Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  12:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Being fairly new to the Sisterhood, I am working hard on my merit badges. I am reading The Soul of a Horse by Joe Camp. It is a truly fantastic read. I really like the way Mr. Camp writes as though he is merely having a one-on-one, sit-down conversation with us. I witnessed a gentleman with Wild Horse Ministries use a similar Join-Up method with a horse last Spring. It was one of the most wonderful and moving things I had ever seen.

I always thought I'd never have enough patience to do that type of thing, but my animals have taught me a great deal about patience. I believe one day I would like to try this training method, myself. Of course, I will have to do lots of research first, which I don't mind at all. I've been on a very steep learning curve for the last two years, and I love it!

If you haven't read Camp's book, please give it a try. It is such a moving, parallel story.

~Jennifer~
Farmgirl #3803

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  12:58:04 PM  Show Profile
I'll check this book out on Amazon.com. It sounds really interesting. I love any book about animals or how animals can teach us.
Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Several of us here, including myself, have read that book. Excellent book too.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  11:22:49 AM  Show Profile
I attended a showmanship clinic with my children last night, and I was delighted to see the presenter demonstrate how to halter break a calf using the same method described in the book with a horse.

This gentleman is an employee of our state extension service and travel to our part of the state to conduct this workshop for our 4-Hers and FFA students.

My husband and I often disagree on the "best way" to do things with our animals. He grew up around some animals, and I did not. However, I have read and researched extensively since we first began acquiring animals. I know there is no substitute for experience, but I was just so tickled when Mr. Jones used the natural training method and it worked. He had progress with the calf in less than 10 minutes. My husband and step-son worked weeks last spring with a calf to make the same amount of progress. It was such a tense time around our farm. My husband kept saying "We have to teach her who's boss.". I would disagree and say, "No, she has to trust you." I cannot even describe how big the smile on my face was last night when Mr. Jones used those same words about establishing trust. My husband was there to hear and watch. I haven't yet told him: "I told ya so.", but I did. Lol.

~Jennifer~
Farmgirl #3803

Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  4:39:41 PM  Show Profile
I have to read that one for my merit badge and to be honest I am not really all that thrilled. I am a horse person and know a fair amount about the critters. Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt, and Buck Brannaman are really some of the truly great thinkers of the equestrian world. They really are the start of the current "natural" horsemanship movement. So I am sure there will not be much I disagree with outright, but listening to what others that I know who have read it I know there are things he said that make me roll my eyes. Not at the "natural" horsemenship aspect but more the fact he seems to have a rather black and white view of it all. Well see.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  5:10:45 PM  Show Profile
all horses are differant, just as people...and I have found that if I study my new equine with sitting and watching, listening to their body language, and how they react to differant sights and sounds, then start with how their ground manners are or are not...I can make a good judgement call on the type of training that horse will require, and if I have to mix and match styles to make the best I can out of this animal, thats what I do...of course this all rides on age, breed, and if they have had bad/hard training/trainers or are they untouched/unspoiled/undamaged...combining differant styles sometimes works the best, research and watch differant trainers and see what seems to be where you want to go with your own horse...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  5:46:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oldbittyhen

all horses are differant, just as people...and I have found that if I study my new equine with sitting and watching, listening to their body language, and how they react to differant sights and sounds, then start with how their ground manners are or are not...I can make a good judgement call on the type of training that horse will require, and if I have to mix and match styles to make the best I can out of this animal, thats what I do...of course this all rides on age, breed, and if they have had bad/hard training/trainers or are they untouched/unspoiled/undamaged...combining differant styles sometimes works the best, research and watch differant trainers and see what seems to be where you want to go with your own horse...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

That is SO true. All animals, humans included, need to be treated as individuals.
Go to Top of Page

Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
I was reared in the city, so my experience with animals of any kind has only been in the recent past. I had a bad experience with a horse when I was in jr high, which helped to create a fear of horses for me. I have overcome that fear within the past two years, but I am still not around horses much. I have a donkey, who I love dearly and responds very well to me and the rest of my family. I don't have horses, though. I just enjoyed reading this book, because it was a parallel story of the history of the horse and Mr. Camp's personal journey. I could relate to some of his thoughts and emotions because we both entered the world of livestock later in life. I have had to learn everything from research, talking with others, and experience (often learning from my mistakes).

I have a true and deep love for my animals, and I approach the care of my animals in a different way than my husband. I have a different philosophy than a few of the cattle farmers around my area. Those farmers may laugh in my face, but I believe in respecting my animals. That's what I took from this book.

I know that no two animals are alike. I work with children all day and have for the last 12 years. No two children are alike, either. They all have to be treated as individuals, just like you ladies have previously stated. My students and my animals teach me daily.

~Jennifer~
Farmgirl #3803

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Soul of a Horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page