melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  03:47:42 AM  Show Profile
It is still very, very dry here in the Great North Woods. I've never seen anything quite like it ever. Usually our spring weather is consistently rainy-Not this year. The grass is crunchy, my gardens are suffering and my perennials for the first time ever are burning to a crisp.Up North from us there have been massive fires stopping only in some areas when the fire met the lake-shore. Those thankfully, have been contained only after many homes, cottages, and vacation spots were burned to the ground.

Makes me wonder what July and August are going to be like.

What is happening to our "normal" weather? And, when is it going to rain?

Melody
Farmgirl #525

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  3:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I hear ya' Melody! Same thing here and I'm sure most of you are aware of the horrible, devastating fire near Ft. Collins, CO. That is just the REALLY HUGE one!
There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many fires in the west/southwest! It is hotter than normal and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dry!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jun 17 2012 3:17:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  3:28:58 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking of you today CJ and the fires in CO!

They finally have the fire up North contained but the photos we've seen are staggering....As you know it's a real tourist area this far north and so many people rely on the income to sustain them throughout the year-It's very sad. No one wants to visit a burned out area with burned out campgrounds and lodges.

DH and I talked about this maybe happening over the winter-We had one snowstorm to speak of virtually unheard of here and we were dreading what might happen during the summer. Both of us thinking some serious rain shortage, but we've never experienced this before. My grass is crunchy-my plants are stunted and not doing anything in my raised beds-I feel so bad. Even our fruit trees are dropping fruit-We live in town so we are able to use city water to help out but my goodness it's expensive!

Keep safe CJ and know we are praying for rain for you as well as the rest of the country-

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  5:08:19 PM  Show Profile
I would be more than thrilled to send you some of our rain! We were in a drought but now gettin close to Ark building time. It just needs to stop so can get into fields and get them planted!!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  6:06:34 PM  Show Profile
I live 30 miles east of where the Colorado fires are. Today the smoke from them is thick. My eyes are burning and it smells like a camp fire. My Dad lives about 15 miles from where they are at. I was worried about him, but he said they are fine. He is more worried about the smoke seeping in through the wimdows and making the curtains smell. I told him it reminds me of all the camping trips he took us on. He told me it reminded him of the time I started a fire in the fireplace and forgot to open the flute.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  7:18:35 PM  Show Profile
It's dry here in Illinois, too. I drove across the Mississippi River bridge today and there was a huge sandbar visible that's usually covered with water. It rained good last night, but we need it to rain that way every night for about a week. I can't get anything in my vegetable garden to grow.You can see the cracks in the earth and the grass is crunching underfoot. No wildfires here, but we had one in a state park last year or was it the year before? I hope ya'll get some rain and they get the fires under control. I know it's scary to live close to where the fires are burning. Praying that everyone stays safe.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  7:39:26 PM  Show Profile
So many of my friends have lost all in the fires near Fort Collins - it breaks my heart and we live on the edge each day as everthing around me is turning brown. With the dry lightening storms of late all you can do is hope that you will be spared - I hate this and is wears a person out... I hope all will get the weather they need but I know that does not happen so we just pray.. Oh and run water to animals almost round the clock.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  7:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Had a little rain here in Iowa yesterday, but it really didnt make much of a dent. The beans are starting to curl up in the fields. Rae, I'd gladly take some of that rain off your hands!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  8:19:32 PM  Show Profile
It takes on an almost physical yearning needing rain don't you think? It seems once the rain comes after a long, long period of drought it brings a release that you can actually feel-

We were hoping to have a good amount of steady-intermittent rain this summer because our lake levels are so low-a steady decline for quite a while now-Makes me think our Great Lakes will never be the same-Great for added shoreline but it looks so strange especially when I remember the water levels being a lot higher when I was in high school. I believe the Earth is changing girls and RAPIDLY!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  05:06:32 AM  Show Profile
We finally got a little bit yesterday, however, I still like we need more.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  06:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yes! Melody, that is exactly it! This dryness puts you on edge. Because of our previous fire and the current conditions we have 2 1/2 inch fire hoses rigged up to our irrigation system. It's just plain scary!
Like Grace says, it absolutely wears you out . . it very stressful!

Check out the thread in WEATHER, started by our own Debbie, "WILDLAND FIRES IN COLORADO". She's really close to one of them!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jun 18 2012 06:39:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  07:31:35 AM  Show Profile
last summer all it did was rain and now we are really dry. did get some rain for a few hours yesterday but my grass could be bailed for straw, I water my few veggies I planted but amnot going to pay to water the grass everyday
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  08:46:29 AM  Show Profile
We had a little rain over the weekend but...not much. Everything is dry except the air, which is so humid it feels like it's hogging all the water for itself. They are predicting rain today, so I cleaned the car just to make sure of it!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  09:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Alce- I hear what you are saying...if this humidity doesn't lighten up, I'll have to stay home this afternoon- my hair won't make it thru the door to my office!!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile
We had some real thunder and rain last night and it is cloudy today-but it hardly made any significant difference-we could use a couple of days of steady gentle rain-I've given up on what's left of the lawn, but I am worried about our fruit trees!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile
We had rain for the longest time, great for the pasture, now, it's dry, dry, dry. The pasture is looking a bit sucky, too. I thought we'd have good grass growing for a while longer. All we're getting is lots of wind, cold wind! When the wind isn't blowing, the skeeters are out and about and driving my animals nuts. They are doused in fly spray morning and nite!!

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  1:10:15 PM  Show Profile
You know why can't it just even out, I need some dry for a while and you all need my rain

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  1:57:09 PM  Show Profile
RAIN! It's currently rumbling like mad and our weather radar indicates we are in for a DOOZY of a thunderstorm...Thank goodness!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  2:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Mel - I just got through reading this, and walked outside and got DRENCHED! We had a small summer shower, and I am grateful for every single rain drop. It didn't last more than a couple of minutes, but we need rain so badly I didn't even care that my car windows were cracked for ventilation and my freshly washed hair was soaked! I'll blow hard and maybe send those showers your way!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
http://thefarmwife.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile
It's getting kind of scary here with all the warnings, but oh the rain is WONDERFUL!

Thanks Julie Belle for the info about the farmhouse in Michigan-It's very, very, close to where Bruce's parents live!

I never would have seen it if you hadn't have let me know-Love you lots-Talk to you soon!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  7:40:59 PM  Show Profile
Wish I could send you all some of mine, I am sick of rain. I want the sun to show up. Or just warm up to temperatures in the 70's. Maybe I should come up with a way to bottle it up and call it Seattle Rain and create a shower head type lid so you could sprinkle some rain drops....

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa

Edited by - erowease on Jun 18 2012 7:44:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  5:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Ok we have flooding now. Don't know if anyone saw Duluth MN and the damage yesterday, well that is about 50+ miles north of me and the town next to us, where I work, is flooding as I write. It is scary, the school has flooding, where I work and just the whole town. I can get to the little town I am from and we can't get anywhere else as roads are closed. It is crazy and you can sure have some of this water. To top it off it is now thundering out!
Just needed to scream

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  7:34:29 PM  Show Profile
I know!!! We've been to Duluth many times and I can't imagine what it must be like right about now. My thoughts and prayers are with you Rae! Take care....

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  04:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Moose Lake Mn is where the big flooding is now from the lake so it doesn't just run through and go away. My best friends daughters both have homes flooded there. The School is surrounded by water and ....just so sad to see and so personal when it is where you work or live.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  05:29:32 AM  Show Profile
I do pray you all get rain that you need, and it knows when to stop

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  1:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My daughter and I have traveled across my home state of Colorado this week . . . the entire state is frighteningly dry and just SOOOOOOO many fires. We've seen several smaller ones that have grown and there is now one in Weber Canyon which is down in my corner of the state.
My hubby says it's growing and you can see the glow of the fire at night. It's also hotter than normal, no rain, no humidity and too much wind!
Sooooo scary and so discouraging!
PRAYING!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic When is it going to rain?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page