Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Help new to chicken and need advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help new to chicken and need advice Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  1:37:37 PM  Show Profile
OK, so how do you care for your chickens? Specifically, how do you clean the coop? How often? What type of litter do you use? What is your routine in caring for your flock?

I've got my four little ladies in the powder room right now and I've got them settled in on a floor of pine shavings. I've been trying to keep the poop scooped up daily (I've been using a cat litter scoop but it's not very effective) and I change the water everyday and wash the container. I've been putting some ACV in with the water on recommendation from this forum although I don't remember why. I make sure they have food and that it's an OK temperature for them.

I know when they move out to their temporary outdoor coop the temperature won't be so much of an issue but what about the rest. Do I continue to clean daily and give them fresh water etc? Oh and I know I'll have to open and close their door for them (hoping DH will put in an automatic door opener when he builds the permanent coop. I've got several more weeks before they head outside but I've been thinking of what all I'll need to do and wonder what your routines are with your girls.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Deep litter is nice in a chicken coop. It doesnt have to be cleaned as often. Wood shavings or straw works well. Also some people use a board under the roost. It can be drug out and cleaned off from time to time. As for little ones you could just line the floor of their box with newspaper and roll it up and discard it each day. Then replace it with fresh. That is what I do, but some folks put in wood shavings for the little ones too.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  5:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Our chickens are on the ground, that is they have a dirt floor in their house. We did put rubber mats down (can't remember why though) and we usually clean it every couple of months in winter and every couple of weeks in summer. We just get in there with a shovel and clean it back down to the mat and clean out the poop boxes--they used to be nest boxes but after last year they decided to start laying in the dirt and pooping in the boxes. They poop more in the boxes than on the floor so there isn't as much to shovel out there, and we use garden trowels to clean out the boxes.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  5:35:19 PM  Show Profile
When I have baby chicks they start out in a simple blue tote that you get at Wal-Mart or Target and we put wood shavings in that you buy at a feedstore. By the time they are big enough that they need another place to live, we put them right into the coop. We don't clean the coop out all winter as we live in Maine but we will shovel it out this spring and then spring, summer, and fall we clean it once a month. We clean out the nests if they happen to poop in them right away and we line the nests with hay and keepputting in more when they have it matted down. We have put various herbs in one nest or another and found, that is the nest they will all lay in. In fact, when we had rosemary in one, they would line up to use it.

We give them water and feed twice a day, in the morning and at night. Both in the tote as little chicks and when they are large chickens. Once they get bigger and are in the coop, we find hanging the water from the ceiling and keeping it off the floor keeps in cleaner longer. We do this with their food too.
Hope that helps you some.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  7:46:47 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of the newspaper and just rolling that up and tossing. I'm having a bit of a time trying to keep the poopy wood shavings cleaned out. Asked DH to help me empty it all out this weekend and I'll put in fresh. I may see how the floor looks and use the newspapers. They are in a large cardboard box right now, roughly 3' x 2'.

When they are big enough to put in the coop, do you put their food and water inside with them or is it outside in the pen? So far they haven't been much maintainance but it's all new territory for this farm girl!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  7:57:29 PM  Show Profile
I just picked up my first chicks last week (one rhode island red, 3 silver laced wyandottes and 1 cornish x broiler to try out when he's grown. He was the last one left of the cornish and had a little infected leg I've been treating.)

This is my process for ducks/geese/turkeys though:

1.)start in a rubbermaid tote bin. I have a 40 gallon tote I use only as a brooder. Pine shavings for litter about an inch deep, I start out cleaning the box every other day, then every day at a week, and by 2-3 weeks they are so big and stinky they go outside in my "nursury pen."

2.)the nursury pen is nothing more than PVC frame that sits on my back yard lawn with chicken wire I hang the chick lamp inside the pen inside the little "coop" I set up-- I have a pet taxi with the door off and a tree pot that had a solid bottom I cut a door into and flip upside down-- whichever works best for the babies I've got.
When the "pen" gets messy I pick it up and move it. In a few days the grass looks incredible where the pen used to be.

3.)When they are big enough to get out of the baby pen I start to let the birds mingle with my adults in the yard to free range for the day-- then I bed them into the baby pen again at night.

4.)When they are big enough to stay out of the baby pen I integrate them into my night time run and "coop" with my adult birds.

5.) Adult birds are housed in a chain link dog run with a main plywood coop and a few weatherproof nesting areas. I've got straw on the "floor" of the run to be soft on their feet. When it gets dirty I put down fresh. If it gets nasty I shovel it out for my compost and THEN put new straw down. They don't really poop in the houses because they don't get locked inside them.

Works for Arizona.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  8:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jen! So far they aren't stinky but they are only 1 1/2 weeks. They seem to be pooping a lot more though and the poop is getting bigger as they get bigger. Not sure I'll be able to let them outside as soon as you do since we are a "bit" colder than AZ! It's been nice the last couple of weeks but we are waiting for the snow to come back and with it the howling winds. We've got our temp coop in a chain link dog run too. Thought that should give them a bit of a yard when they finally go outside.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  9:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Audrey, wait on the newspaper as it is slipper& they can pull thier tendens & you have too many injuries...or use the newspaper but put down a thin layer of the pine shaves so they have something to grip to....With baby chicks i check them thur out the day & replace the water since it tends to get dirty really fast...the ACV you are using is good but only add no more than a 1/4 t if using a pint jar or 1 capful if using a gallon container...its to help with inside parasites & balance out the organs like liver/gizzard....
Once you put them outside just make sure they can't get to something like wiring, strings, thread ect.....I also start them immediately on sandbox sand as a grit as soon as they come to me.....just a light dust over the feed each day will be enough...it helps build up the gizzard strong so once they are outside they have strong gizzards to work the fresh greens/grass/seeds ect.....less gizzard bound that way...Enjoy your new babies! Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  12:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele! I'm glad you said how much ACV to put in, I had been wondering and believe I'm using your recommended dose but I'll double check when I get home tonight. I can give them sand now, at only 2 weeks old? That's good to know, I hadn't thought about the grit. Since I still have a big bag of shavings and few newspaper I guess I'll just keep using it.

So far they aren't as much work as I thought they would be. I only got 4 to begin with since I wasn't sure of the time commitment with them but I seem to not have as much work to do with them right now. Maybe once they get older and outside and I have to check for eggs I'll find them a bit more work. But so far so good!

Here's a picture of them, I think they've changed a lot in the week and 1/2 that I've had them. Especially the brahmas. They are lightening up daily and now have furry feet!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  10:36:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh I am so excited about this topic you started Audrey, because I have MANY of the same questions!! I hope you don't mind if I jump into the discussion!!
I get my 5 chicks (1 rhode island red, 1 jersey giant, 1 plymouth rock, 1 welsummer & 1 buff orphington... as you can see everyone in the family picked their own!!) in about 1 week and I have been reading so much about them. I have read a couple of conflicting things on raising chickens...
First thing... Cedar. I read cedar is toxic to chickens. But now I am seeing so many coops for sale that are made out of cedar. So hubby bought coop plans from mypetchicken.com. We printed them out and they recommended cedar as a building material!! What did you all use?
How does everyone feel about medicated/nonmedicated feed?
Michele.. you mentioned sandbox sand for grit. Is that better than "chick grit"?
Sometimes I feel like I'm overthinking everything... but I would hate for something to happen to them!
By the way Aubrey... your chicks are so cute!! Names??

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348
Little Henhouse on the Island

Keep reading. Keep learning. Keep loving. Keep giving. Keep smiling. Keep listening. Keep forgiving. Keep praying
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  02:10:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Teresa...on the cedar, a house built of it is alright but they will eat the cedar shaving & thats toxic to them if they get the oils but with a building they normally don't peck at the walls ect......
I decided after research to do my new baby chicks on the medicated for the 1st 4-6 weeks I have them but if they are with the momma I still do a small dish of medicated feed for them & momma teaches them the rest of food hunting..if I hatch them myself I do the medicated feed only because I see it as a bonus plus they will not be laying eggs or we will not be butchering them so I want to keep them as healthy as possible...but many don't so do what you feel is right & comfortable for you.
I started giving them sandbox sand as grit cause I couldn't find chick grit up here until this last summer.....bu since its clean & cheap I still use the sand instead of paying big bucks for the chick grit........
also back on the cedar...its a good wood to use as it doesn't fall apart as quick as say pine plus its a natural repellet against alot of bugs?fleas & ticks that your chickens can get.....I think they say to leave the wood out side for a few weeks before you start building with it so it has time to release more of the smell so it doesn't aggrevate the chickens systems......if you want to build a coop on the cheap go get wood pallets I can't tell you how much they have saved me in money...most are pine so easy to work with.....my coops are built from pallets, recycled in house wood & porch ceiling I tore down...I did have to buy a few 2x4s but most everything else I got for free.....sure helped out alot......
Oh aubrey they are sooooo cute...just love fluffy chick butts!!!....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  03:53:14 AM  Show Profile
Michele..Thanks so much!!
Everything you said about the cedar makes so much sense to me now! My husband was trying to explain that it would be difficult to build the coop in most other building materials.. he was like "it's going to rot in a year if I can't use cedar"!! Phew!
I love the idea of using the sandbox sand. It's way cheaper and serves the same purpose.
I'm so excited about getting my chicks. I have been trying to get my husband on board for years!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348
Little Henhouse on the Island

Keep reading. Keep learning. Keep loving. Keep giving. Keep smiling. Keep listening. Keep forgiving. Keep praying
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  06:22:56 AM  Show Profile
I put my girls in a galvanized trough that I had blocked off with cardboard. As they grew, I removed the cardboard so they could have more space. I put them on paper towels at first, because newspaper was too slippery, and they could get a grip on the paper towels.
I also did not put them under a light. Instead, I put their brooder under a window in the garage, and gave them an EcoGlow electric hen by Brinsea. It radiates a natural heat without the artificial light, danger of fire, or regulation of temperature. When the sun came up, they had light, and when the sun went down they went to bed. They could just gather under the electric hen (the yellow thing in the picture) like they do in nature whenever they felt the need to warm up or feel safe. It is adjustable, so you can raise the heat panel as they grow. It puts out enough heat for them, but you can touch it with your bare hand and not get burned and it uses a lot less electricity than a lightbulb.
I loaned the EcoGlow to our friend who just got his first baby chicks and he said they are doing great with it too.
This photo was taken right after they arrived...notice how clean everything still is!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Nice set up Paula! I like that electric Hen, never heard of one but looks neat! I've got mine under the standard heat lamp and we've already raised it up probably to 5'. Not sure what I'm going to do here a little later, don't really want to install a cord from the ceiling for it to hang from but I think that's my next option. Don't want my little chickies to get too hot! I also like that yours get natural light. I've got mine in a powder room with NO windows. All they have are the bath lights poor things! But they seem to be doing OK. I can't wait until they go outside, I just think of chickens as an outdoor creature so being inside is just not right, they need to be outside. I'm glad they aren't outside today though, poor things would be blown away!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help new to chicken and need advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page