've Got a Friend" was not only her favorite song, but quickly became our theme song. We'd be driving down the road in her beat up old Bronco, belting it out with all our hearts, air flowing freely through the windows and dancing in our hair. Good times. REALLY good times. The world was ours, and anything was possible. Whenever we packed up and hauled out for our special little "girlfriend" excursions, Carole King was right there with us celebrating the ride.

I must confess, though: back then, we were so bad. We were quite well known for our special little "escapes" (Although, I'm sure some would instead refer to them as "escapades."). We'd set the plan the night before: I would skip classes the next day, and as soon as her son was off to school, we'd be on our way. We'd be so determined about our plan, that neighbors would shake their heads as they witnessed us climb in under the vehicle's hood and duct tape the engine's wires together. Whatever it took to get the motor running, we were game. Before you knew it, the engine would be sputtering and off we'd go! We had no money to speak of - we were young and just starting out! But being able to jerry-rig our way to the open road made us feel like a million bucks. We'd laugh and laugh at ourselves - how could we be so ridiculous? We didn't have a penny to our name to spend! We might even run out of gas! Ah, but our boys.. we knew they loved us; they would come and find us eventually... And Carole was there, so what was the worry? Oh, it was fun. MAN was it fun!

Yeah... we were really bad. Sneaky, too. We'd be sure to buy lots of 99 cents balogna whenever it was on sale, so we could make the boys big honkin' sandwiches to take with them to work... and then we'd save up the difference so we could sneak off to have a really nice lunch at some fancy little restaurant or bistro - just the two of us... Giggling, sharing, dreaming... Celebrating life, planning our families, dreaming of who we'd become... Wishing on stars twinkling in our wine glasses. Our secret little "girl getaways" were the best. The waiters were all in on our little ruse, and would often tease us mercilessly until we'd actually started to worry they'd alert our guys and the jig would be up. We made sure they always got really good tips, I assure you. ;) And, to be honest, our consciences almost always got the best of us... we'd stop on the way home to splurge on a nice steak or shrimp or even sometimes a lobster for the guys' supper. It was because of them, after all, we got to go out and have a little fun! ;)

Ah, carefree youth. We just had so much fun. I miss those days. I miss how uncomplicated life was back then. I miss my cousin so much. "So Far Away," became more even meaningful as the years passed. We eventually had to part ways, life took over... From time to time I hear news of her through passing encounters with mutual friends, or one of her sons will stop by unexpectedly, which is a real treat. There is a rare occasional phone call, full of laughter and reminiscing, tales of our growing families and the crazy things our kids - and sometimes even we - do. We always make promises to set time aside to get together before we hit the nursing home... And we laugh some more. Somehow, it feels like we'll never really get to see each other again, though. Somehow "yesterday" and Carole King seem to be all we need. Only now, being here, belting it out on my own, there's a "titch" of sadness, as she would say. And I have two wonderful men downstairs who just can't seem to grasp why this makes me so lighthearted and happy, and yet I've got tears in my eyes. I wish they could experience the memories with me... like she did... Then again, it wouldn't be the same. It's a girl thing. A cousin thing. A Monique thing. A Carole thing. We'll always have Carole.

>sigh<

Ahhhh, Monique... She made the stars seem reachable; she made secrets and dreams turn into treasure. We were anything but wealthy, but she really did teach me that no matter what my state in life, I am the richest girl in the world...and boy, that makes life fun. I am blessed indeed!

So, here's to you, my dear cousin - Belting out "Where You Lead..." with our old pal Carole... and remembering how great it was to follow!

I think tonight I'm lead to share this with all of you, because whenever I'm "with" all of you on this awesome Farmgirl Connection, is when I feel that "happy girl" feeling again the most. You are all treasures to me! Just like my cousin Monique, may you, my dear farmgirl sisters, always know that in me, "You've Got A Friend!"

Hugs -

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 03 2012 08:52:58 AM

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6585 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6585 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  7:37:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini, I too remember singing that song as a teenager and "belting" it out like you said, like I was the only one around and I thought I could really sing. You've Got a Friend is one of Carole King's greatest song I think, thank you for sharing your story, and you are right about our FArmgirl Connection, it makes me feel happy and loved.
Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  9:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Nini, just like you, I loved Carole King. The memories are flooding back to me. Now I'll never get to sleep. LOL. I had the Tapestry album, knew if word to every song. My friends and I would "go riding" and sing, sing, sing with Carole. The melodies to the songs were out of sight! Yes, those were the days of fun, music, no worries, etc... Thanks for posting about this. Tomorrow morning, I'm looking for that album. You'll probably hear me singing, because I'll be belting out the lyrics. Thanks, again, Nini. Debbie, you may hear me too.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  06:43:11 AM  Show Profile
Knew every word too. My faves were "It's Too Late" & "Will YOu Still Love Me Tomorrow"
That along with Carly Simons original album of the same name & her No Secrets with "You're So Vain"
Reminds me of my HS Bfriend
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  07:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I think I am just four years behind you. Our high school music was anything by The Cars. A few years ago, my best Friend in HS told me she starts to cry when she hears anything by the Cars. She must get some odd looks, because their music isn't exactly sentimental. But, that was the album we listened to going to school everyday! She would pick me up in a beat up toyota pick up. They don't even make them anymore. With the custom gear shift knob that her boyfriend made in wood shop!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  07:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Debbie! I'm so glad to know it's not just me! If my windows were open last night, my neighbors would've been wearing earplugs!!! You're so funny!

Marly!!! I couldn't sleep, either! If we lived closer, we could've taken a long ride and reminisced and sung to our heart's content! I hope you find the album soon! There's just something about Carole... Good times!

Lisa! I almost picked up the Carly Simon CD that day! I love her, too! But while I was reading the list of songs, I remembered Carole King. Then all the memories flooded in about my cousin, and there was no re-considering! So funny! "You're So Vain" reminds me of my first "love." Boy, did that song fit him to a "t"! LOL!! What did I ever see in such a person?

Oh!!! "Candy-O"!!!!!! LOVE IT, Marianne! I totally "get" it! "Let's Go!" Oh my gosh! That reminds me of an old high school boyfriend, too. He was the first guy I dated to have muscles! He loved horror movies, and taught me to laugh out loud during the scarey parts so I wouldn't be scared. Ohhhh man... That was so long ago!

Sometimes I think about the nursing home my foster daughter works in, and what all those dear people used to be like... What music they listened to, who their favorite comedian was, were they "wild" or "tame"... Then I wonder what a place like that will look like when I get there. Can you imagine my great-grandkids coming to visit and experiencing "granny" belting out Van Halen or hoarsely rockin' with Joan Jet? LOL! Oh my gosh! Too funny!!! Maybe I'll forget... I'm more a Sandi Patti kind of girl nowadays... Maybe that'll stick and save them from trauma! LOL!!! Oh, what is happening to me?!!! LOL!!

Thanks for sharing the memories with me, girls! SO much fun!!!

Hugs -

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 03 2012 07:50:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6585 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6585 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  08:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Alright ladies, it is a blizzard here, lots of snow and I am alone, soooooooooooooooooo I have just pulled out my Carole King and Carly Simon CD's and I am off to take my bath. Singing in the bath tub is one of my favorite things to do. Carole King/Carly Simon here we go!
Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  08:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my goodness! Nini you make me smile! Bringing back memories, but I never had "bud" girlfriend to share all of that with.
Now, it's my daughter and we DO have a blast together, I just wish we didn't live 400 miles apart!

Debbie . . . you stay warm and cozy over there on the Front Range . . it's not a blizzard or snowing on the Western Slope, my side of the mountain.
HUGS TO YOU GIRLS!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  09:26:22 AM  Show Profile
wow- a flood of memories just came to me as i read this thread!
i was 18 and just out of high school----......cannot even put words on this page ...just know that carole-and carly-are very close to my heart!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:39:09 AM  Show Profile
I love that you guys are "feeling the Carole thing" with me today! All morning, emails have been trickling in from friends all over the country who are remembering and feeling with us, too. How cool is that?

I think my cousin's love of Carole King came from her mother, who had passed when my cousin was very young. She used to tell stories about her Mom belting out songs from the Tapestry album into the wee hours of the night, and I know it always gave her such a sense of her mother's love enveloping her to hear them. Forward to 1986, and here were the two of us, celebrating OUR young lives to Carole King. Her songs are still just as relevant today as they were back in 1971, and to us in '86, I think. I was listening to them again in the van a little while ago while running an errand with my son. He's the kind of kid who likes that screamer Christian rock - something that I simply cannot find my way into. That is one reason I can honestly say, "Thank God for the iPod." Anyhow, when I put the cd in, he rolled his eyes and scoffed. Before I knew it, his head was bobbing forward and back, and he said, "You know, Mom, this is actually pretty good. I like it!" Whoa... Yet another generation feeling the love! Makes me happy. May Carole's words continue weaving a full "Tapestry" for generations!

A couple of girlfriends reminded me of our love for James Taylor, too. He's another one whose music just takes me away. His voice just moves ever fiber of my being. And Oh! John Denver, too.. I still remember how my aunt used to play his albums over and over and over as we sat in her cozy farm kitchen preparing special meals for the family. I especially loved listening to him while looking out her frost-painted window at the blustery winds tossing flurries of snowflakes to the ground. "Rocky Mountain High," baby. I've never been there, but somehow, I felt its magic.

Please keep sharing your stories, girls - I'm just loving this! And Debbie - do keep warm, but always stay cool! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 03 2012 10:41:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:46:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh... and Gordon Lightfoot... Oh my goodness! Gordon Lightfoot...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  3:36:16 PM  Show Profile
I was too young to remember who sang "Both Sides Now" but I remember the song. So many good songs that I never hear anymore.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  4:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Great story Nini- and I agree- I definately can feel the love and am at home here on the Farmgirl Connection!
Love, Love, Love, Carole King, James Taylor (ole JT), Carly Simon- now those were the good ole days of REAL music (boy do I hear my mother in that phrase?) LOL
Thanks for sharing such a great memory with us- You sing it girl, and by the sounds of it you just might hear the chorus behind you in your farmgirl sisters!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  4:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, this was fun to read. In high school I had a best friend, and still do. In high school, and after graduation, we'd go dancing. We loved to dance. We both played saxophone in band and we loved music. Our choice of music wasn't Carole King, but Bob Seger, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Foreigner, The GoGo girls, Kenny Loggins, J. Geils and so many more. Every time I hear 80's music I just wanna dance and shout out. My kids think I'm nuts, but I loved those years.

Thanks for sharing this.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  5:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Nini: John Denver was one of my favorites, still is. Oh! I could go on and on about; Marvin Gaye, Conway Twitty, etc... I'm still looking for my Carole King album. I'm going to turn this already messed up house into another messed up house, if I don't find it soon. The tunes are flooding through my brain...
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  5:41:25 PM  Show Profile
What about these songs. I remember them so well.... Some, I remember too well. "Key Largo", Bertie Higgins, "Me and Mrs. Jones", Billy Paul, "You're So Vain", Carly Simon, "Please Come To Boston", Dave Loggins, "Mellow Yellow", Donovan, and "Daniel", and "Crocodile Rock" Elton John. What memories!
Marly

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  6:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Gordon Lightfoot, The Carpenters, John Davidson, The Lettermen, Neil Diamond, Ed Ames, Beach Boys, Andy Williams . . .

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  7:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I just LOVE you all!!!!

Cindy - wasn't that Joni Mitchell??? My mother used to play that on her guitar and sing it all the time! I remember she had a big songbook of Joni Mitchell. My mom had the most beautiful voice... still does, as a matter of fact. Whenever my parents had parties, she and one of their friends would harmonize to Joni Mitchell, keeping me and my siblings awake all night long... Oh my gosh - that brings back memories. Really GOOD memories. My mom used to sing "Leaving on a Jet Plane," and it always brought me to tears - still does to this day!!! But that wasn't Joni Mitchell, was it? Or was it? I know John Denver sang it... Who else did? I can't remember. Love Joni Mitchell, though. Love her.

MARLY! Those are some of my favorite songs!!! And CJ - The Carpenters! The Beach Boys! Oh!!!! Kristina! My husband and I went to see Foreigner together when we first met - it was my first concert, and it was AWESOME! And I love the GoGo Girls! And Bob Seger!

LOL! Laurie - welcome to the club, girlfriend. I hear my mother's voice come right out of me all the time when my son's blaring his noise. LOL! To each generation their own, I suppose! And Kristina, my son and his friends think I'm nuts, too. So what?! LOL!!! Don't worry, girls - you're in good company! We ALL are! ;)

You girls just ROCK. You just ROCK!

Hugs -

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  7:36:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh and Marly! That song "Daniel," also used to make me cry as a kid... My babysitter's brother went off to Vietnam at the tail end of the war (conflict?). I was just a little kid then. One day not long after he was gone, we learned he had been killed in action. I will never, ever, ever forget that feeling. And whenever I heard that song, I'd think of him, and how devastated our babysitter was, sitting on her front lawn, tears just pouring down her cheeks. What a time that was, huh. And now... thinking of Simon and Garfunkel. Loved them, too. >Sigh< And the Mamas and the Papas... "California Dreamin..."

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  8:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Well, all of the above, but these days I dedicate these songs to my various horses. They each have their own oldie song or songs. Yes I'm weird. But my horses understand. We have Traveller the Tennessee Walker = Please come to Boston cause of the verse "I'm the number one fan of the man from Tennessee, Hunny my old palomino= The locomotion, Wildfire my pinto trail horse = Wildfire by Michael Murphy, Sequoia my fav barrel horse = Stayin alive, Baby hang on to me, Our stallion Sunny = Take it easy by the Eagles, it goes on and on (there's 23 of them). It's like a weird horse soap opera around here. But I guess the one that covers them all is "Its all part of my rock and roll fantasy" Oh and the chickens "Ive got friends in low places" and my dog who worships me "Close to you" and honestly I'm in NM but Hotel California is so my life. So I would say pick up your songs and move on and find new meanings for them.
Make new friends but keep the old.
Those are silver these are gold.
New made friendship like new wine.
Age will mellow and refine.
Make new friends but keep the old.
Those are silver these are gold.
Author unknown
Now if your thinking this girl spends too much time in the woods, well, your probably right.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  8:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Nini--Peter, Paul and Mary sang "Leaving on a Jet Plane". How about "Puff, the Magic Dragon" and "Blowin' in the Wind"? And "Country Roads, Take Me Home". I think my favorite John Denver song was "Annie's Song". I'll probably hear those songs in my dreams tonight!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6585 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6585 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  06:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Memories! All of you ladies are bringing up so many wonderful memories for me. Hubby and I met in high school and were barely 19 years old when we got married, he joined the army and we traveled all over the United States and World. All those songs and artists saw us through our early years of marriage, the military and many lonely nights for me. Oh we had good times, bad times but always so much fun, 38 years later we are still singing the songs, having fun and loving each other more than ever. The group Chicago is one of our favorites as on one of our earliest dates hubby took me to a dance and we heard Color My World by Chicago, today that song still touches my heart and brings me to happy tears. It is our song and now years later when we hear it no matter where we are we dance, and remember our first dance and how it became our song.
Alright I am tearing up now,(hubby is gone on his fire fighting contract, been gone a month, with a few more to go) thanks for all the memories without them life might be pretty dull"-)
Hugs,
Debbie

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Apr 04 2012 06:45:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  07:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Dionne Warwick, Abba, Engelbert Humperdinck, Tom Jones . . .
The Beatles hit the US of A when I was in high school . . :)

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  08:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I remember when the Beatles appeared for the first time on the Ed Sullivan Show. OMGoodness!!!! I was in love!!!!!!!!
How about these songs; "My Lover's Prayer", Otis Redding, and also "Sitting on the Docks of the Bay"; "Your Precious Love", Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrel, I loved that one; "Red, Red Wine", Neil Diamond, that was the song me and my first boyfriend absolutely loved!!!!; and the Four Tops, "Reach Out I'll Be There"; "The Tennessee Waltz", Patti Page; "Come Monday", Jimmy Buffet, and don't forget Donnie and Marie Osmond.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Oh, my Sweetie hubby just brought in three boxes of record albums. Maybe Carole King is in one of those boxes. Later! I'm going to look.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  2:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Get out!!! You girls will never guess what just came in my email from Barnes & Noble!!! http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/natural-woman-carole-king/1100604616?r=1&ean=9781455512614&cm_em=ginger_pumpkin_hollow%40comcast.net&cm_mmc=Non-Member-_-This_Week-_-120409_NH_PRODUCT_OFFERS-_-nra30 OH!!! I have to have it!!!! LOL!!!

Marly - what did you find in your box???

Cindy - My mother used to play "Puff the Magic Dragon" on her guitar and sing it to us when we were kids!

You know, I just was emailing Marly - it's amazing how, for me, so many memories, people and places are associated with songs. Just thinking about them brings a song to mind! Kinda like what you are talking about with your horses, Laura... I just love that!

Who sings "Dust in the Wind" - do you remember? That song always makes me cry...

You're all recalling such wonderful memories for me. Makes me think I really need to start journaling some of these memories and seeing if I can find some pictures to go with them, you know?

What memories do these songs bring back for all of you? I'd love to hear all about them! Debbie - your story really made me smile and say, "Awwww..." :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cuttin' Loose With Carole King EXPANDED Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page